Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby iannon » Feb 23rd, '11, 22:35

Chip wrote:lol. :lol: actually having this one right now. Interestingly the Mrs. is overwhelmed by the storage where I am not. As many have said, this may be a love or hate thing.

4th steep in ... aromas of cedar come to mind for both of us ...

seems the wet stored basement taste stuff the skua refers to also overwhelm me..I really like young sheng..and really liked the dry stored #3..but the other aged or rather wet stored ive tried so far I just cant get past that basement mold thing.. and I have stuck through many infusions just cause I want to like it ;)
iannon

Postby Chip » Feb 24th, '11, 00:22

I would definitely agree that I prefer the #3 over the #2. Now I have to figure where #1 fits in.

I liked how #3 progressed and continued to improve and offer steep after steep of very enjoyable brew. #2 has not progressed as well so far, but still relatively early on ... steep 7 so far.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby gargoylekitty » Feb 24th, '11, 06:04

I've tasted all three and plan to give them all a second round within the next week, though I like #3 better than #1, but can't quite figure out where #2 stands in it all.

Since I didn't take any notes with the first one I tried, I figured I'd just relax/enjoy them and save notes for the second round. :wink:
Last edited by gargoylekitty on Mar 5th, '11, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
gargoylekitty

Postby the_skua » Feb 25th, '11, 13:13

Had the 1997 Heng Li Chang today. Very much a different experience. Found the first three steeps unpalatable texturally, but loved the earthy flavors and really enjoyed the buzz. I hope at least one of my cakes end up kind of like this some day.

Some excerpts. Full post at tea.theskua.com

While the ’97 Menghai 8582 was heavy on the flavors imposed by the place of storage to the point that I felt they departed from the realm of natural tea flavors, this tea really holds onto the essence of earth and decay. With more natural humus-like, decaying leaf matter and old pine needle flavors, I found this more attuned to my palate. The nuanced and gentle mushroom, moss, and tree bark characters of young sheng puerh have aged gracefully and have descended the flavor profile of this tea from the tree tops into the sub-leaf-litter level, highlighting the natural warm embrace of a forest floor. Some of the basement notes are there in the form of talc, medicine, and ointment, but they’re not overbearing to the point of disgust.

What I struggled with in this tea, in the first three or four steeps, was its texture. Leaving me with a sensation that greasy, damp lotion had been smeared across my tongue, I found the palate initially murky, slightly sour, and hard to get past. I did not drink much of the first three steeps. Fortunately, this clamminess departed and revealed a thick, sweetness that made it intensely pleasurable to drink from the fifth steep on.

If this tea is supposedly somewhere been wet and dry storage, than I guess I’m more of a dry storage fan. This flavor profile was much more to my liking, and I’ve learned that the first few steeps of a tea such as this are not as meaningful as the middle steeps. This was a bit of lore I found early on in my readings on puerh and something that I did not experience with young sheng puerh, but is something that makes sense in light of an aged tea such as this.

1997 Heng Li Chang Bulang - Dry Leaves by the_skua, on Flickr

1997 Heng Li Chang Bulang - Soup by the_skua, on Flickr

1997 Heng Li Chang Bulang - Steeped Leaves by the_skua, on Flickr
the_skua

Postby teaisme » Feb 25th, '11, 16:51

Chip wrote:I liked how #3 progressed

Do you think this had anything to do with the smaller leaf fragments you alluded to in an earlier post?

I've been reading that clouds tea diary (big thanks for the link brandon) lesson on proportion http://www.cloudsteacollection.com/html/weblog/weblog0001_e.html. Have you been doing something similar to that with 1-3?
teaisme

Postby entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '11, 17:07

I´m considering brewing one of the samples today....

From sniffing the dry leaves my impressions are that the 8582 smells like sharp cheese and the Heng Li Chang smells like wet basement. Dry leaf aroma is making me apprehensive...

oookay...I needed to take my allergy meds after that experience :shock: :? :cry:
entropyembrace

Postby kaminix » Feb 25th, '11, 20:38

Tried sample #2 and #3 together the other day. Though I could appreciate both of them the dry stored one came out as a clear winner for me, though my overall favourite is probably #1 which I found could produce a much stronger brew that the others.

