Wednesday TeaDay 2/23/11 Hail?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today' poll and discussion topic is a bit frivolous ... if you call getting to know your fellow TeaChatters as frivolous. So, where do you hail from? Does your town have a claim to fame?

US-NE
17%
US-SE
14%
US-MW
6%
US-W
11%
US-SW
9%
Alaska, Hawaii
No votes
Canada
3%
Central America
No votes
South America
No votes
Europe
26%
Asia
9%
Africa
No votes
Australia
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 35

Feb 23rd, '11, 01:40
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 2/23/11 Hail?

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '11, 01:40

Welcome one and all to TeaDay. Come brew a pot and share what is in your cup with all of us. Frequent updates are a plus. Be sure to check out what everyone else is sipping as well. You can reflect back on your TeaDay if you need to.

Yesterday we discussed significant first impression teas. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today' poll and discussion topic is a bit frivolous ... if you call getting to know your fellow TeaChatters as frivolous. So, where do you hail from? Does your town have a claim to fame? I hope you have some fun with this topic today.

Not sure of your region...check it out
HERE

I am looking forward to learning a little bit about my fellow TeaChatters today! Have an excellent TeaDay!

Feb 23rd, '11, 02:18

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 2/23/11 Hail?

by debunix » Feb 23rd, '11, 02:18

I hail originally from Livermore, California, a little town on the eastern fringe of the San Francisco Bay Area, famous for the world's longest lasting lightbulb, misspellings of book titles and authors and famous people on a library mural honoring learning, and the lab.

Today, I live in Hollywood, although I prefer not to admit that in casual conversation.

Enjoying some more autumn TGY from Jing Tea Shop this evening.

Feb 23rd, '11, 02:45

by Trey Winston » Feb 23rd, '11, 02:45

Europe here, specifically the Northern part. My hometown has the claim to fame that the painter Edvard Munch (of The Scream fame) lived here for a while, and it seems it was the happiest time of his life. He painted a number of pictures here, using locals as models. And this, called "The Sun":

No tea yet today - possibly it will be a green.

Feb 23rd, '11, 03:27

by David R. » Feb 23rd, '11, 03:27

debunix wrote: ... famous for the world's longest lasting lightbulb
I've just seen a reportage about this one !

Nothing famous about my hometown. It is in Normandy, France, was destructed at 95% during WWII, and the guy who discovered the Venus of Milo was born there.

Now I live not far from there, in Rouen, city know for its numerous churches and for burning Joan of Arc.
Last edited by David R. on Feb 23rd, '11, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 23rd, '11, 03:43
Vendor Member

by IPT » Feb 23rd, '11, 03:43

I originally hail from a little village in the very north part of Wisconsin.

Now I hail from Guilin, Guangxi, China.

In my cup today is more Xishan Green Tea. Lovely stuff.

Feb 23rd, '11, 04:35

by Nenugal » Feb 23rd, '11, 04:35

I was born in Bergen, Norway. Famous for being the most rainy city in Norway. Some people say that Norwegians are born with skis on the feet. In Bergen, we are born with an umbrella in the hand instead. Also it is an old Hanseatic city with many beautiful old buildings including the "Bryggen" area, and a fish market; surrounded by 7 mountains (although people don't really agree about which mountains to count).

Morning tea is matcha and kabusecha.

Feb 23rd, '11, 06:05

by karmaplace » Feb 23rd, '11, 06:05

I'm originally from a tiny town in New York, USA. It's not famous for anything, and I always wanted to get away.

Now I'm living in South Korea. I'm currently in Ulsan, which is famous for whaling and whale meat. It's also famous for Hyundai Factories (both automobiles and ships) and general industry. I used to live near Daegu, which was infamous for being the hottest city in Korea. 8)

I had a mix of sow mee and a Korean green today. Delicious. :)

Feb 23rd, '11, 06:17

by Herb_Master » Feb 23rd, '11, 06:17

I was born in Whitehaven on the edge of the English Lake District.

Previously a bustling seaport (was once the 3rd largest port in the UK) now sadly in decline since the coal that was mined from beneath the sea ran out.

Famous as the 2nd home of Lord Lonsdale who supported boxing when Queen Victoria disapproved, even to the extent of encouraging her son prince Albert Edward, the British Boxing Titles are known as 'The Lonsdale Belt'.

The Yellow Earl lived mainly in Lowther Castle near Penrith but had a second 'Castle' in Whitehaven where he was able to continue his illicit affair with 'Lillie Langtrey' and where he arranged private boxing matches between the Prince of wales and world champions.

Famous also as the last English soil to be invaded by foreign soldiers.

Americans.

http://www.whitehavenandwesternlakeland ... s/raid.htm

Feb 23rd, '11, 08:22

by Cicada Lady » Feb 23rd, '11, 08:22

Grew up in a little town in central Michigan, but now live in Fort Worth, Texas. A famous newspaperman once said that "Fort Worth is where the west begins - and Dallas is where the east peters out".

Feb 23rd, '11, 08:40

by dokpm0 » Feb 23rd, '11, 08:40

I was born in raised in Baytown, TX, which to my knowledge has no claim to fame. I've since moved "way up North," to central Texas. I keep saying that one of these decades I'm going to move to Alaska. The longer I live in Texas the more I hate Texas summers.

I've started off the day with a Scottish Breakfast Blend from Upton Tea.

Feb 23rd, '11, 09:53

by LauraW » Feb 23rd, '11, 09:53

David R. wrote:
debunix wrote: ... famous for the world's longest lasting lightbulb
I've just seen a reportage about this one !

Nothing famous about my hometown. It is in Normandy, France, was destructed at 95% during WWII, and the guy who discovered the Venus of Milo was born there.

Now I live not far from there, in Rouen, city know for its numerous churches and for burning Joan of Arc.
I've been to both Normandy and Rouen - I spent 3 months in France a couple years ago.

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio, now living in Greenville, SC, which was an old textile town - in fact, i used to live in one of the old textile mills, they converted it into apartments. Well, not exactly old compared to some of the 16th century houses in Rouen...

No tea yet, headed back to the kitchen to make some Snowbud now.

Feb 23rd, '11, 10:48

by hopeofdawn » Feb 23rd, '11, 10:48

Was born in Salem, Oregon, which might be famous for *something*, but I have no idea what. Spent most of my life growing up in the upper Midwest, however, until I came back to my roots and settled down in Seattle, which is famous for lots of stuff. :D

Savoring a 'tender lover' black tea from Xiu Xian--I'm almost out, which makes me sad. :(

Feb 23rd, '11, 10:51

by brandon » Feb 23rd, '11, 10:51

US-NE.

Feb 23rd, '11, 11:13

by JRS22 » Feb 23rd, '11, 11:13

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY, which is really a collection of neighborhoods. My neighborhood was Coney Island, famous for it's white sand beaches and amusement parks long before Walt Disney built his first one. If you're old enough to remember the song "Under the Boardwalk" that's about our boardwalk.

Now I live in Hoboken, NJ, which claims to be the home of the first baseball game. I suppose I should visit the local museum and learn more. I've been here for 30 years so it's time.

In my cup this morning, some relaxing jasmine pearls.

Feb 23rd, '11, 12:16

by verus » Feb 23rd, '11, 12:16

I'm from Yurp.

More specifically, the Netherlands. Even more specifically, the province of South Holland, and the rather bland town Alphen aan den Rijn. Possibly its claim to fame is that it's once been voted "greenest city of Europe" but I'm sure the jury must have been color blind! :shock:

Pai Mu Tan is soothing my mind right now.
Last edited by verus on Feb 23rd, '11, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.