Darjeeling 1st Flush

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Mar 29th, '11, 00:30

Darjeeling 1st Flush

by Tead Off » Mar 29th, '11, 00:30

Talking to 2 tea sellers in Darjeeling, both told me that the first flush has been ready but there is a dispute going on, labor?, and none of it is being allowed to leave the gardens. It is just sitting there waiting for the political knot to be untangled. So, except for drips and drabs of product coming out, by and large we have no new teas yet. It's a good thing the tea was already processed. Can you imagine a strike of the processors of the tea or the pickers?

Mar 29th, '11, 09:48

Re: Darjeeling 1st Flush

by woozl » Mar 29th, '11, 09:48

Perhaps a tough of good news in these troubled times.
http://teatrekker.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... a-is-over/

Mar 29th, '11, 11:01

by Tead Off » Mar 29th, '11, 11:01

woozl wrote:Perhaps a tough of good news in these troubled times.
http://teatrekker.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... a-is-over/
According to today's news, it is not over.

Mar 30th, '11, 14:32

by yshuto » Mar 30th, '11, 14:32

Contacted Mariage for the latest news on their 1st flush Darjeeling Teas. The response I received is posted below. They do have the North Tukvar and now they also have the Namring as well. Yes, it's reeaaally expensive, far higher in price than any other online retailer, but for the quality/taste, Mariage is second to none. So I placed oders for the 2011 1st flush teas along with several other 2010 1st flush teas.

==============================================================
"There is a great deal of uncertainties about the embargo taking place right now in Darjeeling. We managed so far to receive the excellent North Tukvar DJ1 SFTGFOP1 (that I really recommend) and we are expecting in a day or two the first flushes (DJ1) of both Namring and Poomong tea estates, despite strikes and embargo.

According to the Indian press and to Estates Managers in Darjeeling we are in contact with, we may have to wait until mid-april to receive shipment to the other estates."
==================================================================

Mar 31st, '11, 19:21

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 19:21

1ST Flush Darjeeling on teaemporium, I think is expensive, but I have never bought it, so I really don´t know

http://www.teaemporium.net/NewSite/default.html

Apr 1st, '11, 08:47

by kymidwife » Apr 1st, '11, 08:47

Once the political mess is straightened out and harvests begin to be available from various estates, you will see a pretty broad price range. And as with most things, I've found that all first-flush Darjeeling is not created equal, so the super cheap stuff usually isn't as good to me. That being said, I don't think Tea Emporium's prices are particularly high, especially considering that shipping from India is free for purchases over 59.00 USD. I also think Tea Emporium's quality is really top-notch... I've been nothing but deliriously happy with the teas I've bought there. Have not ordered the Thurbo yet... holding out for other estates because I enjoy trying a variety of things, and it works out well for the shipping cost.

Sarah

Apr 15th, '11, 18:09

by yshuto » Apr 15th, '11, 18:09

The teas arrived safely from Mariage and was only held up in customs for a day. Mariage had all the export/import papers in order so there were no additional charges or long delays.
The Namring Spring Flush is a great tea. It is everything I expect from a Spring Flush Darjeeling tea. It is slightly astringent yet I like that in a Darjeeling tea. It also has a light almond taste.
North Tukvar First Flush is, for me, a disappointment. It is unlike any other Darjeeling tea I have ever tasted and has a grassy bitter taste to it. It was highly recommended from Mariage but I cannot recommend it. I tried adjusting the amount of tea, steeping times, temperature of water but still could not get a good cup out of it.
I also bought the 2010 Spring Flush Moondakotee and Margaret's Hope. Even after a passage of almost one year, they are still great tasting teas.
To round out the order, I purchased Queen Victoria and Cha Thai. Queen Victoria is a great blend of Summer Flush teas and Cha Thai is a tea that goes great with milk.

May 21st, '11, 15:44

by siae » May 21st, '11, 15:44

yshuto:

I attended a first flush tea tasting-event in Oslo and my favourit was the North Tukvar DJ2. I found it excellent and not bitter at all, in fact, I found it the most smooth of all of their 9 FF darjeeling.

Could the DJ2 be very different from the DJ1?

May 23rd, '11, 19:36

by yshuto » May 23rd, '11, 19:36

Even within flushes, the tea harvested at the same estate can be different. I should clarify my statement. The North Tukvar DJ1 was not necessarily a "bad" tasting tea, It was unlike any other Darjeeling Tea I have ever had. The staff at Mariage (France) loves the taste of the Tukvar tea which hints of pistachios. Suprisingly, they do not offer the North Tukvar in Mariage Japan. I also purchased the 2011 Namring and Namring Upper(only offered in Japan). They both are great teas with the classic Darjeeling taste which I prefer.

Jun 2nd, '11, 23:19

by murrius » Jun 2nd, '11, 23:19

Got my order from Thunderbolt today and opened up the Sungbulli Clonal first flush. Very nice. Rich like a second flush with less floral flavours but still very much a first flush.

Jun 12th, '11, 12:57

by SlientSipper » Jun 12th, '11, 12:57

I am quite curious to try some new Darjeeling this summer.

Namely that white Darjeeling. I might also check out some other flushes to this season.

+ Post Reply