Monday TeaDay 4/18/11 Tea replacing other beverages?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Inspired by Xell's comment, "Tea is now replacing everything." Has or is tea replacing other beverages, vices? Please share!

Abnsolutely YES
55%
I believe yes
23%
Maybe
10%
I do not think so
13%
Definitely NOT
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

Apr 18th, '11, 02:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 4/18/11 Tea replacing other beverages?

by Chip » Apr 18th, '11, 02:01

Once again welcome to a new TeaDay. Please stop in throughout the day and share what is in your cup ... and discuss the day's topic.

Over the weekend we discussed alcohol consumption. You can still vote and discuss the weekend's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Inspired by Xell's comment, "Tea is now replacing everything." Has or is tea replacing other beverages, vices? Please share!

We are all looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up!

Apr 18th, '11, 03:26

Re: Monday TeaDay 4/18/11 Tea replacing other beverages?

by entropyembrace » Apr 18th, '11, 03:26

I don´t think so...unless replacing the tisanes I called "tea" when I was a child counts :lol:

Apr 18th, '11, 03:58

by karmaplace » Apr 18th, '11, 03:58

I used to drink a lot of soda and fruit juices... I was never a big fan of water. Tea has now become my most consumed beverage and water is a close second. I also used to spend quite a lot of my money on clothes and shoes. Now I spend almost all my "free" money on tea and teaware, so, yes, definitely, tea is replacing everything. :lol:

Sakuraka matcha today followed by a black tea latte from a cafe close to work. Yum. :mrgreen:

Apr 18th, '11, 04:36

by Trey Winston » Apr 18th, '11, 04:36

Absolutely yes. I used to drink lots of soda, but when I started drinking tea, that consumption dropped to zero. Coincidence? I think not!

Planning a Silver Needle binge today.

Apr 18th, '11, 07:00

by David R. » Apr 18th, '11, 07:00

It really helped me stopping smoking.

Asatsuyu from Maruyama-en. Incredible.

Apr 18th, '11, 07:13
Vendor Member

by Xell » Apr 18th, '11, 07:13

At home i drink mostly tea now, sometimes water. Didn't have any sodas or alcohol in a very long time. But outside i do drink occasional can of cola, still prefer it to bottled green tea, unless i prepare it myself :)

Drinking leftovers from Ureshino sencha jo, most likely will have fresh shincha in about 2 weeks from Yame :D

Apr 18th, '11, 08:20

by tortoise » Apr 18th, '11, 08:20

As I've said, I'm still an occasional drinker, but my scotch and pipe/cigar budget has definitely been eroded by tea. I would be fine if tea and tea ware replaced it all actually. But that will be a natural process, unnoticeable to the naked eye. It seems to be well under way.

Cold brewed HF TGY this a.m.

Apr 18th, '11, 10:21

by kymidwife » Apr 18th, '11, 10:21

Tea definitely has reduced my consumption of all other beverages, particularly sodas. My coffee consumption is cyclic... sometimes none at all, and sometimes daily morning coffee, and this seems to be directly related to the tea season and what new/exciting teas I have on hand. Now, for example, I've been drinking coffee nearly every day. But I suspect that when my new First Flush Darjeelings and Shincha arrives, coffee will take a backseat for a few months.

I rarely drink anything but tea, to be honest. I find it rare to reach for anything else at any time of the day or night. Its just what I prefer in every occasion.

Sarah

Apr 18th, '11, 11:41

by Elovitz » Apr 18th, '11, 11:41

Way back when I was a kid I drank soda all the time. Then I just drank water for a couple of years and tea has become my everyday beverage of choice :)

Keemun today

Apr 18th, '11, 11:47

by Chip » Apr 18th, '11, 11:47

Elovitz wrote:Way back when I was a kid I drank soda all the time. Then I just drank water for a couple of years and tea has become my everyday beverage of choice :)
Let me see, I think tea pretty much replaced my consumption of ... water as well. :lol: Pretty serious about that actually. I remember at the time being on a water kick and drinking quite a bit.

Although I used to drink a bit more juice prior to drinking tea seriously, water was my primary beverage at the time. Before that I had my share of soda, etc. ... but I had pretty much eliminated most of the bad beverages already.

Began the TD with YM Diamond from Umami-Chaya with the Mrs

Apr 18th, '11, 13:38

by brlarson » Apr 18th, '11, 13:38

Tea replaced coffee for me. It also replaced sparkling water (poland spring, gerolsteiner, ...), but that was an economic decision so that I could spend more on tea.

I still drink juices every day and I haven't drunk soda in 35 years except for an occasional home-brewed root or birch beer.

Master Xu's Rou Gui was today's breakfast tea. Currently drinking Maiko's Maruyama with lunch. BTW, the Maruyama doesn't perform well in banko, but it is brilliant in the new Yoshiki kyusu.

Apr 18th, '11, 13:56

by hopeofdawn » Apr 18th, '11, 13:56

I used to drink lemonade almost every day, and soda at work. Then I started counting my calories, and decided I'd rather eat my calories than drink them! So I switched to water--then discovered tea, and since then have been almost exclusively a tea drinker. (Other than the occasional indulgence of soda and pizza ...)

Ironic thing is, where I work we get soda for free. So it would actually be cheaper for me to drink that instead of tea--esp the kind I buy now!

Apr 18th, '11, 18:37

by jaderabbit » Apr 18th, '11, 18:37

I drink plain water more than tea because I'm too lazy to brew usually. Sometimes I have chocolate milk instead. :p

But these days I do feel like I'd rather save up my money for tea and tea ware than new clothes, shoes and all that other girl stuff.

Apr 18th, '11, 19:16

by Proinsias » Apr 18th, '11, 19:16

It replaces a bit of everything, and not too much of anything.

No tea today. Helping out in my inlaws garden I was given an ice cold bottle of diet coke as a 'treat', finishing it with a smile felt more like a struggle.

Apr 18th, '11, 21:32

by laura99 » Apr 18th, '11, 21:32

Tea completely replaced coffee for me. Not that I hate coffee now, but I can only take so much caffeine in a day, so no room for anything else!

I was already not much of a soda drinker. Will have beer or wine in the evenings sometimes, but other than that, tea is the drink of choice for me.