I just don't get this about brewing

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 30th, '11, 16:16

Re: I just don't get this about brewing

by teaisme » Mar 30th, '11, 16:16

:lol: :mrgreen:

Mar 30th, '11, 16:18

by edkrueger » Mar 30th, '11, 16:18

Tead Off wrote: Gingko, gang is correct. Religions are like gangs, you join up and begin to believe that you are living life correctly. Tea drinkers seem to fall into a similar trap.
For some people its even more major. Some even refer to the leader of their tea gang as a god.

Mar 30th, '11, 18:32

by tingjunkie » Mar 30th, '11, 18:32

edkrueger wrote:
Tead Off wrote: Gingko, gang is correct. Religions are like gangs, you join up and begin to believe that you are living life correctly. Tea drinkers seem to fall into a similar trap.
For some people its even more major. Some even refer to the leader of their tea gang as a god.
What chu talkin bout Willis?

Mar 30th, '11, 19:12

by tortoise » Mar 30th, '11, 19:12

Looks like we scared off teageekah. Hopefully they are still brewing tea.
:lol:

Mar 30th, '11, 19:25

by David R. » Mar 30th, '11, 19:25

TIM wrote:poof
I should have saved the beautiful photo when I had the chance !

Mar 30th, '11, 19:53

by AdamMY » Mar 30th, '11, 19:53

tortoise wrote:Looks like we scared off teageekah. Hopefully they are still brewing tea.
:lol:
To tell you the truth He (she) asked the exact same question in at least 2 other tea forums and I do not think they have been back to check on either one since. In fact only the one on Teachat received more than a reply or two, possibly due to the side bar discussion this one got into.

Apr 1st, '11, 05:26

by bagua7 » Apr 1st, '11, 05:26

edkrueger wrote:
TIM wrote:there are many ways and one Clear way
I like that.
The Way. There are Buddhists, Daoists, Sufis, Vedanta followers, Kabbalahists, Mystic Christians, etc. and all follow their own practices trying to reach spiritual liberation...all seem valid (to me). Same can be said about Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyi, Liuhebafa, Ziranmen practitioners, etc. each with their way of understanding the flow of Qi and the role of the mind during practice...all seem valid (to me).

Same can be said about Cha Dao...nothing should be written in absolute terms. I enjoyed glass of cold sheng puerh this morning after I left the the fridge last night's brew; it was hot and humid, as it usually is down here tropical Australia; not that it really cooled me down (a cup of green tea would have done the real job) but I enjoyed it.

Maybe the only absolute I know of is that to prepare tea you need H2O. :lol:

Apr 1st, '11, 13:59

by tingjunkie » Apr 1st, '11, 13:59

Bagua7, in your opinion, is anyone who drinks tea a "Cha Dao practitioner?" Is drinking cold puerh from your fridge a form of Cha Dao? What about tea bags?

I would argue someone who brews tea bags, but really focuses, pays attention and continuously trys to push the tea bags to their meager limits is more of a practitioner of Cha Dao than the person who buys 50's Red Label and only pays attention to the flavor notes. Cha Dao is NOT a religion, buy it is a "way" which requires dedication and reverence for the leaf, the farmers, and nature itself. Everything else is just drinking tea. Nothing wrong with being a tea drinker, but calling all tea drinking a "way" is a little too touchy-feely, "I'm ok, you're ok" for my tastes.

Apr 1st, '11, 23:32

by Tead Off » Apr 1st, '11, 23:32

tingjunkie wrote: Cha Dao is NOT a religion, buy it is a "way" which requires dedication and reverence for the leaf, the farmers, and nature itself.
So is life. One can single out bananas as 'a way'. One brings to the table an accumulation of ideas and beliefs, lots of information, garnered from reading books and talking to others. None of this has anything to do with simply drinking tea without looking for anything. This is something that cannot be practiced but discovered.

