Multiple Infusions

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 30th, '07, 23:39

Multiple Infusions

by Volshan » Sep 30th, '07, 23:39

Hello. I've searched the forums, and while I see many threads on multiple infusions, I haven't found any that answer the question I have.

When I infuse tea multiple times, how much of the chemicals that make tea healthy and a promoter for weight loss remain? I'm talking about the catechin and other things that make tea so great.

Does the amount in my cup taper off gradually, or greatly with each subsequent steeping? What if I steep longer each time?

Oct 1st, '07, 01:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Oct 1st, '07, 01:38

It's those chemicals that are responsible for the taste of tea. Here is the breakdown:
http://www.fmltea.com/Teainfo/tea-chemistry%20.htm

Exactly how much remains throughout multiple infusions really depends on the individual tea. The link above should give you some idea, however.

I wouldn't particularly depend on tea as a weight-loss potion, however. I think the most it will do is give you an extra pound or two loss when you eat right and exercise. You may already know this, and I mean no offense, but some people do tend to hold unrealistic expectations of tea when it comes to weight loss.

Oct 1st, '07, 02:03

by Volshan » Oct 1st, '07, 02:03

ABx wrote:It's those chemicals that are responsible for the taste of tea. Here is the breakdown:
http://www.fmltea.com/Teainfo/tea-chemistry%20.htm

Exactly how much remains throughout multiple infusions really depends on the individual tea. The link above should give you some idea, however.

I wouldn't particularly depend on tea as a weight-loss potion, however. I think the most it will do is give you an extra pound or two loss when you eat right and exercise. You may already know this, and I mean no offense, but some people do tend to hold unrealistic expectations of tea when it comes to weight loss.
Thanks... I've actually been using tea as an appetite suppressant, and a replacement for snacks. Not only that, it's an encouragement for me lately to eat only healthy foods, and even then not enough to fall into the realms of my overeating habits.

Oct 1st, '07, 11:17

by Mocha Wheels » Oct 1st, '07, 11:17

thank God for dessert teas is all i have to say! :P

Oct 14th, '07, 12:02

Catechins

by Trey Winston » Oct 14th, '07, 12:02

As far as I know, the small effect on weight loss from tea is a result of the caffeine speeding up the metabolism by a tiny amount. It equals out to losing a handful of pounds a year if you drink tea consistently throughout every day.

Using green tea as an appetite supressant and snack replacement is a good tip - I'll have to be more conscious about that approach. Thanks.
Trey

Oct 14th, '07, 13:05

by bambooforest » Oct 14th, '07, 13:05

I couldn't agree more... In my opinion, with tea, its greatest capacity in terms of contributing to someone losing weight is by using it as a delicious means to skip snacks etc.

+ Post Reply