Russian Caravan

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 31st, '11, 22:05

Russian Caravan

by kjs » Jan 31st, '11, 22:05

Has anyone tried a Russian Caravan? It is described as Robust and smoky.

Any thoughts?

Z

Jan 31st, '11, 22:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Russian Caravan

by Chip » Jan 31st, '11, 22:13

OK, moved this one to black tea, there is a shadow under Other for the moment.

It has been quite a few years since I had RC, it was one of my earliest teas, I liked it, then all of a sudden I developed an aversion for overtly smokey teas. Recently I have attempted to be open minded to RC and Lapsang Souchong.

Feb 1st, '11, 05:02
Vendor Member

by honza » Feb 1st, '11, 05:02

In RC is more teas, some oolong, and Qimen. Lapsang is maybe 1/4 of this blend.

Feb 1st, '11, 14:35

by Poohblah » Feb 1st, '11, 14:35

I like to go straight for the Lapsang, it's more "robust and smoky" than the blended RC

Feb 1st, '11, 20:52

by kjs » Feb 1st, '11, 20:52

Chip wrote:OK, moved this one to black tea, there is a shadow under Other for the moment.

It has been quite a few years since I had RC, it was one of my earliest teas, I liked it, then all of a sudden I developed an aversion for overtly smokey teas. Recently I have attempted to be open minded to RC and Lapsang Souchong.

Man, I'm putting all my posts in the wrong places. I chose "Other Teas forum" owed to RC being "other (tea)" to the asian teas; greens, Oolangs, and the rest.

My bad....will focus on my navigation better. Do I still have to take five laps around my laptop?

Z

Feb 1st, '11, 20:54

by kjs » Feb 1st, '11, 20:54

honza wrote:In RC is more teas, some oolong, and Qimen. Lapsang is maybe 1/4 of this blend.

Do you like it?

Z

Feb 1st, '11, 20:59

by kjs » Feb 1st, '11, 20:59

Poohblah wrote:I like to go straight for the Lapsang, it's more "robust and smoky" than the blended RC

Thanks!

Z

Feb 1st, '11, 21:19

by tortoise » Feb 1st, '11, 21:19

I like it KJS. I have not had their LS, but I order caravan every winter.

Feb 2nd, '11, 03:42
Vendor Member

by honza » Feb 2nd, '11, 03:42

kjs wrote:
honza wrote:In RC is more teas, some oolong, and Qimen. Lapsang is maybe 1/4 of this blend.

Do you like it?

Z
For me is RC only memory now, before 89´not have many loose teas in Czech and this blend is famous, nice pack, import from SSSR :mrgreen: But many Tea-houses still make this blend, only Qimen and Lapsang.

I like it ? With sugar , in winter , nice 8)

Feb 2nd, '11, 03:42
Vendor Member

by honza » Feb 2nd, '11, 03:42

kjs wrote:

Do you like it?

Z
For me is RC only memory now, before 89´not have many loose teas in Czech and this blend is famous, nice pack, import from SSSR :mrgreen: But many Tea-houses still make this blend, only Qimen and Lapsang.

I like it ? With sugar , in winter , nice 8)

Feb 2nd, '11, 11:41

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '11, 11:41

honza wrote:For me is RC only memory now, before 89´not have many loose teas in Czech and this blend is famous, nice pack, import from SSSR :mrgreen: But many Tea-houses still make this blend, only Qimen and Lapsang.
This is my recollection of RC, Keemun and Lapsang, creating a much milder version of Lapsang.

Feb 2nd, '11, 16:20

by Proinsias » Feb 2nd, '11, 16:20

Thanks for the thread kjs, I've not had this tea for years and had completely forgotten about it. I'll need to pick some up. Recollections are pretty much the same as others, blended lapsang.

Feb 3rd, '11, 17:05

by kjs » Feb 3rd, '11, 17:05

Poohblah wrote:I like to go straight for the Lapsang, it's more "robust and smoky" than the blended RC
I took my first whiff of Lapsang at my local tea house. OMG!!!! WOWwee!

The lady told me they sell mostly to people who want to marinate ribs up here in these parts.

I have not been able to smell anything else all day. I did purchase the RC though.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Z

Feb 3rd, '11, 17:08

by kjs » Feb 3rd, '11, 17:08

Chip wrote:OK, moved this one to black tea, there is a shadow under Other for the moment.

I hear ya, brother Chip. I took a whiff of just Lapsing and almost feel over.

I did purchase the RC though. Have to diversify taste buds.

Z

Mar 5th, '11, 03:49

by conjurer1 » Mar 5th, '11, 03:49

I can't say it is a tea I like, possibly because I don't care for the taste of Lapsang Souchong, which is part of the blend.
On the point of blends, it has to be said that there are no hard and fast rules.
Manufacturers and retailers do seem to vary their blends to suit own ideas of what it should be like.
My comment above is to illustrate that while we may have opinions on a blend from a supplier, it doesn't mean that it can be equally applied to another suppliers product as the blends are likely to vary.
For 20+ years I have been using The Tea and Coffee Emporium of UK for my supplies.
I like them as they do give advice without prejudice.
Last edited by Chip on Mar 5th, '11, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator Edit: link removed per forum rules for new members. Please check out the forum rules under Introductions. Thanks.

+ Post Reply