I liked how you could feel the young sheng much clearer in the background of the dry stored compared to the wet stored. While it was there in the wet stored too it wasn't at all as prevalent which I found a little disappointing.

In short I'd call the wet stored more of a complete transformation while the dry storage IMO seems to enhance and enrich the flavour of the tea more to my liking. :-)
kaminix

Postby OhJungMin » Feb 26th, '11, 01:37

Seeker wrote:Image

Hey Seeker,
I got a baby-sister of your red cup.
She spent too much time under the sun so she's got lots of freckles :-)

Can't wait to put some Puerh tea in it :-)
OhJungMin

Postby Seeker » Feb 26th, '11, 16:28

Awesome!
I love it, freckles and all!
Seeker

Postby OhJungMin » Feb 26th, '11, 19:53

Seeker wrote:Awesome!
I love it, freckles and all!

I know! Me too! This is my most fav piece so far :D :D :D
OhJungMin

Postby the_skua » Mar 1st, '11, 11:49

Finished up the series today. Many thanks to Brandon and Nada for providing the samples, this has been a most informative series! The dry stored was definitely very different from the other two. It reminds me more of young sheng than the other two, but sometimes the bitterness seems to get a little sour and tannic, does anyone else get this?

Some excerpts from my blog post.

The aroma had the most impact, releasing a flourish of refined smokiness and spice. Incredibly enticing. Wet, this changed into the classic musky raw sun-dried leaf note.

Of the six steeps, I had today, the first two were confusing, the second two underwhelming, the last two delightful. The body opened empty and thin, while reaching forward with enjoyable bitterness. Then murkiness developed, before the tea evened out with a fantastic balance of woody dryness and satisfying textural sweetness.

Flavors were consistent with unadulterated, yet time-dappled, raw sheng puerh, really connecting me with the youthful examples I have stored away.

1990s Raw Brick "Dry Stored" - Dry Leaf by the_skua, on Flickr

1990s Raw Brick "Dry Stored" - Soup by the_skua, on Flickr

1990s Raw Brick "Dry Stored" - Steeped Leaves by the_skua, on Flickr
the_skua

Postby Chip » Mar 3rd, '11, 15:59

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Brandon's wet stored session ended finally, I might have been able to stretch it another day, it was pleasant sweet teawater after 4-5 days.

Started brewing a session of Nada's 90's Bulang this afternoon. I notice the bitterness of Bulang in the first four steeps so far, though this is toning down now. The aromas are a bit of attic and cedar perhaps, not so much basement.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby brandon » Mar 4th, '11, 08:19

Chip wrote:Brandon's wet stored session ended finally, I might have been able to stretch it another day, it was pleasant sweet teawater after 4-5 days.

Nice record, Chip!
brandon

Postby tortoise » Mar 4th, '11, 12:17

Chip wrote:Thanks for sharing everyone.
The aromas are a bit of attic and cedar perhaps, not so much basement.

Now THAT is a discerning palate!
tortoise

Postby Chip » Mar 4th, '11, 12:46

brandon wrote:
Chip wrote:Brandon's wet stored session ended finally, I might have been able to stretch it another day, it was pleasant sweet teawater after 4-5 days.

Nice record, Chip!

Did I win a prize? This is most assuredly the longest session I ever had.
tortoise wrote:
Chip wrote:Thanks for sharing everyone.
The aromas are a bit of attic and cedar perhaps, not so much basement.

Now THAT is a discerning palate!

:lol: I should clarify, this was the first few steeps. And I guess I was saying I do not notice musty basement aromas. But I was reminded of my parent's attic ... which sure beats the basement.

Now at 7 steeps, the storage aromas of the first few steeps have long dissappeared, so too the mild bitterness. And now settling into a nice session on day 2.
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions