Thailand dentists

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 11th, '11, 19:52

Thailand dentists

by bagua7 » Mar 11th, '11, 19:52

Hi there,

I was thinking of travelling to Thailand for undergoing a crown procedure treatment. I need some advice about where to go to in terms of paying what a Thai patient would pay rather farang (foreigner) fees as they obviously would escalate.

Also how long do I need to stay bearing in mind that a crown needs to be made first before the procedure can take place.

I really appreciate your help.

Gerard :)

Mar 11th, '11, 21:10

Re: Thailand dentists

by AdamMY » Mar 11th, '11, 21:10

While I never try and underestimate the amount of knowledge that a large collective of people would know, but honestly what makes you think people on Teachat would know this? That does not even answer the question as to, why you would want to go to Thailand to undergo a crown procedure?

Mar 11th, '11, 21:34

by SlientSipper » Mar 11th, '11, 21:34

We are tea enthusiasts.
Not an international dental board.
Why not go to Russia and get the procedure done?

Mar 11th, '11, 22:29

by ndw76 » Mar 11th, '11, 22:29

I go to Bangpakok 9 hospital in Bangkok for my dental work. You have to remember that anyone with a white coat here can open their own clinic. But big hospitals can not afford to hire anyone substandard. Also, being a big hospital they don't have a two tier pricing system.

Mar 11th, '11, 23:57

by bagua7 » Mar 11th, '11, 23:57

Hi ndw76,

Thanks for the info. I will contact them via their website.

Cheers.

Mar 12th, '11, 01:15
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 12th, '11, 01:15

bagua7, I wonder too, how come you thought of asking dentist questions on a tea forum :D But this immediately reminds me of a story I heard from another tea forum about going to Thailand to see doctors. The story was told in a Long Jing discussion. It can't be taken as health benefit testimonial. But I think it's a good story with happy ending. Besides, I think the story demonstrates that you can use the same amount of money for dental treatment in US on a trip to Thailand + dental treatment there. :D
Avonov wrote:To the more important contribution on my part… Four years ago, I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done in Bangkok, because my insurance would not pay for it in the US as a “diagnostic test”. They actually told me I would be responsible for every penny of the $6,000 cost UNLESS polyps were found. Then, it would have suddenly become a payable medical procedure. Weird, but 100% true. I didn’t want to risk a $6K debt.

I go to Thailand 2 or more times every year anyway, so I sought out the best doctor I could find. He discovered polyps in both my stomach and large intestine. He did a great job of documenting them, with a hi-res video, hi-res photos and a hand-drawn illustration. In other words, the polyps were unquestionably there! Pre-cancerous, but there.

But it turned out that Bumrungrad Hospital’s policy was only to document polyps on the first round, not to remove them. That is confirmed in writing as well. We had actually argued prior to the procedure as to whether I should be pre-medicated because of heart valve problems. The fact that he had argued against it made his argument more logical, since he had absolutely no intention of doing any cutting.

Four years later, in May of this year, I was able to use the above documentation to get the procedures pre-approved by my insurance. I was scared. I figured the polyps had doubled in quanity and size and might even be cancerous by now.

To my incredible surprise, there was no trace of a polyp this time. I went to a good doctor in a good hospital, plus he had documents in his hand as to where he should look. He was stunned, too.

The only magical cure I can even think of is that word “antioxidant”. I’ve been downing cinnamon, wild-caught salmon, blueberries, acai and LJ tea as if nothing else mattered. I have gradually increased my overall diet from roughly o% to perhaps 80% in antioxidants. In fact, the smoothie I just drank, before my LJ tea, was made with 7 different antioxidants. The proof won’t be in for years as to how effective antioxidants are, but I’m sure willing to accept it as being factual today. It doesn’t even matter to me which of them was responsible, or if it was the combination. I’m hooked! As with LJ tea, most antioxidants are delicious.

If you enjoy both good taste and nutrition at the same time, I strongly urge you to go for high quality foods and supplements, at least to the extent that you can afford them. I have nothing to gain by promoting antioxidants. I’m a pharmacist and didn’t use to believe it myself. I hadn’t drunk more than a dozen cups of tea in 57 years, until a year ago.

Mar 12th, '11, 16:32

by skilfautdire » Mar 12th, '11, 16:32

If Thailand is at walking distance, or perhaps a bus fare or train fare, or a short airplane jump, then it'd make sense I guess. Although I'd hate to think about going back for a job not well done. Otherwise it must be quite a crown (at least pure gold - platinium maybe ? titanium ? ;-) to consider taking the plane to the other end of the world to see a dentist.

Perhaps that's because I'm Canadian. Crowns are not paid for here - I think, never had one done - but unless I had several Mercedes in the driveway I would still think to see a local-to-Canada dentist.

There must be a Thai dentist somewhere in Canada ! .-)))

Mar 13th, '11, 00:36

by TubbyCow » Mar 13th, '11, 00:36

skilfautdire wrote:If Thailand is at walking distance, or perhaps a bus fare or train fare, or a short airplane jump, then it'd make sense I guess. Although I'd hate to think about going back for a job not well done. Otherwise it must be quite a crown (at least pure gold - platinium maybe ? titanium ? ;-) to consider taking the plane to the other end of the world to see a dentist.

Perhaps that's because I'm Canadian. Crowns are not paid for here - I think, never had one done - but unless I had several Mercedes in the driveway I would still think to see a local-to-Canada dentist.

There must be a Thai dentist somewhere in Canada ! .-)))
I feel like a pure gold crown would be pretty useless - gold is pretty soft!

As a fellow Canuck, I can tell you that crowns are indeed not paid for. Just got one a couple of months ago myself. Cost a pretty penny, but now I look pretty hip with my gold tooth.

I've heard good things about travelling to Mexico to get dental work done. Depending what continent you're on, that may be a cheaper alternative to Thailand.

Mar 14th, '11, 17:51

by skilfautdire » Mar 14th, '11, 17:51

Well, I do not trust that much doctors and dentists that are within apple-throwing (*) distance, so I'd have a terrible time trusting any thousand of miles away. Recently I had some kind of flu and went to the doctor. Last time was some 4 years ago. He prescribed me for $150 worth of medecine. I recovered way too fast to be able to even start taking some of these. I was not feeling good and did not want to start an argument. I'm filling the insurance claims paper today. Even if I'm not paying, I really does not have a good feeling about that doctor. It's a consumer business after all.

(*) Apples are said to keep doctors away. But for this to work well, one has to throw them precisely ! :-)

+ Post Reply