New to Puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 14th, '11, 16:15

Re: New to Puerh

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 14th, '11, 16:15

HSL1291 wrote:I was curious is there a blog or place to start looking for which ones try proper steeping techniques and such? I am just looking for a beginners guide to Pu.
I have a link on my blog (here) that has some of my opinions about how to start. The samples might be out of date (or irrelevant, if you're not in the USA), but the general premise holds. :)

It doesn't go into brewing. That's a topic on my list of things to do. :oops:

Feb 20th, '11, 16:58

by moto » Feb 20th, '11, 16:58

New from Detroit, Michigan.
I am reading online and working my way thru the samplers from JAS e-tea as an introduction. Being new and ignorant has not stopped me from making some substantial purchases from China.

I am enjoying my various shu. Of the beengs that are among the early acquisitions, I would like to figure out which to enclude for drinking now, and which to just put away. I have no sheng older than 2007, so I still don't know what top expect from aged sheng.

Thanks, everybody, for sharing what you know and what you think.

Feb 21st, '11, 00:46

by Chih Ting » Feb 21st, '11, 00:46

There are two books talking about Puerh professionally.

A Glossary of Chinese Puerh Tea
and
the first step to Chinese Puerh Tea

These two books lead me into puerh world with clear instruction and pictures.

you can take a peek from the author's website.
http://www.cloudsteacollection.com/html/glossary01.html

:D

Feb 21st, '11, 12:44
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Feb 21st, '11, 12:44

drink what you like shall be the whole of the law..

There is always debate over what is good and what people should buy - but it really comes down to your taste. Taste all you buy, varying leaf and brew times. If you don't like it, drink what you do like and sample again in a few months. You might find what is good now will be surplanted by what you did not like today, in six months. I would avoid loading up on huge amounts of tea just in case your tastes do change. Of course, one always regrets not buying more of a particular tea, once it is gone and you realize how much you do like it.

In any case, I would really recommend trying a few samples of 15 year old tea. It might help create a baseline to understand what people are tlaking about.

+ Post Reply