2011 Chinese shincha green teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 21st, '11, 06:20

2011 Chinese shincha green teas

by Oni » Apr 21st, '11, 06:20

There are a few new harvest chinese teas out there, I saw a list on teaspring, and Dragon teahouse just mentions the new harvest with the year number but does not advertise it.
I know that with Japanese greens there is this shincha hype, and they process their tea diffrently for maximum freshness, but this thing also applies to chinese greens, they must taste better now when they are as fresh as it gets.
Who has tried some famous chinese new harvest green teas, please write a review, how is this years harvest, I want to choose a few to buy, and I need to know which are the best, perhaps some An Ji Bai Cha, or Mei Ja Wu Long Jing, or Lu an Gua Pian, Zhu Ye Qing, etc..... Post reviews, pictures, like we do with shincha.

Apr 21st, '11, 12:51

Re: 2011 Chinese shincha green teas

by lkj23 » Apr 21st, '11, 12:51

Hello, I have bought this from the new harvest:
from teaspring:
Yang Yan Gou Qing
Meng Ding Gan
Wu Yi Qu Hao
Emperor Long Jing
this from amazing-green-tea:
Longjing Tea 2011 (AAA Grade)
Zhejiang Biluochun 2011 (AAA)
Mengding Ganlu 2011 (AAA)
Mengding Huangya 2010 (AAA)
This from younnansourcin:
Yunnan Pure Bud Bi Luo Chun
Sun-Dried Buds" Wild Pu-erh tea varietal -
Premium Mao Feng
Jade Pole Supreme Hand Crafted
from DTH
Supreme Kai Hua Long Ding

But I´m very new in this, I find myself unable to do a review, also my brews with green teas are very diferent from almost everyone : 5 - 10 minutes. I have to say I like all of this green teas, I only don´t like Sun-Dried Buds" Wild Pu-erh tea varietal that isn´t green tea, is very sweet and strange, I don´t like, I don´t know why I bought it, If anyone want to try it I can send a free sample I have 100gr and don´t want.

Apr 26th, '11, 20:54

by FlyedPiper » Apr 26th, '11, 20:54

I ordered some Maojian green tea from chineseteaculture.com that I think would be considered "shincha" a few weeks ago. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I will post my impressions if the thread doesn't get too old. :D

I have a feeling this will be a different deal from Japanese shincha due to the Loooooong shipping times from China. I'm guessing people that ordered first harvest teas may only now be starting to receive them in the mail. Should be interesting though, I hope others play along. I'm interested in Chinese greens too, especially the ones that aren't the big names (ie Dragonwell, etc.).

May 3rd, '11, 02:09

by Oni » May 3rd, '11, 02:09

I ordered from Dragon teahouse, Nonprail Mei Ja Wu Xi Hu Long Jing, Nonprail Zhu Ye Qing, Supreme Lu An Gua Pian.
300 grams of these using 3 g per session, or less if I use a small gaiwan, lasts at least a 100 session, or 150 with a small gaiwan, that is more than a month worth tea.

May 3rd, '11, 06:50

by lkj23 » May 3rd, '11, 06:50

I have too say Wu Yi Qu Hao don´t like anyway, long or short infusion...I don´t like it´s taste and JAde pole has surprised me, I like.

I´m going to do a big order from JTS now that his 2011 teas have arrived to try some of the most famous teas from china and the high grades of long jin you say Oni.

May 3rd, '11, 08:13

by a.serrao » May 3rd, '11, 08:13

lkj23 wrote:I have too say Wu Yi Qu Hao don´t like anyway, long or short infusion...I don´t like it´s taste and JAde pole has surprised me, I like.

I´m going to do a big order from JTS now that his 2011 teas have arrived to try some of the most famous teas from china and the high grades of long jin you say Oni.
How about customs in Spain?

May 3rd, '11, 09:01

by lkj23 » May 3rd, '11, 09:01

a.serrao wrote:
lkj23 wrote:I have too say Wu Yi Qu Hao don´t like anyway, long or short infusion...I don´t like it´s taste and JAde pole has surprised me, I like.

How about customs in Spain?
No restriction in tea, but I only have bought from China( if you ask it for Japan disaster)

Received the order from amazing-green-tea. Meng ding gan lun seems better that same from teaspring. This afternoon I try the teaspring again to compare, and I´ll try both long jing to compare too

May 3rd, '11, 12:20

by lkj23 » May 3rd, '11, 12:20

AAA grade long jing from amazing-green-tea seem better that from TS for me. But I only tried this 2.

Could anyone tell me if the strong roasted and toasty flavor (emperor long jing from TS) is normal in long jing? Thank you

May 3rd, '11, 18:14

by iannon » May 3rd, '11, 18:14

lkj23 wrote:AAA grade long jing from amazing-green-tea seem better that from TS for me. But I only tried this 2.

Could anyone tell me if the strong roasted and toasty flavor (emperor long jing from TS) is normal in long jing? Thank you
from my limited experience the more roasty toasty ones have always been the somewhat lower or mid grades of LJ. All the "higher" end ones i have personally had were much lighter and floral than the more nutty/roasty ones..but thats just my experiences.. Hows the one from Amazing-green-tea compare taste wise?

May 3rd, '11, 20:46

by woozl » May 3rd, '11, 20:46

Toasty aroma, flavor are normal.
The nice ones are complex,
with another layer of fruit/spice.

This year is tasty for Chinese green :mrgreen:

May 3rd, '11, 20:58

by iannon » May 3rd, '11, 20:58

woozl wrote:Toasty aroma, flavor are normal.

I guess i shoulda asked just *HOW* roasted it was? :lol:

May 3rd, '11, 21:09

by lkj23 » May 3rd, '11, 21:09

Thank you both!!.

iannonThe one from AGT is just you say for higher grades, is fruit-floral, light even long infusion and sweet. The one from TS is sweet too but a very strong toasty aroma, I don´t like this.

May 3rd, '11, 21:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 21:16

iannon wrote:
woozl wrote:Toasty aroma, flavor are normal.

I guess i shoulda asked just *HOW* roasted it was? :lol:
Yeah, expect lower grade ones to have more dominant roast to it, and therefore more nutty. The leaves will even look browner instead of a lovely greenish. Sometimes can even look like houjicha.

This covers up its lack of complexity.

Good LJ will exhibit floral, veggie, fruity ... lightness of being. :mrgreen:

TeaSpring Emperor LJ being toasty really surprises me. This is not characteristic of this selection in the past. Pictures please!

May 3rd, '11, 21:19

by iannon » May 3rd, '11, 21:19

lkj23 wrote:Thank you both!!.

iannonThe one from AGT is just you say for higher grades, is fruit-floral, light even long infusion and sweet. The one from TS is sweet too but a very strong toasty aroma, I don´t like this.
Cool..I have kind of had AGT on my radar for years but was always a bit leary of ordering from there due to lack on known-to-me reviewers here and elsewhere. Nice to know how it is. I may give them a try someday then

May 3rd, '11, 21:25

by lkj23 » May 3rd, '11, 21:25

Chip wrote:Yeah, expect lower grade ones to have more dominant roast to it, and therefore more nutty. The leaves will even look browner instead of a lovely greenish. Sometimes can even look like houjicha.

This covers up its lack of complexity.

Good LJ will exhibit floral, veggie, fruity ... lightness of being. :mrgreen:

TeaSpring Emperor LJ being toasty really surprises me. This is not characteristic of this selection in the past. Pictures please!
Going to take the picture and post

+ Post Reply