TC Official Topic: Japan Relief Efforts/Opportunities!

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Mar 22nd, '11, 09:40
Scrolling: scrolling

TC Official Topic: Japan Relief Efforts/Opportunities!

by Chip » Mar 22nd, '11, 09:40

For ease of locating opportunities to help in the Japan relief efforts ... members may post efforts that they are involved in or otherwise. I know of 3 members who are involved, coincidentally all TA potters.

Obviously a lot of help is needed, and every little bit helps.

Thank you!

Hmmm ... now where to put this topic?

Mar 22nd, '11, 10:07

Re: Japan Relief Efforts/Opportunities!

by JBaymore » Mar 22nd, '11, 10:07

Potter Specific Relief Fund

First of all, THANK YOU Chip for setting up this special location for these efforts. And to the others here on Teachat who are also trying to help the people of Japan with this tragedy.

While the mainstream media continues to focus on the "hot button" radiation issue, it is very easy to forget that the earthquake and tsunami did horrific damage. This is tending to be overshadowed by the nuclear fears (which also have potential to be pretty horrible in their own right if things go any further in a bad direction).

An example of the situation for the potters from the eathrquake is that almost all of the large wood fired kilns in the pottery center town of Mashiko are badly damaged or destroyed. Nearby pottery town Kasama fared no better. As did Motegi, and other places. Here is a picture of the historical Hamada Shoji salt kiln that is located at the museum there in Mashiko:
KochiraIsaka-sanMashikoHamadaShojiSaltKilnDamage1.jpg
KochiraIsaka-sanMashikoHamadaShojiSaltKilnDamage1.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Most other potter's big wood kilns there look much the same.

I know potters that were in the middle of firings when the earthquake happened; they lost not only the kilns, but all the work they contained. Sometimes this work is a half a year's materials and labor.

I got the ball rolling on a tax-decuctable relief fund targeted specifically for Japanese potters who have sustained losses to homes, studios, kilns and the like through the Potters Council of the American Ceramic Society. (I am on the Board of Directors.)

Here is the location of the fund:

http://www.pubservice.com/Submiscrcpt.a ... PK=S103DON

Thank you in advance to any Teachatters who are able to contribute to this effort. NO donation is too small. Every penny (Yen) can help preserve the livelyhood of these artists and help continue the legacy of their skills to the world.

best,

............john

Mar 22nd, '11, 23:47

Re: TC Official Topic: Japan Relief Efforts/Opportunities!

by bagua7 » Mar 22nd, '11, 23:47

John, thanks for the info and for providing a direct link for us to assist the Japanese potters.

Regards,

Gerard.

Mar 23rd, '11, 08:03

by JBaymore » Mar 23rd, '11, 08:03

bagua7 wrote:John, thanks for the info and for providing a direct link for us to assist the Japanese potters.

Regards,

Gerard.
Gerard,

どいたしまして。 Doitashimashite. You are welcome.

best,

...........john

Mar 24th, '11, 12:14

by Robert Fornell » Mar 24th, '11, 12:14

Handmade for Japan - Earthquake/Tsunami Relief Auction

Ayumi Horie's efforts are now found here:
http://www.facebook.com/handmadeforjapa ... ?sk=photos
http://stores.ebay.com/handmade-for-japan -

The first auction of items being previewed on the site begins today 8PM EDT and I wish all here to take a look and then place your bids. Your thoughtful consideration and generousity to this timely cause is most appreciated.

Be well,
Rob

Update..... In 4 hours Handmade for Japan has raised over $20,000 for Japan relief..... way to go Ayumi!
Last edited by Robert Fornell on Mar 25th, '11, 00:23, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 24th, '11, 12:23

by Robert Fornell » Mar 24th, '11, 12:23

Silent Auction for Japan Relief at the Bellevue Arts Musuem

For those of you in the Pacific NW I have organized a silent auction of artists' work which will be held at the Bellevue Arts Museum - 510 Bellevue Way Bellevue WA, tomorrow Friday 3/25 from 5PM to 7:45PM. Artists from around the country, including Richard Milgrim, Peter Callas, Hank Murrow, and Chuck Hindes have donated work of which 100% of the proceeds will go to Sekijuji, Red Cross Japan. I feel it is imperative for us to try to get funds to relief organizations as quickly as possible to ease the suffering of the people. Also participating with be Seattle Urasenke Tantokai who will be serving matcha and a sweet for a $5 donation in an effort to further the cause.

If you are in the area, please plan on stopping by to help us in this cause. Cash and credit card donations are gratefully received as well.

Sincerely,
Rob

Apr 3rd, '11, 19:25

by JBaymore » Apr 3rd, '11, 19:25

I just got back from Tampa, Florida from the annual conference of the National Council for Education in the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) where we also held the annual spring Board of Directors meeting of the Potters Council of the American Ceramic Society. As the President of the Board, I am pleased to say that the Potters Council fund mentioned in this thread is growing nicely.

I'd like to sincerely thank any TeaChatters who have already contributed to the effort. And to encourage anyone who might have the means to contribute to stop by the donation website link above/below to make a tax deductable contribution on the secure server page there. No donation is too small.

http://www.pubservice.com/Submiscrcpt.a ... PK=S103DON

best,

.................john

May 10th, '11, 00:23

by Chip » May 10th, '11, 00:23

As many of you know, it has been heavy on my heart to find a way for TeaChat, TCers to get involved in the relief effort. So, combining my love of Japan, Hagi with such an effort seems perfect.

Hagi SO 15 Sendai. Read all about it here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 72#p196472

May 22nd, '11, 17:13

by Chip » May 22nd, '11, 17:13

And the topic is now live ... TeaChat Hagi SSO 15 Sendai, Japan Relief Effort.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15663

+ Post Reply