Wuyi Ensemble

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 14th, '07, 17:03

Wuyi Ensemble

by alternativecouple » Oct 14th, '07, 17:03

I recently ordered a number of samples from Adagio which included Wuyi Ensemble. I'm interested in hearing from others who have tasted this tea.

I typically like most oolongs, however this one seems really grassy to me like some brands of green tea that I have had. Am I perhaps not brewing it correctly...I used water that was below the boiling point (sorry don't have a way to measure exact temp at the moment), steeped it for about 5 minutes.
Live and Love Well,

Sandy

Oct 14th, '07, 21:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 14th, '07, 21:11

Grassy wuyi??? I never heard of that.

I usually use a much shorter steeping time. But grassy? That is strange.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 14th, '07, 22:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Oct 14th, '07, 22:39

I've had the Wuyi Ensemble. I'd describe it as woody, but not grassy. To be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed with the Wuyi Ensemble, but it's probably okay as far as the traditional Wuyi goes. I just much prefer the other Wuyi yancha varieties, like Rou Gui, Da Hong Pao, Shui Jin Gui, Shui Xian, Lao Cong Shui Xian, Tie Lo Han, etc etc.

Oct 15th, '07, 01:37
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Re: Wuyi Ensemble

by skywarrior » Oct 15th, '07, 01:37

alternativecouple wrote:I recently ordered a number of samples from Adagio which included Wuyi Ensemble. I'm interested in hearing from others who have tasted this tea.

I typically like most oolongs, however this one seems really grassy to me like some brands of green tea that I have had. Am I perhaps not brewing it correctly...I used water that was below the boiling point (sorry don't have a way to measure exact temp at the moment), steeped it for about 5 minutes.
Grassy seems, well, wrong. I think you're over-brewing it. I've been setting the temp as for high greens and brewing it for 3-4 minutes, tops.

I've been impressed with the wuyi here, so maybe my tastes are eclectic. It's one of the better oolongs I've tasted, IMO.

Oct 15th, '07, 08:30

Wuyi Ensemble

by alternativecouple » Oct 15th, '07, 08:30

Thanks for the suggestions...will try a shorter brewing time and see what I get.
Live and Love Well,

Sandy

+ Post Reply