Wu long (乌龙) vs. qing (青)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 14th, '11, 12:31

Wu long (乌龙) vs. qing (青)

by Evan Draper » Mar 14th, '11, 12:31

Been reading this thread,
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ha#p176228
and wondering what defines the Chinese concept of wulong (乌龙茶).
Qing cha (青茶) is partially oxidized tea, of which wulong is a subset. Qing maps on to the western concept of oolong, but 乌龙茶 is apparently much more specific..

Mar 14th, '11, 13:24

Re: Wu long (乌龙) vs. qing (青)

by wyardley » Mar 14th, '11, 13:24

My understanding of it is that wulong refers to teas following a fairly specific process (withering, bruising, drying, shaping, etc.). Historically, they've mainly been produced in certain areas too.

These days, you see "oolong" used to market teas from various different areas (India, New Zealand, Thailand) which historically haven't produced them; I assume that some are hewing much more closely to the normal production methods than others. I have seen some tea sellers (a couple from Canada come to mind) which use the term "semi-fermented" (read oxidized) instead of "oolong", but I think for the most part, we will continue to see "oolong" to describe most things in the qing cha category.

Mar 14th, '11, 14:56
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 14th, '11, 14:56

I think, qing (青) = Wu in "Wu Long" = black
Oolong = black dragon, with black referring to the color and dragon referring to the shape (if you picture a typical Wuyi).

Mar 14th, '11, 15:29
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 14th, '11, 15:29

The word 青 means "green" in English. It was what was used as the variety of tea that the word “乌龙” now covers. The older and more knowledgeable people in China still call them 青茶 here. It is not as known and usually if a person uses the term, it is a good guess they are tea knowledgeable.

Mar 21st, '11, 23:28

by Evan Draper » Mar 21st, '11, 23:28

So is IPT correct in saying 乌龙茶 and 青茶 are identical concepts, and the latter is just a more old-fashioned way of saying it?

Mar 21st, '11, 23:33
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 21st, '11, 23:33

I just wanted to make it clear, that as a category of teas, including Tie Guanyin, Gaoshan, Da Hong Pao, etc, the terms 青茶 and 乌龙茶 are interchangeable. As a variety of tea, it is not.

+ Post Reply