Weekend TeaDay 4/2-3/11 Your fave black tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Dedicated to Black tea after reading the Darjeeling FF discussion. What is your fave type of Black tea right now? Also share if it is seasonally influenced?

Chinese Keemun
6%
Chinese Yunnan
31%
Chinese other
13%
Indian Darjeeling
25%
Indian Assam
3%
Indian other
No votes
Ceylon
No votes
Taiwanese
9%
Nepalese
3%
Kenyan
No votes
Flavored
6%
Other
3%

Total votes: 32

Apr 3rd, '11, 02:31
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Weekend TeaDay 4/2-3/11 Your fave black tea?

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '11, 02:31

Yesterday's TeaDay becomes TeaWeekend.

Please continue to discuss the weekend's Black Tea topic.

As a BONUS QUESTION, do you have a Black Tea that you do NOT like, or even hate?

Apr 3rd, '11, 10:33

by artmom » Apr 3rd, '11, 10:33

Yum, yum! Last evening, I finally tried the Tieguanyin that I purchased from IPT a month or so ago. WOW! it will definitely be on my list of favorites. Smooth, with a lingering feel on the tongue, and just plain delicious!!! :D 8) The liquor was a lovely pale golden-green.

However, it was really funny to watch me opening it. It was packaged a bit differently than most of the teas I try and I blew out what I assume was the bottom of the bag and lost a few of the tightly rolled leaves to my dog!!!! :shock: I hope he enjoyed them!

Apr 3rd, '11, 11:05

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '11, 11:05

TD will begin shortly with Aoi asamushi from Tsuen via O-Cha! Cannot wait to try a new sencha.

In answer to the bonus question, I like most blacks, but have never had an Assam I liked at all, and I have earnestly tried quite a few. Maybe if I liked to add things to tea like milk?

A close second Yunnan blacks. Just never had a Yunnan black that appealed to me. Of course this goes against the voting in the poll. Good thing there are teas for every taste!

Still, I am open minded, and will hopefully one day find an Assam and a Yunnan that I like.

Apr 3rd, '11, 11:07

by solitude » Apr 3rd, '11, 11:07

artmom wrote:Yum, yum! Last evening, I finally tried the Tieguanyin that I purchased from IPT a month or so ago. WOW! it will definitely be on my list of favorites. Smooth, with a lingering feel on the tongue, and just plain delicious!!! :D 8) The liquor was a lovely pale golden-green.

However, it was really funny to watch me opening it. It was packaged a bit differently than most of the teas I try and I blew out what I assume was the bottom of the bag and lost a few of the tightly rolled leaves to my dog!!!! :shock: I hope he enjoyed them!
which grade you have?

Apr 3rd, '11, 14:26

by AdamMY » Apr 3rd, '11, 14:26

The Jin Jun Mei from the Mandarins Tea room was certainly an experience I may have actually preferred the 2nd grade than the first, but both were great. But a bit more on the affordable scale are Yixing Reds from MTR and Keemun from the Tea Gallery.

Just finished another session of Sencha Shoike-no-o from Ippodo, making it possibly the first tea in quite a while I have had 3 times in a row (as in no other teas between this tea). But that in part is due to me trying to get over a cold.

Apr 3rd, '11, 16:56

by nickE » Apr 3rd, '11, 16:56

My favorite is Yunnan. It's just a solid go-to black tea, usually nothing special. I like Keemun, too, but I haven't had many. I never really got into Darjeeling or Assam and I don't see myself trying many more, either.

I've been drinking some Autumn 2010 Bilochun grandpa style today for about 3 hours. It's great for getting work done.

Apr 3rd, '11, 18:16

by artmom » Apr 3rd, '11, 18:16

solitude wrote:
artmom wrote:Yum, yum! Last evening, I finally tried the Tieguanyin that I purchased from IPT a month or so ago. WOW! it will definitely be on my list of favorites. Smooth, with a lingering feel on the tongue, and just plain delicious!!! :D 8) The liquor was a lovely pale golden-green...

quote]

which grade you have?
Solitude, Premiere Quality Tie Guanyin. :D

Apr 3rd, '11, 20:59

by JRS22 » Apr 3rd, '11, 20:59

I began the day with puer and an ji bai cha, but ended it with Adagio Masala Chai (from a sample) in honor of black tea. Came out a bit weak but I believe that was my black tea beginner brewing technique.

Apr 3rd, '11, 22:32

by entropyembrace » Apr 3rd, '11, 22:32

I can´t decide between Yunnan hongcha and 2nd flush Darjeeling. :?

Apr 4th, '11, 05:31

by Nenugal » Apr 4th, '11, 05:31

Probably Yunnan golden / Dian Hong or Darjeeling... I'm generally not so into black/red tea anyway.

Apr 4th, '11, 09:36

by Chip » Apr 4th, '11, 09:36

Nice ROCK, Adam. Thanks for adding some color to our TD.

So, had the new Aoi asamushi from O-Cha yesterday with the Mrs. First attempt was very nice. Next up YM Diamond from Umami-Chaya, still trying to figure this one out.

Apr 5th, '11, 07:17

by Chasm » Apr 5th, '11, 07:17

There are a lot of black teas I don't like. Most Assams don't do much for me, and the famed "muscatel" note of Darjeelings I really don't like. And something as strong as a Russian Caravan makes my tastebuds flee and hide in a corner.

Bill Waddington at Teasource seems to be most expert with black teas, so by going to a whole lot of their sample days, I've tried an enormous variety of them. It's been an experience. The range of flavors that is possible has blown my mind.