Mar 2nd, '11, 12:52

Re: HAGI ROCK! SSO by Shibuya Eiichi

by hopeofdawn » Mar 2nd, '11, 12:52

Chip wrote:I will take the risk for less expensive items ... I will also weigh the cost factor compared to the cost of the piece. Plus if I want it NOW ... the answer is easy, EMS. But really, SAL might only be several days slower.
Thanks for the info Chip (and Debunix!)--I figured it would be something like that, but it's nice to know for sure. I don't order internationally very often, so this is all still pretty new to me. :)

Mar 2nd, '11, 13:58

by David R. » Mar 2nd, '11, 13:58

In France, every single EMS parcel coming from Japan is intercepted by customs, charging an extra 20% (including shipping costs) + extra fees (around 20€)... So choice is easy : SAL ! Even if your parcel is lost or broken (which is not a problem with Mago with the way he packs his stuff) it is just cheaper to buy a new one.

So far, I've never had a problem and it is fast.

Customs here are very strange as they do not intercept EMS parcels from China, Taiwan or Malaysia. So why Japan ??

Mar 2nd, '11, 14:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '11, 14:16

Bummer David! No customs issues really in the USA. Occasionally they will supposedly go through a box, a certain percentage of packages ... or so they say. Part of homeland security maybe.

It is seriously generally OK to go with SAL, but I would be remiss if I did not point out the potential risk factors ... plus I would not want someone coming back at me later saying I told them to go SAL. So, I make it very clear the choice is up to each individual to choose given the pros and cons of each.

TBH, I have never heard of a lost or damaged package from Mago, he is very careful in packing ... the box could dropped, kicked, run over ... :mrgreen:

Mar 2nd, '11, 18:39

by David R. » Mar 2nd, '11, 18:39

Chip wrote:TBH, I have never heard of a lost or damaged package from Mago, he is very careful in packing ... the box could dropped, kicked, run over ... :mrgreen:
Don't tell me about it. I used to open the parcel in front of the postman as it is the only way to file a complaint in case of a problem. With Mago, I just give up ! You have to take at least two minutes to open the box, then you have to go into a whole new unpacking for each item...

When I go pick one up at the post office, people in the line behind me are just getting mad ! So now, I just take my parcel and open it at home... :)

Mar 2nd, '11, 18:43

by AdamMY » Mar 2nd, '11, 18:43

David R. wrote:
Chip wrote:TBH, I have never heard of a lost or damaged package from Mago, he is very careful in packing ... the box could dropped, kicked, run over ... :mrgreen:
Don't tell me about it. I used to open the parcel in front of the postman as it is the only way to file a complaint in case of a problem. With Mago, I just give up ! You have to take at least two minutes to open the box, then you have to go into a whole new unpacking for each item...

When I go pick one up at the post office, people in the line behind me are just getting mad ! So now, I just take my parcel and open it at home... :)

I often wonder if Mago suspects his packages get air dropped without parachutes to their destinations, but all joking aside he does have absolutely wonderful packaging methods. I mean I feel I am usually more likely to break the item while trying to undo the packaging than it is to break in transit.

Can not wait, Chip do you have a count down going somewhere that we can tune into?

Mar 2nd, '11, 19:20

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '11, 19:20

AdamMY wrote: Can not wait, Chip do you have a count down going somewhere that we can tune into?
We will do a count up instead since I use the count up feature on timers to brew tea which does away with the bleeping beeping!

... So, today is 0 (zero) as I press the start button!

Mar 2nd, '11, 19:21

by AdamMY » Mar 2nd, '11, 19:21

Chip wrote:
AdamMY wrote: Can not wait, Chip do you have a count down going somewhere that we can tune into?
We will do a count up instead since I use the count up feature on timers to brew tea which does away with the bleeping beeping!

Thats fine, but we have to know what we are counting up to.

Mar 2nd, '11, 19:30

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '11, 19:30

AdamMY wrote:
Chip wrote:

That's fine, but we have to know what we are counting up to.
Ohhhhh, right! :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: Was I being coy again?

However right now I have only a guess. I think I stated above that I am HOPING for early next week, but a bijillion things could change that ... such as a packing material shortage due to overpacking of packages originating from Japan. :wink:

Mar 8th, '11, 02:40

by David R. » Mar 8th, '11, 02:40

Chip wrote:I have received good news regarding the Eiichi ROCK SSO pieces. They might be shipped to Mago late this week. I am hoping to have photos a few days later. So, I am optimistically thinking early next week I hope to have all the photos.
Hmm hmm, so here we are... "early next week"... :mrgreen:

Mar 8th, '11, 23:18

by Chip » Mar 8th, '11, 23:18

David R. wrote:
Chip wrote:I have received good news regarding the Eiichi ROCK SSO pieces. They might be shipped to Mago late this week. I am hoping to have photos a few days later. So, I am optimistically thinking early next week I hope to have all the photos.
Hmm hmm, so here we are... "early next week"... :mrgreen:
So we are ... let me put it this way, do not venture too far from your computer! :idea: :mrgreen:

Mar 8th, '11, 23:58

by karmaplace » Mar 8th, '11, 23:58

Chip wrote:... let me put it this way, do not venture too far from your computer! :idea: :mrgreen:
I read this as I head out the door to run errands and head to work. :(

Does this mean there are/will be pictures soon? :D

Mar 9th, '11, 00:22

by Chip » Mar 9th, '11, 00:22

karmaplace wrote:
Chip wrote:... let me put it this way, do not venture too far from your computer! :idea: :mrgreen:
I read this as I head out the door to run errands and head to work. :(

Does this mean there are/will be pictures soon? :D
BTW, this piece will be designated SSO 16, Eiichi ROCK despite the delayed release of SO 15. (SO 15 was delayed due to complications in producing a very cool SO!)

No photos yet, these were due to be shipped to Mago, he should be receiving them and will then forward the photos a few days later. I do not rush Mago during this process since it can be difficult to photograph 25 pieces and not get them mixed up

Fear not, each member who has placed a deposit will have ample opportunity to view and choose.

The selection process will be as fair as possible, but for this SO will not be based on time received. Each deposit member will submit at least 3 selections. If 3 members each choose #1 as their first choice, all three will have equal chance in a pulling names from a Hagi cup.

A deadline will be posted for submission of choices by members who have made a deposit.

I will post more soon on the selection process.

Mar 9th, '11, 01:26

by karmaplace » Mar 9th, '11, 01:26

Chip wrote:The selection process will be as fair as possible, but for this SO will not be based on time received.
You have no idea how glad I am of this. I've tried to hop in on a few SOs, only for them to be SOLD OUT. :lol:

Mar 9th, '11, 01:33

by Chip » Mar 9th, '11, 01:33

karmaplace wrote:
Chip wrote:The selection process will be as fair as possible, but for this SO will not be based on time received.
You have no idea how glad I am of this. I've tried to hop in on a few SOs, only for them to be SOLD OUT. :lol:
Yeah, they can be pretty wild! :lol:

I have received word, Mago has the ROCKs! So, now the next step ... careful photographing of the ROCKs for the selection process. If I receive prelim photos, I will pass the photos on!

This part is very hard because after a long wait, they are soooo close, yet often still days away from receiving the photos.

This can be agonizing. :mrgreen:

Mar 9th, '11, 05:27

by David R. » Mar 9th, '11, 05:27

I was going to write to Mago to ask him some questions. I will hold on to that to let him work... :lol:

+ Post Reply