Cheap Dan Cong in Different vessels

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 3rd, '11, 03:55

Re: Cheap Dan Cong in Different vessels

by David R. » Mar 3rd, '11, 03:55

gingkoseto wrote:I constantly dream of more <120ml kyusu's :D
Have you considered these ?

Mar 3rd, '11, 04:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Mar 3rd, '11, 04:41

edkrueger wrote:I am confused. Where is the cheap DC mentioned in the tread's title?
2nd post

1st post is about the Gisui Tokoname - the stimulus for the experiments
2nd post about the tea I am using for the exercise

split because of the TeaChat rule "no more than 5 photos in any individual posting

The tea was bought from Imen over 2 years ago when she had a smaller selection of 'Single Stash' and a greater selection of commercial grade teas. When they arrived my 4 oz of Da Wu Ye came in 1 1oz bag and 1 3oz bag.

Somehow the 3oz bag never got opened, it seemed a decent sized amount to conduct a fair few experiments with.

Compare the price - to Imen's single stash prices in 2011 :lol:
although I see her commercial grade is still only 25$ for 3oz

Imen recommends that DC improves with keeping, at least 6 months before it really expresses itself, and improves more with several years. Mmmn I wonder if that applies to her Private Stash as much as the commercial grades?

Mar 3rd, '11, 04:47

by Herb_Master » Mar 3rd, '11, 04:47

gingkoseto wrote: Herb_master, it's a very nice kyusu! From what you've showed, I got an impression that the difference in taste is probably mostly caused by size difference - or is it just my illusion that the vessels are of different sizes?

I constantly dream of more <120ml kyusu's :D
Still to come in the plan - is higher density packing - but 200ml needs a lot of leaf when I get to the expensive DCs :?

Mar 3rd, '11, 04:50

by Herb_Master » Mar 3rd, '11, 04:50

David R. wrote:

I have a Shigaraki but I have enough teaware dedicated to DC, I have yet to decide on the Shigaraki, I was planning to use it on Young Sheng [when I have mastered my appreciation of young Sheng], but now that Hojo has tempted me into Taiwan Oolongs maybe the Shigaraki or the Gisui will be used for Taiwan deep fired teas!

Mar 3rd, '11, 05:22

by David R. » Mar 3rd, '11, 05:22

And you haven't tried packing a little more your Gisui teapot with your cheaper DC ?

I have to admit I am not a texture first kind of guy, I focus way more on the after taste. That is why I think I appreciate so much Akira's teas. I know that it is a main criteria for his tea selection, and what he is also looking for for his teaware.

It is always good to have the choice of arms, isn't it ? :)

Mar 3rd, '11, 06:28

by Herb_Master » Mar 3rd, '11, 06:28

Denser packing the Gisui is the next stage of the trial before moving on to a more expensive DC.

Today the Chou Zhou

3.5gm in 100ml CZ pot [before shaking the pot to settle the leaves]

15 seconds and the colour seemed fuller than 15 seconds in Gaiwan or Gisui - the taste blew me away, not ultra exquisite but so many more dimensions than the Gaiwan and Gisui.

Not as much texture and roasty warmth as the Zi Sha, but layers of savoury and mineral. Maybe a hint of graphite, and some green wood edges with a sort of mushroomy umami edge,

I was still pondering the flavours whilst my second infusion which should have been 25 seconds was brewing and while I was lost in wonderment and reverie the clock ticked on too long :(

Last edited by Herb_Master on Mar 3rd, '11, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 3rd, '11, 06:37

by Herb_Master » Mar 3rd, '11, 06:37

The 2nd accidental overbrew was A little too powerful but by the 3rd infusion of 35 seconds I was back on track

The same depth of complexity but a touch of astringency creeping in to this and later infusions

Noticeable differences between the CZ and Zi Sha, but both totally different to the Gisui and gaiwan.

I got the impression that brewed in CZ the leaf will last many more infusions than in the other 3 - maybe I need to check my gm to ml ratios again :lol:

200ml Gisui, a long time consuming each infusion, frustratingly wanting to get on with the next stage of the trial - the kettle needs refilling more often

100ml far too brief a time spent consuming each infusion, I wanted more before moving on - the kettle lasted the whole trial

140ml Zi Sha about the perfect amount for me for each infusion.

