Apr 23rd, '11, 00:50
Vendor Member

Re: Wood Fired Ceramics by Bill Perrine (Split-Fire Pottery)

by IPT » Apr 23rd, '11, 00:50

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Awesome pieces Bill!!!!

Apr 23rd, '11, 15:03

by T-session » Apr 23rd, '11, 15:03

GREENWOODSTUDIO wrote:Looks great Bill :D What cone's down there in the front? We are firing next weekend and I'm so "stoked" :lol: Looking forward to the results in the rear. Hope to see you around soon (doing Pottery Fair this year?)
Thanks Shawn (hope I used the correct spelling!) The cone on the right is 12 and instead of half over temperature, I took it all the way over... knowing it would be 12 flat/13 at the bottom floor in front. I knew it would run the glazes/shinos more and soak the wads, but the color blends are worth the extra work to grind off the soaked wads. I have some unbelievable pieces in this firing!! Sorry, I don't mean to brag, it's just that they are soooo beautiful!!!! Good luck with your firing next weekend! I will be at Pottery Fair this year. Hope to see you there again.

Apr 23rd, '11, 15:14

by T-session » Apr 23rd, '11, 15:14

IPT wrote:OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Awesome pieces Bill!!!!
Hi Scott,
I mean ITP... do you like the pieces I made for you? Thats just the front... I haven't seen the back or better yet the sides (where all the good stuff is... in the transitition areas). I am going out shortly to take out more. Too hot to continue last night any further. And I was still tired from firing... went 15 hours this time and went to bed around midnight. Alot of concentrating for 15 hours straight and some visitors stopped up too. Ed Feldman (and his son) and Don Hull both local guys down here.

Got up at 4:20 a.m. to meet my sons for a fishing trip. Not enough sleep for an old man. Cracked open the kiln after we got back in the afternoon to start cooling. Quick nap. Took down the door bit by bit, and started taking out pieces after dinner. Stopped around 11:30 p.m.

I'll be back...

Apr 23rd, '11, 15:21

by T-session » Apr 23rd, '11, 15:21

Everything that touches something else, a post, a piece of pottery, a lid, a bagwall brick, a bagwall brick on a bagwall brick... you get the idea... all needs to be wadded so it can be ground off later in case there is a glaze run or an area that ash has touched and then melted ( ash sticks/glaze gets tacky around 2100*f and melts around 2280*f)

If you look at the bottom of these turquoise cups, you can see where the glaze has soaked the wad .... the wads will break first as they end up as hard as a dog biscut allowing you to remove and clean up/ grind the piece.

Extra work to grind this off, but makes the glaze have those streaks/blends that I'm so fond of. :D

Apr 23rd, '11, 16:04

by laura99 » Apr 23rd, '11, 16:04

Looking nice Bill! Planning on some tea cups for gifts for Mothers day this year so I will be keeping an eye on etsy :wink:

Apr 23rd, '11, 18:08

by JBaymore » Apr 23rd, '11, 18:08

Bill,

In case you have not discovered it..... I have been using diamond cutting disks for my 4 /12" body grinder and for my Dremel tool for a long while. They are WELL worth the cost. Then a slow speed wet grinder wheel that is similar to the ones used by cold glass workers for fine finishing and polishing.

People don't tend to realize all the work that wood firing adds into the equation.

Looks like a good fire. :)

best,

..........john

Apr 23rd, '11, 22:01

by T-session » Apr 23rd, '11, 22:01

Hey John,
Thanks for the advice. I use a masonary grinder disc on my 4 1/2" body grinder. I have small pointier grinders for the dremel to get in the corners, etc. I have not tried the diamond disc, but plan on trying it now, and the slow speed wet grinder for polishing is something I need to check out! Thank you. I use wet/dry abrasive papers by hand to try to get it more polished. A lot of work!! and it still doesn't get it that great. Smooth to the touch but not "clear", still semi-opaque if you know what I mean.
Wish I could be in the orient right now for the show/sale you mentioned on FB recently.
Great advice and thanks...
Bill

Apr 23rd, '11, 22:57
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 23rd, '11, 22:57

T-session wrote:
IPT wrote:OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Awesome pieces Bill!!!!
Hi Scott,
I mean ITP... do you like the pieces I made for you?
Sheesh Bill, that's a silly question! Of course!!!!! I'm a HUGE fan of your work. I am loving watching you excavate your kiln. It's like archaeology.

Apr 23rd, '11, 23:04

by bonjiri » Apr 23rd, '11, 23:04

bill

can't wait to see more photographs !

how many times a year do you fire ?

cheers

cory

Apr 28th, '11, 22:21

by T-session » Apr 28th, '11, 22:21

I have a fantastic teacup that I want to share with you. It is one of those landscape ones that I haven't done in a while. I think I'm getting to know my glazes better.... :wink:

Sun is peeking out from behind those clouds...

I think it even has a waterfall!

mmmm... it's a goodun'

Apr 28th, '11, 22:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 28th, '11, 22:29

Awesome cup, Bill! Just beautiful glaze.

Apr 29th, '11, 00:37
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 29th, '11, 00:37

Oh Bill! That's spectacular!

Apr 29th, '11, 02:41

by Nenugal » Apr 29th, '11, 02:41

Really beautiful!

Apr 29th, '11, 12:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Apr 29th, '11, 12:03

Your work has been incredible lately!

Apr 29th, '11, 19:46

by T-session » Apr 29th, '11, 19:46

Thank you for all the kind words!

But I want to show you the most beautiful teacup I have made to date! It's turquoise and has this halo of red around a clear center with a shower of snowflake ash crystals suspended in the layers of clear glaze. It's stunning!!
The pictures don't do it true justice. You can't see the depth of the glaze or the subtlety of colors. It is just unbelievable in your hand.

I have learned that these gems only come by once in a while. This is one that I would want to submit, for example: Lark's Cups Book, or as a portfolio piece for a show or catolouge, or a juried show winner... It is NFS (not for sale) There is a very nice similar one to this one on etsy, but it isn't in the same league.

And another nice flare lip teacup I'll be listing shortly...

and a small turquoise t-pot...

It was a great firing, I have more teaware to list on etsy, and a lot of other things like larger t-pots, mugs, casseroles, etc... Click on this link if your interested. I'm listing everyday (that it isn't storming... we have satellite internet out here in the country!)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/splitfirepottery

+ Post Reply