Looking for a Jasmine Tea

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Mar 4th, '11, 11:52

Re: Looking for a Jasmine Tea

by Cyphre » Mar 4th, '11, 11:52

Know if you can just get the jasmine flowers by themselves anywhere?

Mar 4th, '11, 12:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 4th, '11, 12:04

Cyphre wrote:Know if you can just get the jasmine flowers by themselves anywhere?
You can certainly grow your own.

Dried jasmine buds sold by TeaSpring bare no resemblance to the jasmine scent we enjoy in naturally scented jasmine teas. They actually made me feel queasy too ...

Mar 4th, '11, 13:12

by Cyphre » Mar 4th, '11, 13:12

Chip wrote:
Cyphre wrote:Know if you can just get the jasmine flowers by themselves anywhere?
You can certainly grow your own.

Dried jasmine buds sold by TeaSpring bare no resemblance to the jasmine scent we enjoy in naturally scented jasmine teas. They actually made me feel queasy too ...
That's not good.

I was just curious because I am dedicating a yixing duanni pot to jasmine pearls (I know I don't need to use a yixing and all that. I do it cause the girls at work think it's cute plus I like it). I just finished seasoning the pot and I was thinking of doing another seasoning round but this time with just jasmine flowers to see if I can infuse the pot with that jasmine smell even more. I don't want to use oils or scented sprays on it. Plus even better would be to just store some of the jasmine buds in the little box where I keep the pot.

Mar 4th, '11, 18:47

by JRS22 » Mar 4th, '11, 18:47

The pearls are scented, not flavored. There are teas that have some petals mixed in - I've seen it referred to as modern style - and I find that steeping the petals adds a flavor I don't enjoy. I would hazard a guess that storing the pot with fresh petals would mimic the technique used to scent the tea.

I also have a yixing pot that I've devoted to Jasmine. I received it as a gift years before I began drinking tea, and it's very pretty but maybe not up to the high standards of the yixing experts on this board. I like the idea that over the years the jasmine scent will intensify.

Nov 1st, '18, 17:45

by PeterDruker » Nov 1st, '18, 17:45

Paulie1972 wrote: I took a cruise with some friends last month on Disney Cruise lines, ship- Sensation. We had an afternoon tea and I had a loose Jasmine tea that was amazing. It was incredibly floral and rich. Unfortunately I neglected to get the name of the brand of tea before the cruise was over and I was wondering if anyone knows what it might have been or if they know a Jasmine that fits the description. I have purchased several Jasmine teas recently and have been terribly disappointed with the low quality of the tea and the scent of jasmine overall. I am looking for one that is very fragrant and well infused. For me, a Jasmine tea is ALL about the jasmine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I have tried so many Jasmine teas over the past few years and have been disappointed so many times… :(

They are either: a- not tasting anything (you wonder why it is called “jasmine tea”), or b- artificially flavored with Jasmine perfume giving an aggressive taste (ever tried to drink perfume?).

Real Jasmine tea is made with a green tea base (sometimes with oolong) and then scented with real fresh jasmine flowers petals (please, please, no “natural flavours”!!). Cheap imitations are manufactured with artificial jasmine flavors sprayed over cheap quality green tea leaves.

But finally, I did find the one that I love! :D
It is floral, rich, with a beautiful jasmine flavor, organic and without any so called “natural flavorings”: https://www.parigotte.com/shop/organic-jasmine-tea

Hope it helps!

Peter

Apr 2nd, '19, 08:01

by Solman636 » Apr 2nd, '19, 08:01

On another post on this forum I found a suggestion of several good tea stores, and one was on eBay. I ordered a few teas including a jasmine which I had never tried. I saw a video on youtube demonstrating the time consuming and artful process of making jasmine tea in the traditional way and was astounded that such devotion is put into a product. Of course, I love catching the scent of jasmine when walking through the woods in late winter here in Florida so I really wondered about the tea. It only took two weeks for may package to arrive from China in the USPS. My expectations of the packaging and quality of the tea were surpassed. Even the box had the aroma of a far away store room in an asian market that can't be duplicated.

Immediately after receiving the package some friends happened by, and I served them the jasmine tea. It was fabulous. Be careful to not use too much ! I would say the usual 2.5 to 3 grams in a gaiwan with MANY steepings as I do with most teas is plenty. Don't steep too long either and err on less at a first.

