Sencha 7132

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 27th, '11, 23:25

Re: Sencha 7132

by NOESIS » Feb 27th, '11, 23:25

Chip wrote:Thanks for your responses. 8)

7132 is a beautiful sencha varietal regardless of the less than beautiful tone of this topic.
Absolutely :!: This is a really excellent organic sencha.
Last edited by NOESIS on Feb 27th, '11, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 27th, '11, 23:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 23:30

NOESIS wrote:

7132 is a beautiful sencha varietal regardless of the less than beautiful tone of this topic.
Absolutely :!: This is a really excellent organic sencha.
Yeah, forgot the the O-C selection was organic! :mrgreen:

I did try the Umami-Chaya conventionally grown version. It was actually more cherry, but not as complex as the O-Cha organic

Feb 28th, '11, 22:36

by MarshalN » Feb 28th, '11, 22:36

alan logan wrote:@AdamMY

It does not matter what your browsing history is : google will always give you the relevant results w such specific keywords as "shizu 7132 yabukita". The results will not change w your search history, only the pagerank would, because a search history does not exclude results that are consistent with a keyword, but may put them in a different order.
Actually, that's not true. Google will give different results based on, for example, different countries. Since you claim you're located in France, your results will be different from ours.

Mar 1st, '11, 19:12

by tjsan » Mar 1st, '11, 19:12

7132 is a beautiful sencha varietal regardless of the less than beautiful tone of this topic. If you tasted and smelled it not knowing what it was, you would indeed proclaim, "SAKURA!"

According to O-Cha, it is better now than when it was a new tea as it has aged.

Tjsan, it is remarkable and definitely give it a try! :mrgreen:

I have to wonder what the future of sencha has in store for us!!!!! :idea:

Thanks Chip, I'll give it a try for sure :mrgreen:
alan logan wrote:@tjsan:

if you like shizu7132 you may also be interested in koshun and tsuyuhikari if you encounter them, they share the same component (coumarin) in much higher proportion than in other varietals and they have some of the sakura flavor.
I would even prefer koshun, I find it more complex and subtle, but that's just me.

(of course the flavors will also depend on how the teas are processed, you may encounter a tsuyuhikari that is more on a sweet side, for instance).

Edited by Moderator, please see your PM.
Thanks for the clarification about Shizu 7132. Your description of such rare varieties encouraged me to try them. I only wonder where I could to buy such cultivars as koshun and tsuyuhikari.. ?

Mar 2nd, '11, 15:29

by joannar » Mar 2nd, '11, 15:29

I got and tried my 7132 from O-Cha last night. I'm not if I brewed it properly. I don't use a thermometer, so I just decanted boiling water, gave it about 3 minutes to sit, and then brewed. I didn't really pick up on all of the delicate notes described here, which I'm assuming means the water was probably too hot?

not that the two are even remotely comparable, but the Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori "Kaoru Supreme LE", on the other hand, blew me straight away! I have never experienced such a flavourful tea in my life. I swear I can still taste the complex, savoury, buttery notes six hours after last steep...

Mar 2nd, '11, 15:42

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '11, 15:42

joannar wrote:I got and tried my 7132 from O-Cha last night. I'm not if I brewed it properly. I don't use a thermometer, so I just decanted boiling water, gave it about 3 minutes to sit, and then brewed. I didn't really pick up on all of the delicate notes described here, which I'm assuming means the water was probably too hot?

not that the two are even remotely comparable, but the Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori "Kaoru Supreme LE", on the other hand, blew me straight away! I have never experienced such a flavourful tea in my life. I swear I can still taste the complex, savoury, buttery notes six hours after last steep...
The 7132 does require careful brewing in order to bring out its lovely subtleties. It is not hard to brew per se, but to bring out the nuances, you might have to work on the parameters a bit.

And what can really compare or compete with the "sit down and prepare to have your mind blown" experience of the first steep of well brew Yutaka Midori, seriously???!!!??? Welcome to the YMCA (Y.M. Cult Addicts)???!!!???

Mar 2nd, '11, 16:11

by joannar » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:11

OK, which parameters do you generally use for 7132, Chip?

I swear the Yutaka Midori activated tastebuds I didn't know I had! Wow. A very, very rich and potent tea.

Mar 2nd, '11, 16:15

by joannar » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:15

(oh, and the YM is definitely the tea I will be brewing for family/partner to demonstrate 'why it's worth it to spend more money and order tea directly from Japan') :)

Mar 2nd, '11, 16:24

by AdamMY » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:24

Part of it could be due to the difference between Fukamushi and Asamushi teas. 7132 is an Asamushi and as such tends to be a bit more mellow. While Fukamushi teas tend to be much more in your face. But both are very good teas, although you should not expect one to taste very similar to the other.

Mar 2nd, '11, 16:38

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:38

Very true Adam. The fuka is going to offer an instant very full mouth feel with an abundance of flavors.

7132 is much more subtle, sublimely wonderful ...

Joannar, the parameters I am using for the 7132 are:

1 gram leaf per 1 ounce water (we call this 1:1 ratio) there are about 2.5 grams of this in a slightly rounded teasponn that I use ...
155* in a preheated kyusu
90 seconds

after pouring, smell the leaves in the pot each time

2nd steep, 160*ish for 30 seconds
3rd, 170* for 60 seconds
and continue increasing temp and time.

Be sure to smell the tea as well. I use a fair cup and after I pour the liquid from it, the aroma is really nice in the fair cup.

Sooo, if you might want to invest 20 bucks for a scale and 10 or so for a digital meat thermometer ... :mrgreen:

Mar 3rd, '11, 08:43

by joannar » Mar 3rd, '11, 08:43

Thank you! Enjoying some 7132 right now and definitely getting a strong honeyed aroma which might be what you described as the 'cinnamon raisin' note. Yum.

Mar 3rd, '11, 09:05

by joannar » Mar 3rd, '11, 09:05

...and having said that, yes, I'm discovering myself to be a partisan of good, rich, robust fukamushi :)

Sep 19th, '11, 20:24

by sherubtse » Sep 19th, '11, 20:24

Sorry I missed this one. (It is gone from the O-Cha site.) :(

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 19th, '11, 20:44

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 20:44

sherubtse wrote:Sorry I missed this one. (It is gone from the O-Cha site.) :(

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Yeah, since it is a Shizuoka tea it is not for sale through O-Cha at this time. Hopefully things will straighten out soon.

I am still somewhat trying to figure this varietal out. There is a cherry thing going on that from the little I have read is not an additive, but just a characteristic of this varietal. It is not like a sakura sencha which has a more assertive cherry flavor, this is quite subtle.

Interestingly (to me anyway :) ) I had gotten some from 2010 harvest this past Spring. Til I opened it in June or so (?), the cherry had virtually completely faded.

Sep 27th, '11, 06:00

by Flonihoncha » Sep 27th, '11, 06:00

7132 is effectively a breed with Yabukita as mother.
During the late 60s, in the Shizuoka prefectural Tea Research center, more than 7000 cultivar was born from Yabukita. Few of them were selected, properly named and registered (ie, Yamakai or Kurasawa, ...). At this time, 7132 wasn't paid attention, and now it's still not registered, that why this cultivar doesn' t have name, but just a number.  Now appreciate for its fragrance, it's also the mother of the excellent cultivar Tsuyu Hikari (father is Asatsuyu). 
There were also a lot of Assam cultivars in the research center, and the possibility of an " Indian father" for 7132 is important (other flowery Japanese tea cultivar, Inzatsu 131 and Koju does have Indians ancestors).

+ Post Reply