Wednesday TeaDay 4/13/11 Would you rather have TravelTea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Would you rather ... on a trip take your "good teas" or go with the flow and drink whatever tea may be served. Please share.

BYOT all the way!
54%
I would prefer to bring my own, but not good stuff
21%
A toss up
13%
I would likely not bring my own
No votes
Definitely going with the flow, whatever tea happens to come my way
13%

Total votes: 24

Apr 13th, '11, 02:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 4/13/11 Would you rather have TravelTea?

by Chip » Apr 13th, '11, 02:13

Good TeaDay, good TeaFriends. Please share your TeaDay with us, share what is in your cups and discuss today's topic.

Yesterday we discussed mediocriTEA. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Would you rather ... on a trip take your "good teas" or go with the flow and drink whatever tea may be served. Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Apr 13th, '11, 07:04

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 4/13/11 Would you rather have TravelTea?

by karmaplace » Apr 13th, '11, 07:04

It depends on where I'm heading. If I'm heading to a place where I have easy access to good tea (say Japan or India or Vietnam), I may just go with the flow. Otherwise, I would definitely bring some of my own, and I'd bring the good stuff unless I was worried something may happen to it.

I started the day with tenkei tori matcha, and I have been drinking an assam at work (and I didn't overbrew it this time, hooray). :mrgreen:

Apr 13th, '11, 07:16

by brandon » Apr 13th, '11, 07:16

My last trip was to southern Spain. They have incredible water there! The apartment I rented was already stocked with a pretty nice electric kettle.

I limited myself to two teas - med. TGY and a cliff tea (don't remember which specifically.)

Packed some cups, a pitcher, and a decent Yixing that I got very cheaply in Chinatown (yeah, it happens sometimes.)

One or two of the cups got broken along the way, next time I will pack much thicker ones.

But, I am planning my next trip to be in Hong Kong and/or Taiwan. There doesn't seem much reason to carry tea there :D Probably even easier to pick up a very cheap gaiwan set if I really need to use it there, then to risk carrying one.

Apr 13th, '11, 10:20

by tortoise » Apr 13th, '11, 10:20

I voted for bring your own, though perfectly good reasons not to have already been stated. Most of my traveling these days takes place in Tea deserts, so there isn't any tea likely to be served.

I don't know why one wouldn't want to bring good tea with them, unless it's somehow super-sensitive. Leaving the nice teaware at home makes sense to me, though.

Had a pretty unimpressive experience with some Gao Shan Hung Shui this morning. I don't think I messed up the brewing enough that I couldn't tell where the tea is going, but I have obtained better instructions for how to do it next time...if there is a next time.

Apr 13th, '11, 10:34

by Nenugal » Apr 13th, '11, 10:34

I'll bring my own, but not my best stuff, because the brewing conditions may be sub-optimal.

Apr 13th, '11, 11:10

by LauraW » Apr 13th, '11, 11:10

For me it's a toss-up. Depends on where i'm going, for how long, etc. I tend to pack at least a little tea, though typically no teaware unless I know there will be nothing available in which to brew/consume. In which case I usually pack my ingenuitea since it's the most versatilr (and unbreakable).

Ceylon so far today, who knows what the afternoon will bring.

Apr 13th, '11, 15:49

by entropyembrace » Apr 13th, '11, 15:49

When I travel it´s been to Mexico where it´s very hard but not impossible to find good tea so I bring my own along with some teaware and share tea with my gf :)

On the other hand it´s very easy to get good coffee in Mexico since it´s a coffee producing country and I´ve been bringing some back! :mrgreen:

Apr 13th, '11, 16:13

by tortoise » Apr 13th, '11, 16:13

Having some teamasters roasted TGY. Fun stuff.

Apr 13th, '11, 16:25

by Chimpie » Apr 13th, '11, 16:25

I made the mistake of not taking my own once.... never again. When I go to the Far East I can always get great tea, but go West to the States and it is a bit hit and miss.

Apr 13th, '11, 18:43

by Chip » Apr 13th, '11, 18:43

Virtually any trip would include bringing tea along, good tea ... but not the best tea. Too many water issues, etc. to really take the best teas. And less finicky tea!

Began this TeaDay with Aoi asa from the O-C with the Mrs. Next up, YM from the U-C.

Apr 13th, '11, 19:04

by AdamMY » Apr 13th, '11, 19:04

Hosen Sencha in my Daisen Yaki Yunomi. Today, and I occasionally bring tea when I travel, but it mostly depends on where I am going, how much extra room I have, and if I will possibly have time to brew.

Apr 13th, '11, 20:24

by Chip » Apr 13th, '11, 20:24

Thanks Adam for coloring our TD, reminds me a a grizzly claw slash/swipe. :shock: I wonder if there was some intent by the artisan? Very cool nevertheless.

TD continued with a Li Shan from WTE a few years ago.

Apr 13th, '11, 21:27

by JRS22 » Apr 13th, '11, 21:27

I have a 10 day trip coming up soon. While the place we're staying at has a kitchen, I'm not packing equipment, so I'm just planning to bring tea suitable for "casual" brewing, like genmaicha.

Apr 13th, '11, 21:58

by jaderabbit » Apr 13th, '11, 21:58

I don't think I would bother traveling to place that doesn't have good tea for an extended period of time...not voluntarily anyway. :?

Apr 13th, '11, 22:30

by debunix » Apr 13th, '11, 22:30

I travel with tea: big thermos of tea for long drives, pulling off the freeway to pour a cup as needed; kettle and teapot or gaiwan and tea for longer trips; and I have stored a fairly comprehensive tea set at one location where I work a few days each month. On my last vacation, I didn't make tea every day, but I had it when I wanted it, and it was good stuff.

I don't take the tricky teas on trips, because tea time is generally not the focus, and I don't always have accurate enough temperature controls for senchas or the like. But I do take a nice oolong or two and maybe a puerhs, a small quantity appropriate for the trip, and then am very happy to have my greens when I get home.

Today was one of those 2nd site days, and so nice to be reunited with my Snowdrifts Hagi, so different in feel from the Rock. Lovely teaDay so far with Alishan High Mountain Beauty '09 oolong from norbu, and an old shu puerh from Wing Hop Fung.