Apr 2nd, '11, 01:49

by bagua7 » Apr 2nd, '11, 01:49

tingjunkie wrote:Bagua7, in your opinion, is anyone who drinks tea a "Cha Dao practitioner?"...
Why not? If you drink from a tea bag and suddenly experience satori in your kitchen, wouldn't this be a cha dao experience? I would give a definite "yes." :wink:

Now define me religion, please? And don't use a conventional mind. :wink:

Apr 2nd, '11, 16:02
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Apr 2nd, '11, 16:02

Ho ho... I am sure op could get quite a headache by reading all the posts s/he induced :lol:

I took time to read page 1-3 again and am more confused. So Tingjunkie mentioned (on page 1) he wouldn't fully pack a pot except for some Yan cha. Tead Off mentioned he sometimes use 1/3 to 1/2 full pot for some oolong (on page 2). So basically I don't see what differences you two hold. The leaf/water ratio you guys use look quite similar to me. Also I think what wyardley said about leaf ratio not equal to leaf mass (on page 3) is very important. Besides 1/2 full in a 50ml pot is not the same as 1/2 full in a 100ml pot. So isn't it very possible that 1/2 full of Tead Off's pot is pretty much the same or similar enough to, say, 2/3 full of Tingjunkie's pot, or the other way around? Isn't it very possible that Tead Off and Tingjunkie often drink tea in a very similar way anyway?

Now we are talking about using more tea or less tea in a brewing, but I haven't yet seen a clear definition line about what's "more" and what's "less". It would be clearer for everybody if there is a line drawn, for example, (x+_0.5) grams of #%! tea in a y ml pot. Then we can start from there and find out whether all the people are talking about the same thing. :idea:

Apr 2nd, '11, 17:24

by tingjunkie » Apr 2nd, '11, 17:24

bagua7 wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Bagua7, in your opinion, is anyone who drinks tea a "Cha Dao practitioner?"...
Why not? If you drink from a tea bag and suddenly experience satori in your kitchen, wouldn't this be a cha dao experience?
Oh, good. We're discussing reality now. :roll: I think I'll take a pass on defining religion though thanks. :lol: That's harder than defining "art."

Apr 2nd, '11, 22:15

by Tead Off » Apr 2nd, '11, 22:15

gingkoseto wrote:Ho ho... I am sure op could get quite a headache by reading all the posts s/he induced :lol:

I took time to read page 1-3 again and am more confused. So Tingjunkie mentioned (on page 1) he wouldn't fully pack a pot except for some Yan cha. Tead Off mentioned he sometimes use 1/3 to 1/2 full pot for some oolong (on page 2). So basically I don't see what differences you two hold. The leaf/water ratio you guys use look quite similar to me. Also I think what wyardley said about leaf ratio not equal to leaf mass (on page 3) is very important. Besides 1/2 full in a 50ml pot is not the same as 1/2 full in a 100ml pot. So isn't it very possible that 1/2 full of Tead Off's pot is pretty much the same or similar enough to, say, 2/3 full of Tingjunkie's pot, or the other way around? Isn't it very possible that Tead Off and Tingjunkie often drink tea in a very similar way anyway?

Now we are talking about using more tea or less tea in a brewing, but I haven't yet seen a clear definition line about what's "more" and what's "less". It would be clearer for everybody if there is a line drawn, for example, (x+_0.5) grams of #%! tea in a y ml pot. Then we can start from there and find out whether all the people are talking about the same thing. :idea:
Gingko, to me, packing the pot means packing the pot. I take the term literally as opposed to using 1/2 the pot full of tea leaves. I'm sure Tingjunkie enjoys drinking tea as much as I do no matter how he prepares it. When we look into our cups full of tea, we not only see the color, we see ourselves reflected back to us. :lol:

Apr 3rd, '11, 00:01

by wyardley » Apr 3rd, '11, 00:01

gingkoseto wrote: Also I think what wyardley said about leaf ratio not equal to leaf mass (on page 3) is very important. Besides 1/2 full in a 50ml pot is not the same as 1/2 full in a 100ml pot.
Also, when eyeballing by volume, the shape of the brewing vessel and how much you tap it after adding the tea (or how you build up the tea leaves) makes a big difference.

Apr 3rd, '11, 19:54
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 3rd, '11, 19:54

tingjunkie wrote:
bagua7 wrote:
Why not? If you drink from a tea bag and suddenly experience satori in your kitchen, wouldn't this be a cha dao experience?
Oh, good. We're discussing reality now. :roll: I think I'll take a pass on defining religion though thanks. :lol: That's harder than defining "art."
‎"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorcre minds"- Albert Einstein

+ Post Reply