Raw Puerh Vs Green Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 25th, '11, 18:17

Re: Raw Puerh Vs Green Tea

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '11, 18:17

Out of curiosity I did I quick search to try and find what properties TCM attributes to mold...something that gives wet stored puerh it´s unique character much like many pungent aged cheeses...

According to the principles of TCM, mold and antibiotics are both very cold and damp. Therefore, there is a fundamental relationship between mold allergy and antibiotic allergies
http://acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/a ... p?id=28430

So....taking something very cold and drying...and growing something very cold and moistening on it makes it warm? or warmer? :?:

Feb 25th, '11, 22:36

by ChinesePottery » Feb 25th, '11, 22:36

entropyembrace wrote: potassium chlorogenate is a polyphenol, this is not a different phenomenon from polyphenol bonding to caffiene in tea.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... archtype=a
*sighs*
The point is not that in my example the caffeine is linked to poly-phenols in both cases, but that those poly-phenols differ....
the poly-phenols in tea responsible for slowing down absorption are tannins.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/d156g27v720r2412/
http://books.google.com/books?id=VF5vL1 ... 40-38181-5

maybe a little history and other languages like German make it clearer:
There used to be a misconception due to lack of science in the past and the caffeine
had several names in German for instance they where,

Koffein or Coffein when found in coffee
Tein or Thein when found in tea
and even Guaranin when found in Paullinia cupana (Guarana)

nowadays, since it became clear the caffeine is actually the same chemical still doesn't change the reason why the unknowing peeps back then gave it different names.
The assumption that those are different chemicals originated in the different effects on the human body. And now we even know why that is, its because the poly-phenols the caffeine is bound to differ.
Just because we know more stuff these days doesn't mean people back then who didn't have nowadays knowledge where all stupid.

Feb 25th, '11, 23:49

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '11, 23:49

Can you post a study which indicates how the different polyphenols bound to caffiene affect absorption rates?

Jun 26th, '12, 06:08

by yanom » Jun 26th, '12, 06:08

Hope it's ok to revive this thread. The original question was:
Isn't Raw puerh like Green tea in a way?
If Raw Puerh is not good/healthy to be consumed a lot, then shouldn't Green tea too?
I know this doesn't answer the health side of things so much, but in terms of taste: am I right that 20 years ago most commercially available new young sheng would be plantation blended leaves which people thought tasted unpleasant until aged? But now there's much more opportunity to drink non-plantation stuff which tastes nicer young than the plantation stuff does (no-one knows what it will taste like when aged)?

From the Chinese medicine point of view, I can understand how drinking green sheng pu'er is cooling the same way that drinking green tea is cooling.
But some people worry that the latter is bad for you, perhaps because it is TOO cooling: could that simply be because green pu'er is much stronger than green teas that are traditionally designed to be drunk young?
What, for example, would Chinese medicine say to someone who was geting through 50g of Long Jing or some other green tea every day? How would their stomach be coping?

Jul 14th, '12, 01:40

by spinmail » Jul 14th, '12, 01:40

The first times I sampled young sheng - at around 200˚F - the aroma seemed scorched (though apparently a few tasters seem to like the flavor).

I played around with a few young tea cakes, steeping them at different temperatures and times. I discovered that young sheng, steeped at around the temperature of green tea (150˚F) didn't taste or smell scorched anymore. It was light green, a little turbid, and not too good-tasting.

Among the the things I learned: (1) Young sheng isn't for me; (2) There's enormous disagreement on tasting young sheng, though most seem to feel that aging good tea is preferable; (3) Young sheng, though by definition is a puerh, is in many ways similar to a green tea; (4) If you depend on young sheng for its health benefits, think again; this is tough even to document, much less prove. Its benefits in the context of Chinese medicine are equally obscure.

Feb 25th, '18, 22:46

by Potnet » Feb 25th, '18, 22:46

entropyembrace wrote: Out of curiosity I did I quick search to try and find what properties TCM attributes to mold...something that gives wet stored puerh it´s unique character much like many pungent aged cheeses...

According to the principles of TCM, mold and antibiotics are both very cold and damp. Therefore, there is a fundamental relationship between mold allergy and antibiotic allergies
http://acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/a ... p?id=28430

So....taking something very cold and drying...and growing something very cold and moistening on it makes it warm? or warmer? :?:
I think this is accurate (but don't hold me on it since I don't understand Chinese medicine philosophy well), but there is a common idea in Taoist philosophy that something that is going to one extreme will eventually transform to the opposite, i.e if you take a look at the most known taiji symbol
You can see that yin when it peaks (the dark at the bottom will eventually turn into yang and vice versa.

A more felt example that I can think of is that if you eat a really spicy food like cayanne pepper (which is very hot according to chinese medicine theory) .and eat enough to sweat it's action becomes yin since it makes you sweat and sweating ultimately cools you down (yin). However if you didn't eat enough to sweat it would just be very 'warming'

Another example could be a person who bottles in all their emotions (yin), but after some point ( if they don't do anything about it) they'll just break and let it all out (yang).

All in all I think this carries over to some degree in the making of puerh.

+ Post Reply