Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Mar 12th, '11, 21:47

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by tingjunkie » Mar 12th, '11, 21:47

GREENWOODSTUDIO wrote: I'm going to be making all kinds of teaware for this next firing, so I'll definitely be adding your request to the list :)
Woohoo!!! :D

So, whether we are talking various types of unglazed Japanese clay pots (Tokoname, Banko, Sado, Shigaraki, etc.), or unglazed Yixing pots, a few factors always seem to come up when discussing what makes them have a positive effect on the tea. 1) Having a higher iron content in the clay. 2) Having a clay that is porous enough to "breathe" (i.e. it sweats when boiling water is added, but doesn't leak). I think good teapot clay walks the line between being below vitrified, but high fired enough to not rob the tea of it's flavors and aromas. I'll leave it up to you and your expertise to guess what type of clay and what place in the kiln might come close!

Thanks for being so open to new ideas! As TIM said, a sign of a true ever-growing artist.

P.S. I dig the new spouts on the houjins!

Mar 13th, '11, 01:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 13th, '11, 01:41

Really like the new houjin spout, Shawn. This will likely pour faster, especially when full of leaves.

Mar 13th, '11, 21:33

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 13th, '11, 21:33

OK, here's the pot of the day, just for kicks :D

Now I know what your going to say, it's too big :P Right?... :lol: But seriously, I didn't think I'd like making this type of teapot, but I have to admit it was kind of fun, especially at this scale. I'm guessing this little guy will only hold between 40-50 ml after it's fired. I had to make the handle a bit larger then what would normally look proportionate, just to make it functional, but I think it's still well balanced in terms of weight. It has a tiny sesame seed filter in it that I used a needle tool to make the holes. The spout could have been just a touch taller. Anyway, it was kind of fun.

Mar 13th, '11, 22:38

by AdamMY » Mar 13th, '11, 22:38

It looks nice, but I worry about the handle, to easy to bump and break, unless of course you are still working on bending it back around to form a loop. I mean I guess Kyusu handles usually do not use much more clay but they tend to look more noticeable and sturdy, that one just kind of scares me.

Mar 14th, '11, 01:32

by tingjunkie » Mar 14th, '11, 01:32

GREENWOODSTUDIO wrote:OK, here's the pot of the day, just for kicks :D

Now I know what your going to say, it's too big :P Right?... :lol:
Oh, this is very promising! 40-50ml? The gongfu TeaChatters may have already turned Shawn to the dark side! :twisted:

Mar 14th, '11, 01:44

by Chip » Mar 14th, '11, 01:44

Great gong fu pot.

Is the handle hollow (with some vent hole in it) or solid? A big thing with kyusu-s is balance. Thus the shorter, hollow handles.

Mar 14th, '11, 23:02

by Chip » Mar 14th, '11, 23:02

Oh, usually the spout angles ever so slightly in towards the handle in some manner which makes pouring a bit easier. This can occur in several ways.

The handle can be pretty short, the grip changes for shorter handles. Sort of making a fist and the handle boes between the index and middle finger, the thumb holds the lid. In this case, the end of the handle is often more rounded versus angular which feels better where it meets the palm of the hand. Looking for a file photo ...

Mar 14th, '11, 23:04
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 14th, '11, 23:04

tingjunkie wrote:The gongfu TeaChatters may have already turned Shawn to the dark side! :twisted:
Do not understand the power of the gongfu dark side! :wink:

Mar 14th, '11, 23:11

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 14th, '11, 23:11

Chip wrote:Oh, usually the spout angles ever so slightly in towards the handle in some manner which makes pouring a bit easier. This can occur in several ways.
Thanks Chip, it's hard to see but the handle here is at about 80 degrees from the spout, I found that little detail tid-bit here on TC :D

IPT, are you my Father? :lol:

Mar 14th, '11, 23:20

by Chip » Mar 14th, '11, 23:20

OK Shawn, in the photo I thought it might be 90* or more.

Here are 4 different kyusu grips from the Tokoname site. The top one works extremely well for shorter handles that are needed for smaller pots in order to maintain proper overal balance. Too much weight or length and the pot of course tips too easily.

Mar 14th, '11, 23:53

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 14th, '11, 23:53

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering if I did it the wrong way :?

The hole in the lid here is at 90 degrees, should the handle be on the other side of the hole slightly :?:

Removed the back section of the wood kiln today, to be replaced with new castable refractory shortly. It's kind of neat to see the kiln with this much light coming in, usually it's very literally like a cave in there. (see broom for scale :) ) Not the prettiest pile of bricks ya ever saw, but it gets the job done.

Mar 15th, '11, 00:07

by Chip » Mar 15th, '11, 00:07

You did right Shawn, I guess it was just how it appeared.

Looks like a big project going on!

Mar 15th, '11, 04:07
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 15th, '11, 04:07

GREENWOODSTUDIO wrote:IPT, are you my Father? :lol:
No. I'm your sister's father's brother's uncle's third cousin's dog's wife's owner's brother four times removed. :D

Mar 15th, '11, 04:12
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 15th, '11, 04:12

How long will it take you to get the kiln up and running again? It looks like a big job!

Mar 15th, '11, 06:47

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 15th, '11, 06:47

It's not too bad actually, the actual going of it should only take a couple of days.

+ Post Reply