There is a picture here in this listing. It was hand made and rolled into the little balls. Also, it was organic which is not so important, but from some places in China you never know if tea was sprayed with something. Anyway, I can't believe I got this fantastic tea for $7 for 50g postage paid which 1/4thor less of the other premium teas we have been drinking. No markup for a US tea store on these! One of my new favorites. Can't wait to try the white and oolong and puehr they also sent! See pic and description. I really hesitated to share this information because I don't want them to get so popular that I won't be able to get the same price, quality and service. But I felt indebted to those on this forum and honor bound to spill the tea about them. Still, this is one bit of tea dharma and wisdom I hope you will keep between us in our sangha!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232057339792

The experience of this tea was magical and made me laugh as tea often does! Not sure it has anything to do with the tea which gave pleasant sensations and a lot of laughing as often happens in my tea meditations, but the next day I had a bit of mildly uncomfortable sensation in my head. Was it an allergic type feeling due to jasmine? Or perhaps that I added a little salt to my supper whereas I almost never use it? Who knows. Anybody had any particular reaction to jasmine teas? This one is labeled organic.

May 3rd, '19, 19:47

by Solman636 » May 3rd, '19, 19:47

Solman636 wrote: On another post on this forum I found a suggestion of several good tea stores, and one was on eBay. I ordered a few teas including a jasmine which I had never tried. I saw a video on youtube demonstrating the time consuming and artful process of making jasmine tea in the traditional way and was astounded that such devotion is put into a product. Of course, I love catching the scent of jasmine when walking through the woods in late winter here in Florida so I really wondered about the tea. It only took two weeks for may package to arrive from China in the USPS. My expectations of the packaging and quality of the tea were surpassed. Even the box had the aroma of a far away store room in an asian market that can't be duplicated.

Immediately after receiving the package some friends happened by, and I served them the jasmine tea. It was fabulous. Be careful to not use too much ! I would say the usual 2.5 to 3 grams in a gaiwan with MANY steepings as I do with most teas is plenty. Don't steep too long either and err on less at a first.

There is a picture here in this listing. It was hand made and rolled into the little balls. Also, it was organic which is not so important, but from some places in China you never know if tea was sprayed with something. Anyway, I can't believe I got this fantastic tea for $7 for 50g postage paid which 1/4thor less of the other premium teas we have been drinking. No markup for a US tea store on these! One of my new favorites. Can't wait to try the white and oolong and puehr they also sent! See pic and description. I really hesitated to share this information because I don't want them to get so popular that I won't be able to get the same price, quality and service. But I felt indebted to those on this forum and honor bound to spill the tea about them. Still, this is one bit of tea dharma and wisdom I hope you will keep between us in our sangha!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232057339792

The experience of this tea was magical and made me laugh as tea often does! Not sure it has anything to do with the tea which gave pleasant sensations and a lot of laughing as often happens in my tea meditations, but the next day I had a bit of mildly uncomfortable sensation in my head. Was it an allergic type feeling due to jasmine? Or perhaps that I added a little salt to my supper whereas I almost never use it? Who knows. Anybody had any particular reaction to jasmine teas? This one is labeled organic.
PS...since first post I found that I don't need anywhere near 3 grams per 100 ml. One gram is plenty good most likely, and in fact I now simply add a few of the jasmine tea balls to some of the last steepings of green tea to give it a bit of floral scent which is mild and very agreeable.

Mar 1st, '20, 21:06

by isabellamor » Mar 1st, '20, 21:06

I love Jasmine tea and one of my favorite brands is Harney & Sons Jasmine Tea. You can get it either on their website or Amazon.

Nov 26th, '23, 14:16

by sofikkkkkkko » Nov 26th, '23, 14:16

Ask here - https://teajewel.com/collections/tea
I often buy here and they are really high quality teas. Even if they don't have Jasmine on their website, you can ask them if they have it in stock.

Dec 26th, '23, 02:20

by lilyelliott4 » Dec 26th, '23, 02:20

JRS22 wrote:
Infusion wrote:I prefer green tea base as well. Thanks for your recommendation, I will add it to my list of teas I plan to order next.
I might have an update on my favorite jasmine soon - I ordered a small gaiwan from the Tea Gallery and while I was at it added a package of their Jasmine - not pearl shaped but ovoid.
Great choice on the green tea base! Excited to hear about your experience with the jasmine from Tea Gallery, especially the ovoid-shaped variety. A small gaiwan sounds like a perfect addition to enhance your tea enjoyment. Looking forward to your update!

+ Post Reply