Zhang Ping Shui Xian Review

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 14th, '11, 12:36

Zhang Ping Shui Xian Review

by rabbit » Mar 14th, '11, 12:36

I purchased this tea from lifeinteacup.com, TBH I had very high hopes (maybe too high) for this tea and was a little let down :( It was decent, but not any better than your average every day oolong. It had a nice floral aroma and crisp flavor but wasn't too interesting.

202F 10s - Crisp clean taste, not incredibly smooth mouthfeel but has a nice flowery scent and slightly sweet taste.

202F 15s - Same as above with a slightly more buttery aftertaste.

212F 10s - A bit sweeter and more floral, also more smooth- hotter temps brought out a better flavor profile IMO.

212F 15s - Richer flavor- slightly metallic aftertaste (could be the water I'm using, though I didn't notice it as much before).

212F 20s - Same as above. Open leafs are medium, twiggy, and a mix of green and brown.

Image Image Image
Image Image

Mar 14th, '11, 17:34

Re: Zhang Ping Shui Xian Review

by teaisme » Mar 14th, '11, 17:34

hah someone gave me a few of these, though in different packaging, I have had sitting around for a while now

what a coincidence, because I had just opened one up this morning out of curiosity and was surprised at the appearance, deciding to brew at a later date on the off chance it may be some kind of green pu shiuxian mix.

Since you've opted for short infusions I will go with longer and fewer brews to see how it fares that way.

Something just tells me in my head that this will be a bitter thin tea.

Mar 15th, '11, 15:54

by rabbit » Mar 15th, '11, 15:54

churng wrote:hah someone gave me a few of these, though in different packaging, I have had sitting around for a while now

what a coincidence, because I had just opened one up this morning out of curiosity and was surprised at the appearance, deciding to brew at a later date on the off chance it may be some kind of green pu shiuxian mix.

Since you've opted for short infusions I will go with longer and fewer brews to see how it fares that way.

Something just tells me in my head that this will be a bitter thin tea.
It wasn't bitter at all the way that I steeped it.

Mar 16th, '11, 13:49

by teaisme » Mar 16th, '11, 13:49

did you break it apart first or just throw the brick into the pot?

Mar 16th, '11, 13:53

by rabbit » Mar 16th, '11, 13:53

churng wrote:did you break it apart first or just throw the brick into the pot?
Whole brick, the leaves weren't very pliable, so I figured it would break too many leaves if I tried to pry it apart.

Mar 23rd, '11, 14:09

by teaisme » Mar 23rd, '11, 14:09

tried out mine yesterday, it wasn't bitter, but tasted extremely mundane and something was off-putting

sipped on about 60 ml then threw the rest out because brain/body told me to stop

Sketchy tea imo, would not drink again, your tea looked better quality leaf then mine

Apr 11th, '12, 13:39

by AlexZorach » Apr 11th, '12, 13:39

I just tried this (the green), I have one of the traditional charcoal roast too that I have yet to try. I liked it a lot more than the discussion here suggests.

I found it to be unusually quick to infuse, but to be full-bodied, flavorful, and aromatic.

But it does seem pricey relative to its quality. The main things I disliked about it were a slight soapy aroma, and sourness in later infusions.

I found it to be quite different from anything I had tried so far...it's the first greener shui xian I've ever tried.

Apr 11th, '12, 15:12

by Poohblah » Apr 11th, '12, 15:12

I wonder how this compares to the "tea biscuits" over at teahabitat

+ Post Reply