Raw Puerh Vs Green Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 22nd, '11, 21:22

Re: Raw Puerh Vs Green Tea

by Milhouse » Feb 22nd, '11, 21:22

For those people that have ill effects from sheng i would think adding something such as ginger would alleviate those those unpleasant symptoms. Clearly that would alter the flavor though.

Feb 22nd, '11, 21:45

by MarshalN » Feb 22nd, '11, 21:45

zhi zheng wrote:Hi MarshalN

I'm curious. How would you define 'young' ?
I think the correct answer is "depends on storage condition"

Feb 22nd, '11, 23:23

by entropyembrace » Feb 22nd, '11, 23:23

So, anyone care to explain why only "cold" teas are "unhealthy"? :roll:

Because it seems like only drinking "hot" stuff would create a yin-yang unbalance too...

Feb 23rd, '11, 00:22

by Milhouse » Feb 23rd, '11, 00:22

I think any extreme cold or hot isn't going to be good for you. If its freezing outside your going to put warm cloths on but if its hott your gonna wear less. Try reversing that and your gonna end up sweating or freezing your butt off. So think of your body as the temp outside, if you run hot than your gonna want something cooler. If you run cold than loading up on "cold" tea isn't gonna warm you up, you'll feel worse. What happens when your already full but you decide to keep eating?

"Warm (Hot) and Cool (Cold) are the very important principle in the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Chinese doctors employ these factors in the teas. White, Green or Jasmine Teas are considered cooling teas and often enjoyed during summer; while Red or Black Teas are considered warming teas and often taken in Winter. Pu'er and Wulong (Woolong) Teas are neutral and may taken in all seasons. On the other hand, it's better for the people with warm or hot body condition to take cooling teas while for the people with cool or cold body condition to take warming teas."
http://chinese-green-teas.com/tea_remedy.html

"One of the things I most like about TCM is the recognition of individuality. This also extends to dietary considerations. There are no "one size fits all" herbal regiments or diets in TCM. Everything is tailored to the individual's needs, and it's recognized that individual needs can differ widely.

The Chinese viewpoint of a balanced diet is very different from that in the West. In the Chinese system, a balanced diet is one which includes all 5 tastes - spicy, sour, bitter, sweet, and salty. Foods and herbs which have a particular taste tend to have particular properties. For example, bitter herbs and foods tend to be drying and Cold. This tends to make them good for treating Damp Heat conditions, but contraindicated for people who are too Cold and/or too Dry. Many of them have antibiotic-like properties. On the other hand, the herbs and foods with a salty taste tend to be warming and moistening. This tends to make them great for treating people who suffer from Cold and Dryness, but they should be used cautiously in people who are Hot and Damp."
http://www.acupuncture.com/nutrition/diettcm.htm

Feb 23rd, '11, 00:37

by entropyembrace » Feb 23rd, '11, 00:37

So....young puerh is bad because it´s bitter, and aged puerh is good because it´s sweet? Why not just say that to begin with? :lol:

Most westerners suffer from an excess of sweet taste in the diet...a little bit of bitter would do most people good :lol:

Feb 23rd, '11, 00:47

by Milhouse » Feb 23rd, '11, 00:47

I would have but i thought since your hanging on teachat all night you might be ok with reading a bit of useful information about tea! I'm here too so maybe i just felt making a large posting. :wink:

Feb 24th, '11, 09:25

by tea-awed » Feb 24th, '11, 09:25

"heatwaves wrote:
The whole "raw puerh is unhealthy " irks me to no end. I've yet to see any scientific foundation behind it.

In the U.S., the early-to-mid 1900s, people thought that breastmilk was unhealthy for babies. In the days before formula, parents typically gave their babies canned evaporated milk because it was largely assumed that breastmilk was unhealthy. When peer-reviewed studies were actually done, we realized that it was the other way around.

So, I suppose that means that sheng is my breastmilk. Mmmmm."

Maybe tobacco would be a more accurate comparison?

Feb 25th, '11, 00:04

by bagua7 » Feb 25th, '11, 00:04

entropyembrace wrote:So....young puerh is bad because it´s bitter, and aged puerh is good because it´s sweet? Why not just say that to begin with? :lol:

Most westerners suffer from an excess of sweet taste in the diet...a little bit of bitter would do most people good :lol:
You just provided a good answer to everybody, young lady :)

Puerh (the older the more grounded/earthy it becomes) → spleen → sweet → Earth (balanced energy) → 5E Theory

Young puerh → bitter taste. Bitter herbs and foods tend to be drying and cold. This tends to make them good for treating Damp Heat conditions, but contraindicated for people who are too "cold" and/or too "Dry." I think this has been discussed already in this thread.

Feb 25th, '11, 00:04

by bagua7 » Feb 25th, '11, 00:04

Last edited by bagua7 on Jun 27th, '12, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 25th, '11, 01:12

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '11, 01:12

If sweet taste is so healthy why not just drink coca-cola? :roll:

Feb 25th, '11, 01:42

by Milhouse » Feb 25th, '11, 01:42

Coca Cola
12 oz (355 ml) Can
Sugars, total: 39g
Calories, total: 140
Calories from sugar: 140*

20 oz (590 ml) Bottle
Sugars, total: 65g
Calories, total: 240
Calories from sugar: 240

1 Liter (34 oz) Bottle
Sugars, total: 108g
Calories, total: 400
Calories from sugar: 400 :roll:

Feb 25th, '11, 01:49

by AdamMY » Feb 25th, '11, 01:49

Milhouse wrote:Coca Cola
12 oz (355 ml) Can
Sugars, total: 39g
Calories, total: 140
Calories from sugar: 140*

20 oz (590 ml) Bottle
Sugars, total: 65g
Calories, total: 240
Calories from sugar: 240

1 Liter (34 oz) Bottle
Sugars, total: 108g
Calories, total: 400
Calories from sugar: 400 :roll:
I think this more proves Entropy's point than refutes it. The truth is while there may be explanations as to why Young puerh "may" be bad for someones health to be consumed often, saying things like it is bad for you because it is bitter while it is good for you because it is sweet, really comes down to either an immense over simplification, and/or incredibly wrong. I mean citrus can be construed as bitter, should we rarely consume any citrus fruits? Coca-cola is sweet so if we drink 24 cans a day, will we be the picture of health?

Feb 25th, '11, 01:56

by Milhouse » Feb 25th, '11, 01:56

Nobody ever said excess sweet was great for you.

Feb 25th, '11, 02:27

by Milhouse » Feb 25th, '11, 02:27

AdamMY,

"In Traditional Chinese Medicine, an illness occurs when the body’s Yin and Yang are not in balance." :?

There is a huge difference between something sweet and liquid sugar. 936g of sugar is not gonna keep you in balance. Did you read any of the links i posted or did you just see "sweet" "bitter" and come up with your own conclusions? :oops:

Feb 25th, '11, 02:34

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '11, 02:34

Milhouse wrote:Nobody ever said excess sweet was great for you.
The point is you can and did give a very clear and simple reason why drinking large quantities of coca-cola is unhealthy...but when you try to expain why young, raw puerh is unhealthy the explanation is long, complex, difficult to understand and poorly supported with little or no evidence. Plus you water it down by saying it only applies to some people some of the time.

It´s also especially vexing considering that people new to puerh looking for information are told or read that young raw puerh is undrinkable and unhealthy when they could very well end up enjoying it greatly with no ill effects.

+ Post Reply