Feb 16th, '11, 10:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Recent jade, metal, and clay teapot...

by brandon » Feb 16th, '11, 10:05

I bid $20 on one of his more credible looking pots, I'd like to have a fake teapot or two at the right price, as a learning and teaching tool.

But this guy does not have a short supply of buyers who are willing to go > $100 on these.

Feb 16th, '11, 12:43

by Abracadaver! » Feb 16th, '11, 12:43

Tingjunk... wrote: So you think the pots are more than just modern shoe polish jobs? I'd be shocked to find they have that deep a supply of export Yixing available from auctions. I know many Yixing were exported to Japan in the 30's, but do you know if any other eras were known to be high traffic times?
The plot thickens...

This is a link for a pot that just sold:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8700wt_907

and this is a pot that was just listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/H250-Chinese-vermil ... 8676wt_907

At first glance, I thought "A-HA! Busted!" But at closer look, it is a virtually identical pot from the same maker, but it is definitely a different pot with a different degree of "wear." Not sure if this confirms anyone's suspicions. It is feasible that he got a set from a single collector, but still, it seems a bit fishy. This seller also seems to have a never-ending supply of teaware that he strongly implies is by Otagaki Rengetsu and then sells at a bargain price, so caveat emptor, I guess.

Feb 16th, '11, 13:06
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Feb 16th, '11, 13:06

Check out this one that went for over a thousand dollars

http://cgi.ebay.com/G298-Chinese-vermil ... 43a4cd85d7

Feb 16th, '11, 13:41

by Tead Off » Feb 16th, '11, 13:41

tingjunkie wrote:
Tead Off wrote: They have a network of people buying at auctions all over Japan. My only quibble with them is that everything is 30 years old in their descriptions. :D They try to describe the items carefully, though. They have finally switched over to metric and one doesn't have to think what 2.9" means. I have never seen a measuring device with inches broken down into 10ths.
So you think the pots are more than just modern shoe polish jobs? I'd be shocked to find they have that deep a supply of export Yixing available from auctions. I know many Yixing were exported to Japan in the 30's, but do you know if any other eras were known to be high traffic times?
I wasn't referring to the Chinese teapots specifically as I really don't pay attention to them. In my conversations with them, they told me that this was how they acquire many of their items for sale. They are heavy into Japanese pottery and teaware. That is the bulk of their business as well as Japanese vintage items.

Feb 16th, '11, 14:45

by Chip » Feb 16th, '11, 14:45

I would rarely pay more than 50 or so bucks for much of what this seller offers, although I did go much higher on a Choun Kiln gyokuro set that I was convinced was by Choun ... although I won't say if it is the age spec'd, but whatever.

Like someone said above, he seemingly has a never ending supply of "30ish year old" vintage pieces, often seemingly never used, or used so little that the pieces appear brand new.

I envision he has an endless warehouse filled with antiquiTeas like the warehouse at the very end of Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. :lol:

Also, this can relate to an older Hagi topic and boxes (the topic regarding the "faked" boxes), this seller will buy bulk new Hagi very cheap, get the boxes himself, and allegedly sign the boxes. This is an obvious attempt to inflate the auction bidding. I have this info on good authority.

So who knows what else is going on there.

Feb 16th, '11, 14:53

by entropyembrace » Feb 16th, '11, 14:53

I´ve seen nice houhin and shiboridashis from this vendor....well nice shape....but they´re often bizarrely dirty looking so I never bid even those kind of things aren´t easy to find at a low price. :?

Feb 16th, '11, 14:57

by Chip » Feb 16th, '11, 14:57

He has a curiously abundant amount of Bizen, and have purchased two houjin-s which I am quite happy with.

Feb 16th, '11, 15:00

by entropyembrace » Feb 16th, '11, 15:00

Chip wrote:He has a curiously abundant amount of Bizen, and have purchased two houjin-s which I am quite happy with.
it´s the "80 year old" tokoname shiboridashi for $10 that I was really looking at and thinking...it´s a shame he didn´t just sell a clean one as a recent production. :roll:

Feb 16th, '11, 15:21

by Drax » Feb 16th, '11, 15:21

Chip wrote:He has a curiously abundant amount of Bizen, and have purchased two houjin-s which I am quite happy with.
Yes, I've noticed that, too. This is the person I bought my mizusashi from. I think there was actually a large crack on the bottom which was attempted to be covered up, and again, the age is probably not what was said, but... I am extremely happy with the piece, especially for the price. It was exactly what I was looking for in a Bizen mizusashi...

Feb 16th, '11, 15:23

by Drax » Feb 16th, '11, 15:23

TomVerlain wrote:Check out this one that went for over a thousand dollars

http://cgi.ebay.com/G298-Chinese-vermil ... 43a4cd85d7
I'm sorry, but... WTF??? :mrgreen:

Feb 16th, '11, 16:40

by AdamMY » Feb 16th, '11, 16:40

I did catch this vendor in a bit of a lie once, and it has to do with the 30 year old item listing. He had a piece from a well known hagi artist on this forum (Seigan or Deishi), and the age that he listed for the piece was basically impossible when you compare it to the timeline laid out by many others for that artists life. It put the creation of that item several years prior to the person getting interested in pottery.

Apr 22nd, '11, 07:03

by Drax » Apr 22nd, '11, 07:03

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this older one, making it a "was it worth it?" sort of thread...

One of the recent Shino offerings had a rather striking look.

What do you think.... was it worth it?

Apr 22nd, '11, 08:25

by Tead Off » Apr 22nd, '11, 08:25

Drax wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this older one, making it a "was it worth it?" sort of thread...

One of the recent Shino offerings had a rather striking look.

What do you think.... was it worth it?
I thought it had an interesting glazing. Thick, almost medallion-like and the body looks faceted. This could have been the work of a well known artist in Japan and is probably not in the category of being considered 'expensive' there. Oni shino is an appropriate description, I think. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Apr 22nd, '11, 09:22

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '11, 09:22

Funny, I was watching that one, but the price started to go up and I just watched and wondered if a TCer was in the fray. :mrgreen:

Apr 22nd, '11, 21:00

by bagua7 » Apr 22nd, '11, 21:00

Here's a real vintage (not mine):

Qing dynasty (early 1800s).

Pic quality isn't good as the image was shown to me on a laptop.

+ Post Reply