Mar 4th, '11, 18:42

by Herb_Master » Mar 4th, '11, 18:42

Today back to the Gisui but with denser packing

13 gm in 200ml

with bottled 'Buxton' my favourite mineral water for Dan Cong

I know it is not very scientific to modify 2 variables (leaf density and water) but I would be here forever taking it 1 step at a time :D

I should have lowered the timing when I increased the leaf density - this is fairly smooth but too full of flavour - 15 seconds 1st Infusion

Instead of going up to 25 seconds I went to 20 seconds 2nd Infusion

Image still an overkill of flavour and quite astringent

Mar 4th, '11, 18:55

by Herb_Master » Mar 4th, '11, 18:55

So after 2 disappointing infusions and a small amount of despondence I went down to 15 seconds on the 3rd Infusion

Not so despondent now :D the flavour profile is becoming manageable, particularly in the aftertaste at the back of the throat

4th Infusion 15 seconds

Increased aftertaste at the back of the throat and down the front of the throat as well - but strikingly the fragrance/aroma is present in the front, roof and back of the mouth - particularly as the aftertaste hits the front of the throat the aroma weafts up to the nasal area.

5th Infusion 15 seconds

6th Infusion 15 seconds and it is still going strong - perfume perhaps starting to fade but still good aftertaste and a nice slight prickle on the tip of the tongue which is something I want in my DCs

Certainly giving interesting results, now up there with the ZiSha and CZ pot - not quite as good on texture and warming flavours, but better for aftertaste and aroma throughout the whole mouth!

Must move on to a higher grade DC - but lower the density a little.

Mar 5th, '11, 17:28

by Alex » Mar 5th, '11, 17:28

Great stuff HM. Nice to see the gaiwan in action.

Mar 6th, '11, 03:02

by Oni » Mar 6th, '11, 03:02

I read the article at Hojo`s site about Dancong, and one thing I remember that cought me, that when he visited Wudong, he tasted the raw leaves from normal plantation tea, he wrote that it had very little taste that could only be felt at the nasal area, but when he tasted an old 500 years old solitary single bush in nature, the taste from the raw leaves could be felt for half an hour. I cannot imagine what a huge diffrence can be between a wild Dancong Fenhuang olong tea and a plantation Fenhuang oolong.
And he also wrote that old bush Wu Yi`s have an unaffordable price tag, but old bush Fenhuang Dancong have an affordable price tag, I assume between 100 - 200 $ for 100 grams max 300 $, for a middle class working man in western Europe, that is affordable, so this is what make Dancongs a treasure of the tea world, you don`t have to be a government official in china to drink great tea.

Mar 6th, '11, 03:46

by Tead Off » Mar 6th, '11, 03:46

HM,

Going into Hojo's shop is a traumatic experience for a tea drinker. You cannot come out of there the same drinker. It is also hazardous for your wallet. There are few teashops where you get to see and touch so many quality wares handpicked with a discerning eye.

That water test sounds like a type of torture! My wife and I came away with differing opinions which go to show we don't taste and smell the same way.

Mar 6th, '11, 12:47

by Stentor » Mar 6th, '11, 12:47

Great thread, Herb_Master. Thanks a lot for being so thorough and for posting pictures every step of the way.
As of yet, I am quite illiterate as far as oolong tea is concerned but this thread makes me want to try some very soon!

Mar 6th, '11, 15:09

by Nenugal » Mar 6th, '11, 15:09

Stentor wrote:Great thread, Herb_Master. Thanks a lot for being so thorough and for posting pictures every step of the way.
As of yet, I am quite illiterate as far as oolong tea is concerned but this thread makes me want to try some very soon!
+1! Thanks Herb_Master for very interesting information and pictures :)

Mar 10th, '11, 10:14
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 10th, '11, 10:14

David R. wrote:

Oh this is so lovely! Exactly what I want! Thank you for showing it!

+ Post Reply