Preferential steam of a new sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

The next new sencha you try, would you prefer it to be asamushi, chumushi, fukamushi, ultra fukamushi? As a bonus, have you ever tried Benifuki? Would you want to try it? 2 votes.

Asamushi/light steamed
32%
Chumushi/mid steamed
8%
Fukamushi/deep steamed
17%
Ultra fukamushi/ultra deep steamed
7%
Bonus, never tried it, but would!
23%
Bonus, never tried it, maybe would
8%
Bonus, never tried it and would not
1%
Bonus, tried it, but would retry it
1%
Bonus, tried it
1%
Bonus, other
1%

Total votes: 84

Apr 19th, '11, 22:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Preferential steam of a new sencha?

by Chip » Apr 19th, '11, 22:13

Here is an odd question (with an ulterior motive that is yet to be revealed).

PLEASE ALSO POST YOUR ANSWERS! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

The next new sencha you try, would you prefer it to be asamushi, chumushi, fukamushi, ultra fukamushi?

As a bonus, have you ever tried Benifuki? If not, would you want to try it?

Apr 19th, '11, 22:55

Re: Preferential steam of a new sencha?

by AdamMY » Apr 19th, '11, 22:55

Asamushi, and Bonus Other.

The other is because I have never really heard of it, so I really can not offer much of an opinion on it.

Apr 19th, '11, 22:58

by brlarson » Apr 19th, '11, 22:58

I probably subverted your intended use of two votes by choosing asamushi and chumushi :) Most of the sencha that I drink one of these two types.

Paradoxically, the next new sencha I will taste will be a fuka from Nichinan in Miyazaki prefecture called ``Sencha Organic Black Mountain''. This is one of two new teas that I just ordered from Wawaza.com, the other is a Kamairicha from Hinokage also in Miyazaki prefecture. I'll let you all know what I think after I've tasted them.

This will be my third year drinking Maiko's asamiya benefuki during hay fever season. It is very strange tasting tea but it grows on you, and it's powdered so it is easy to pack if you travel, but the main reason I drink it is it really suppresses my hay fever symptoms. There are many other varietals besides benefuki that have the potential to suppress allergy symptoms, but the only one I've tried that has worked is the benefuki from Maiko.

Apr 19th, '11, 23:24

by Chip » Apr 19th, '11, 23:24

Keep in mind, there are ulterior motives to the question, and thus your posts figure into this integrally! So please remember to post also! :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Apr 20th, '11, 00:21
Vendor Member

by Xell » Apr 20th, '11, 00:21

What is benifuki? Do i understand right, it's a special breed of tea tree or just processing method?

Apr 20th, '11, 00:36

by Chip » Apr 20th, '11, 00:36

Xell wrote:What is benifuki? Do i understand right, it's a special breed of tea tree or just processing method?
My understanding it is a varietal or breed. And in order to derive the healthful benefits, it must be processed as a green tea. As a green tea, it seems to be most commonly found in powder form similar to matcha, but it is more easily mixed with water.

Apr 20th, '11, 02:27

by Flonihoncha » Apr 20th, '11, 02:27

Hello,

Benifuki is a tea tree cultivar (so yes, a breed).
Originally it was created for making black tea. But it happen than at the end 60' japan almost stopped black tea production. But, the particularity of benifuki cultivar is contain a lot of methyl type catechin, whole most of cultivar contains of ethyl type catechin. Methyl type catechin is good for hay fever, so every spring, all the tea shops in japan sell benifuki.

Point is that it had to be process as green tea, because when you make black tea, catechin get oxyded, so disappear. But while benifuki is great for black Japanese tea (wa kocha), it's not so good for green tea (but the smell is interesting however).

Apr 20th, '11, 03:54

by debunix » Apr 20th, '11, 03:54

Asamushi, and yes, would be willing to try benifuki, but if it is as bitter as I suspect it might be based on various comments seen as I googled it, I might not be willing to keep it up.

Apr 20th, '11, 07:32

by Nenugal » Apr 20th, '11, 07:32

Asamushi, would be interested in trying it...

Apr 20th, '11, 09:18

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Apr 20th, '11, 09:18

I voted asamushi. I've been bored by fukumushi lately...I don't know why...
That being said, I would try benifuki.
Last edited by Buzz Fledderjohn on Apr 20th, '11, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 20th, '11, 10:19

by tortoise » Apr 20th, '11, 10:19

I ordered mostly asamushi, but I did get one fukamushi as well. Benifuki, hmmm. Sure, I'd try it. It's heavily touted as a hay fever allergy aid.

I'm not particularly interested in it, but I'd try it if there was little to no financial risk involved.

Apr 20th, '11, 13:17

by Stentor » Apr 20th, '11, 13:17

I voted Asamushi since a particular tea I was going to try next falls into this category. I do like all of them, though!

Never tried Benifuki, but would. I am always interested in how other teas taste.
Often trying a new tea involves buying at least 50 g of it which is the reason why I usually don't stray too far from what I know. I'd certainly like to be able to try more new stuff in sample quantities.

Apr 20th, '11, 13:40

by Dresden » Apr 20th, '11, 13:40

I like both asamushi and fukamushi. I selected fukamushi because it is what introduced me to sencha.

Mike

Apr 20th, '11, 14:07

by karmaplace » Apr 20th, '11, 14:07

I love love love asamushi. I ordered a fukamushi once (without realizing it), and it wasn't terrible, but I do greatly prefer asamushi. :mrgreen:

Initially I was going to say "other" for the benifuki, since I had no idea what it was, and then I read the posts and decided that while I would not be adventurous and buy a large amount to try, if it were offered to me to taste, I would.

Apr 20th, '11, 14:59

by entropyembrace » Apr 20th, '11, 14:59

Fukamushi...it´s definitely my preference for sencha since they tend to be less grassy and more soupy with lots of umami and sweetness :D

I´d like to try Benefuki to see if its really so good against allergies...

+ Post Reply