Thursday TeaDay 3/31/11 Another tea vs teaware war!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

What do you feel you take the most/best care of, your tea or your teaware? Please share details!

TEA, definitely
14%
I think tea
No votes
Split up the middle
43%
I think teaware
29%
Teaware, definitely
11%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Mar 31st, '11, 01:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 3/31/11 Another tea vs teaware war!

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 01:32

Happy TeaDay one and all! Please stop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day!

Yesterday we discussed Teaware Segregation. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. What do you feel you take the most/best care of, your tea or your teaware? Please share details!

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Mar 31st, '11, 02:24

Re: Thursday TeaDay 3/31/11 Another tea vs teaware war!

by karmaplace » Mar 31st, '11, 02:24

I'm not usually drinking all the same teas everyday, so I pay a lot less attention to my teas than I do my teawares. Plus, the teas go a lot quicker. :mrgreen:

I've had lots and lots of okuyutaka sencha today with the ROCK. Very yummy.

Mar 31st, '11, 04:38
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 31st, '11, 04:38

I take equal care of my tea and tea ware. Some teas need to be taken good care of. I'm drinking some spring maojian green tea at the moment.

Mar 31st, '11, 07:45

by Chasm » Mar 31st, '11, 07:45

There is a lot of very careful labor that goes into making the teas I drink, so I take good care of it both out of respect for those who made it and because I get better results.

I was a bit fumble-fingered at first, so I stuck to teaware I could afford to lose, and worked at the practice that good tea and good teaware require focus. Since I'm an engineer, I work with dangerous materials and situations at times that also require a pause for focus and review of what must be done before taking an action, so I just had to build the habit of doing the same with tea. Now it's rarely a problem.

As with safety protocols at work, it's always worth considering and regularly reviewing whether any obstacles to perfect handling can be removed. The standard rule with hazardous liquids (even as simple a chlorine bleach) is that you never carry the primary container without putting it in a secondary container, such as a bucket, to help contain the liquid should some accident occur. Boiling water is a hazardous liquid.

Teaware isn't hazardous, but it is delicate, so while sometimes hand-carrying it is the best option, often the secondary container is a good idea. I usually carry teaware on a tray.

Before you move a hazardous material or delicate material in a lab, you pause to inspect that the location it will move to is clear and ready and that there are no obstacles in the path that could cause a problem if you instantaneously turned into someone with no sense of balance in mid-transport.

These practices and regular review to make sure you're not cutting corners work well in lab or industrial settings, so I thought they were worth practicing at home. If you always follow protocol and never deviate, the likelihood of an absent-minded slip-up is low. Plus you're already set up with the skills and habits should you need to handle working with an injury or your own old age.

Mar 31st, '11, 08:17

by Trey Winston » Mar 31st, '11, 08:17

I like to think that I take decent care of the teas I have. And I don't have much teaware anyway. So put me down for Definitely Tea.

Dragon Well is the tea of the day.

Mar 31st, '11, 09:13

by CynTEAa » Mar 31st, '11, 09:13

Hello and Happy TeaDay to everyone! Just wanted to pop in and wish the CHIPster a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hugs!! :D :D :D

Mar 31st, '11, 09:22

by AdamMY » Mar 31st, '11, 09:22

Happy Birthday Chip!!! I hope you get some more Sencha in the House Today!

Mar 31st, '11, 12:24

by JRS22 » Mar 31st, '11, 12:24

Happy 101st birthday Chip (or does that number after your name mean you were the 101st member?). A proud example of how tea keeps us young.

I'm enjoying another one of the puerhs from the OTTI, and thinking about how much I learned from Tea Chat. Now that I've got the hang of brewing it, drinking puerh is no longer stressful.

I take equal care of my tea and tea ware, because they're both important and contribute to my enjoyment of tea. I've been avoiding "collecting" tea ware, so I've got 1 of each at this point, small, medium and large gaiwans, a small tokoname kyusu, and a larger glazed kyusu. Oh, and a motley assortment of homemade and other tea cups.

Mar 31st, '11, 12:31

by woozl » Mar 31st, '11, 12:31

Happy DB Chip.
Must be all the sencha you drink
that has let you live to 101 :wink:

Nothing in the cup, yet
It's still in the box, Rock landed as
I type!

Mar 31st, '11, 12:33

by tortoise » Mar 31st, '11, 12:33

Tea, Teaware...it's all one.

The modest and satisfying farmer's choice BZ this a.m.

Likely some HF TGY after lunch.

Mar 31st, '11, 12:40

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 12:40

CynTEAa wrote:Hello and Happy TeaDay to everyone! Just wanted to pop in and wish the CHIPster a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hugs!! :D :D :D
Thank you kindly!
AdamMY wrote:Happy Birthday Chip!!! I hope you get some more Sencha in the House Today!
Did you send some??? :mrgreen: Thanks!

It is actually a possiblilty that sencha will arrive today. Ironically, today will not include sencha for the first time in almost a year, unless it does arrive. :cry:
JRS22 wrote:Happy 101st birthday Chip (or does that number after your name mean you were the 101st member?). A proud example of how tea keeps us young.
Actually, it is my eleventy first (111th) but the forum does not allow insertion beyond 100 (which I put in last year).
A speech I am paraphrasing from another famous eleventy firster ...
a famous hobbit, paraphrased wrote:"Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable TeaDrinkers." [cheers abound.] "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
:lol: My fave speech possibly of all time ... from middle earth anyway.

Mar 31st, '11, 12:53

by David R. » Mar 31st, '11, 12:53

Happy birthday Chip !! :D

I say teaware, cause I tend to decorate my living room with it. Tea needs more shadow and calm, which doesn't mean I am not careful.

Mar 31st, '11, 13:43

by Nenugal » Mar 31st, '11, 13:43

Happy birthday, Chip! Will your birthday cake be a pu-erh bing with 101 candles?

Mar 31st, '11, 14:50

by artmom » Mar 31st, '11, 14:50

Chip, Many Happy Returns of the Day!!!

Hope you have lots of nice surprises, :mrgreen:

Mar 31st, '11, 15:02

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 15:02

David R. wrote:Happy birthday Chip !! :D
Merci de bien vouloir! :mrgreen:
Nenugal wrote:Happy birthday, Chip! Will your birthday cake be a pu-erh bing with 101 candles?
Takk vennlig! :mrgreen:
110 candles! :wink:
artmom wrote:Chip, Many Happy Returns of the Day!!!

Hope you have lots of nice surprises, :mrgreen:
I am hoping for KEEPERS versus returns! :mrgreen:

Many thanks! :mrgreen: