Hello from Yixing

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 16th, '11, 20:27

Hello from Yixing

by ChinesePottery » Feb 16th, '11, 20:27

Hello Everyone,

I joined TC recently and, shame on me, only just now spotted the 'Introductions to TeaChat' thread. So I'll try and make up for it.

Greetings from Yixing!

I grew up in Germany and wasn't much of a tea drinker back then, but every time I moved, I somehow ended up being exposed to tea and tea culture more and more. I lived and worked in England for several years and there I already started to enjoy my tea on a daily basis. Interest in the subject grew, and ever since I moved to China a few years back there was no stopping me & tea. :)

I'm glad I've found this forum, thanks to a link on twitter.

Feb 17th, '11, 18:14

Re: Hello from Yixing

by bryan_drinks_tea » Feb 17th, '11, 18:14

welcome to TeaChat! you'll find all sorts of fun people here.

Feb 18th, '11, 05:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Feb 18th, '11, 05:55

Welcome indeed, I hope you will be able to help us from time to time on matters concerning Yixing teapots, in exchange we will all be extra nice to you! :D

Feb 18th, '11, 06:17

by Herb_Master » Feb 18th, '11, 06:17

I don't know how many clays your Uncle has access to - but -

One thing that a lot of teachatters are interested in - is - learning about the different clays.

No-one wants to pay lots of money for teapots until they understand exactly what it is they are getting.

Most of the teapots made seem too large for the more experienced TeaChatters.

Commissioning wholly hand made teapots can be expensive, especially if one is buying 5 or 6 at a time.

There is Teachat Artisans section which already features a Yixing pottery.

If your Uncle could (or already has) a mould for half handmade pots (favourite shapes here seem to be Shui Pin, Fang Gu, Shi Pao, Duo Qiu) size between 90ml and 110ml) and could make it up ina variety of clays - I think there would be a lot of interest here - if the price is right.

Sometimes the Teaware Artisans here do special offers solely for TeaChat members - often at a very good price for a limited number of members, first come first served.

If they were to retail at a given price but even cheaper if one bought more in different clays - it would attract members - some of whom may want to go on and buy more of your Uncle's work.

Feb 18th, '11, 14:57

by Chip » Feb 18th, '11, 14:57

Welcome to TeaChat! I am sure that we are all looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Please share what is in your cup on TeaDay! :mrgreen:

Feb 19th, '11, 06:14

by ChinesePottery » Feb 19th, '11, 06:14

Thanks for the kind words Herb_Master & Chip,

I will create a TA topic soon as Chip has recently approved of me doing so (Thanks Chip) and I will try my best to give all the information I can about items that will be shown there.

I feel a bit at unease writing the following here as i am not sure this is the appropriate place, but i would also like to answer the questions asked.

There are definitely molds(is American or British English the preferred spelling n TC?) for some of the pots and access to various clays is given. Custom made items would certainly be possible but prices would of course reflect if one wanted a very specific clay, lets say from mine-3 of a certain year. It'd be tricky too, but probably not impossible. Any more specifics on this topic like the discounts and other details you mentioned would go too far for this thread I feel but I'd be happy to answer in a PM or over in TA once I created a topic.

On my Dragon Kiln hunt today (I will show pictures and tell details about the 3 Dragon Kilns we've visited today in the other thread) we also stopped by HuangLongShan and I took pictures in and around it which might be interesting. Not sure yet in which thread i should put those though.

Cheers

Feb 19th, '11, 10:14

by Chip » Feb 19th, '11, 10:14

Yes, we will look forward to your TA topic! There members can address issues and questions directly related to your business, and you can in turn answer directly without violating forum rules. :mrgreen: :idea: :arrow:

+ Post Reply