Advice please

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Aug 22nd, '05, 07:59

Advice please

by Katie » Aug 22nd, '05, 07:59

Hello,
I'm new here and not sure if anyone can help me. I am giving my daughter a baby shower at home. She would like a tea party shower. Yes I know about the finger sandwiches etc. but that's where it stops. Help!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also don't want to make this a VERY pricey shower either.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Katie :?:

Aug 22nd, '05, 11:05

by PeteVu » Aug 22nd, '05, 11:05

youre in luck! tea can be one of the most inexpensive beverages in the world. even the most expensive tea you can find here at adagio will cost less than the cheapest bottle of wine at Specs. The things you have to consider are how many courses of tea to serve, what type of tea, and which tea to match with the food you serve. How many guests are you serving? if its just a few (about 6 or less) then you can probably prepare enough tea with a couple pots. If you are expecting a larger guest list, preparation of the tea can require a little creativity. Maybe you can give us a list of the courses of food you intend to serve and an approximate guest number so that we can help you out better.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 22nd, '05, 11:17

Re: Advice please

by Mike B » Aug 22nd, '05, 11:17

Katie wrote:Hello,
I'm new here and not sure if anyone can help me. I am giving my daughter a baby shower at home. She would like a tea party shower.
I don't know. Giving a pregnant woman tea -- when pregnant women already pee more than humanly possible to begin with -- almost seems needlessly cruel.

If she insists, though, I think you have to have deliciously iced petit fours. In fact, I need deliciously iced petit fours.

Why hasn't anyone sent me some freakin' petit fours?

Aug 23rd, '05, 17:19

Re: Advice please

by heathenesque » Aug 23rd, '05, 17:19

Mike B wrote: I don't know. Giving a pregnant woman tea -- when pregnant women already pee more than humanly possible to begin with -- almost seems needlessly cruel.
Seriously, green tea is great for expectant mothers! A Japanese study found that regular drinkers of green tea had double the zinc intake of non-green tea drinkers - apparently, this is A Good Thing, as zinc is one of those 'must have' minerals for pregnant women.

I've no idea how to go about organising 'shower parties' or what' would be expected (we in the UK don't have such a thing), but I think I'd go for simple blends: an Earl Grey, a Ceylon, an Assam TGFOP with a nice malty twist. A Sencha, and some Gunpowder. Perhaps a Keemun, for variety. Also: flavoured teas, black and green: mango, strawberry, etc., for the people who perhaps don't go for tea as such. You'd probably have to throw in a decaff alternative for those kind of people :D Don't think it matters whether you go for a fruit infusion, Rooibos, or straight decaff.

Have no idea whether this is of any help, but good luck!!
Last edited by heathenesque on Aug 23rd, '05, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 23rd, '05, 17:28

by chris » Aug 23rd, '05, 17:28

I actually did a great deal of research on this subject when i was writing an article about tea tips for pregnant women. Here is the link:

http://www.teamuse.com/article_050501.html

OK, I've been getting a lot of emails about this article. So maybe I did the research because I thought I was pregnant. Then I read a biology book and found out I wasn't.

Nature -- go figure!

Chris
Adagio Maestro

PS... MikeB, the Petit Fours are in the mail. Ilya may have eaten one, so they may only be Petit Threes.

Aug 25th, '05, 00:12

by PeteVu » Aug 25th, '05, 00:12

what is this petit four i hear of? ::confused:: ?=(
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 25th, '05, 07:07

by Mike B » Aug 25th, '05, 07:07

Aug 25th, '05, 11:22

by chris » Aug 25th, '05, 11:22

MikeB,

Please don't post pictures of food-- not because it's inappropriate, but because we're hungry.

All we eat at Adagio is bagels.

SERIOUSLY.

Ilya's actually growing a hole in his center (nice set up, huh, MikeB?).

Voraciously,

Chris
Adagio "Everything Bagel" Maestro

Aug 25th, '05, 16:28

by Mike B » Aug 25th, '05, 16:28

chris wrote:Ilya's actually growing a hole in his center (nice set up, huh, MikeB?).
This joke -- she is too easy. One does not applaud the tenor for clearing his throat (tm Dangerous Liaisons).

+ Post Reply