Apr 18th, '11, 00:33

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by Tead Off » Apr 18th, '11, 00:33

This is the master of 'Galaxy glaze', Tetsuaki Nakao. This guy is extraordinary.
Tetsuaki Nakao.jpg
Tetsuaki Nakao.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

Apr 18th, '11, 01:00

by iannon » Apr 18th, '11, 01:00

Yes..ive been watching his Yunomi for a while..just keeps getting a bit too high for me right now :mrgreen:

Apr 18th, '11, 06:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Apr 18th, '11, 06:59

kent wrote:this is my new Cha He I bought just a day before the Hagi at the same Tea House :)
Very beautiful!

And I'm glad you posted a picture... I was not aware of a pottery-related meaning for "he" and that is not the first meaning that popped into mind.... :lol:

Apr 18th, '11, 14:21

by kent » Apr 18th, '11, 14:21

lol

I was searching for the name of this things for a longer time, but besides "presentation vessel", the chinese word for it seems to be "Cha He", even when only a few are using it. Don't know if it's the right / exactly word for it... I don't speek chinese, even when I'm visiting China in 3 weeks :D

Hope I will understand a few words. I'll try to buy a few Yixings when I see them.

That's why I don't have much time to show the rest of my tea ware. I have much to do for the trip - I didn't even had a german passport (just my american one, and I dunno if this would confuse someone in china) but now I got it. And the tickets. All I have to do is finding a chinese embassy in the near to get a visa and then it's Shanghai time!

By the way, does anyone know of a nice teahouse in Shanghai? ;)

I finally want a blue yixing teapot! :P

By the way, did you make your avatar by yourself? It's nice. :)

Apr 18th, '11, 14:57

by wyardley » Apr 18th, '11, 14:57

kent wrote: I was searching for the name of this things for a longer time, but besides "presentation vessel", the chinese word for it seems to be "Cha He", even when only a few are using it. Don't know if it's the right / exactly word for it... I don't speek chinese, even when I'm visiting China in 3 weeks :D
Yeah, I think the most common name is hé (荷) as in lotus (btw, not pronounced as in English), kind of a fanciful reference to a lotus blossom, I think.

See also
http://chadao.blogspot.com/2007/06/shop ... cs-of.html

Babelcarp suggests this character instead:
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.cgi?phrase=cha+he
I have also seen the slightly more practical seeming hé (盒) as in box. Exactly the same phonetic sound. I think this could also be considered correct, but could also refer to a gift box box of tea.

If you do google image searches for 茶荷 vs 茶盒, you'll see what I mean.
kent wrote: By the way, does anyone know of a nice teahouse in Shanghai? ;)
You want a teahouse to drink tea, or somewhere to buy tea? There are some famous old teahouses you can visit in the touristy area, but I would visit them more for the ambience than for drinking (or buying) tea. If you want to buy tea, I would check out the wholesale tea malls like Tianshan Tea City (天山茶城) on Zhongshan Lu (Road) - address in Chinese should be 上海中山西路520号 if you want to print it out. Not too far from a subway stop (there's one or two other tea shopping areas like this - maybe someone else can chime in with the name / location). You could check out Youtang 宥堂 in stall #3335 - bought a few things from them online recently, though they are definitely not cheap. These are the kind of places where you could spend days or weeks, so allocate time for a few separate trips if you've got the time.

There may be another tea city called Wuyi Tea City (same as in Wuyishan) - 武夷茶城. I don't know how big it is, but the address is 上海玉屏南路3-7号. bears3x is in China now, so he may have an update on tea shopping in Shanghai and Beijing soon.

It is easy to find some pretty good stuff for not a lot of money here, and most places will bargain. However, finding exceptional stuff may take some digging, patience, and relationship building. There are a number of puer shops, including the Hai Lang Hao shop, there are a couple Wuyi yancha shops (2 good ones on the second floor, I think, including Qi Ming Cha Ye (琪明茶叶; can't find the stall number), though it's been a few years since I was in Tianshan), some good teapot and porcelain shops.

For the most part, stay clear of the tea shops in touristy areas.
Last edited by wyardley on Apr 18th, '11, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 18th, '11, 15:12

by Drax » Apr 18th, '11, 15:12

wyardley wrote:Yeah, I think the most common name is hé (荷) as in lotus (btw, not pronounced as in English), kind of a fanciful reference to a lotus blossom, I think.
Tea Lotus is much prettier than what it could be in Japanese... which would be 屁.

I'll leave it at that. Look it up if you dare (granted, 瓮 is also "he," which refers to ancient vessel).

As for my avatar, that comes from お茶犬 (ocha ken, or "tea dog")... :D

Apr 18th, '11, 16:02

by kent » Apr 18th, '11, 16:02

LOL @ Ochaken

I just saw the first episode on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9f3WC_P ... re=related

Very cute. It reminds me somehow of TaoTao, an old japanese kids show :)

@wyardley

hm, well, I think first of all I will drink tea. I don't know if I'll buy much tea in Shanghai (I will, but teaware comes first :D )

As of Zhongshan road, I think I print out your post, otherwise I won't be able to remember all of this. Thank you very much for the information!
And I will stay a whole month - if everything's working out just fine, I'm going on a trip from Shanghai to Taiwan, then to the chinese wall and back. Somehow I need to get the biggest card for my camera as possible, because I will take photos like a maniac LOL

*edit*

yeay me, I can post direct links!

Apr 22nd, '11, 00:00

by Tead Off » Apr 22nd, '11, 00:00

A new acquisition from Hong Seong-il. 125ml onggi clay teapot with shino and wood ash.
Faceted onggi teapot.jpg
Faceted onggi teapot.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Faceted onggi teapot c.jpg
Faceted onggi teapot c.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Faceted onggi teapot d.jpg
Faceted onggi teapot d.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Apr 22nd, '11, 00:29

by wyardley » Apr 22nd, '11, 00:29

kent wrote: As of Zhongshan road, I think I print out your post, otherwise I won't be able to remember all of this. Thank you very much for the information!
And I will stay a whole month - if everything's working out just fine, I'm going on a trip from Shanghai to Taiwan, then to the chinese wall and back.
Someone on egullet, who's just come back from Shanghai mentions another (new) tea market:
http://egullet.org/p1807553

Some great stuff to check out in Taiwan also as far as tea and teaware. If you'll be in Taipei, Wistaria has some nice porcelain / ceramics, and is also a very pleasant place to spend time and enjoy some tea (回留素食餐廳 on Yongkang St (永康街31巷9號) is another teahouse / restaurant (vegetarian) type place which does have some good tea, and in any event, is a pleasant place to spend a few hours). Another small and interesting place on Yongkang St has some great tea mats, bamboo tea tools, and other teaware (the boss seems less disposed to sell much in the way of the great tea, tea caddys, and teapots which are all around the place) - Hou De used to sell their porcelain cups. Maybe someone else remembers the name. And, if you're interested in porcelain and teaware, spend some time in Yingge, fairly close to Taipei.

Apr 23rd, '11, 10:46

by Alucard » Apr 23rd, '11, 10:46

Wow, all of you have really nice looking pieces and Chip has enough to serve tea to an army. :lol:

here is my newest addition
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (28.43 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
And his friends
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
The tea closet
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 1467 times

Apr 23rd, '11, 11:17

by debunix » Apr 23rd, '11, 11:17

What a lovely addition to your collection!

Apr 23rd, '11, 11:26
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 23rd, '11, 11:26

Another Beautiful Seong-il piece Tead off! Very nice!

Apr 23rd, '11, 16:55

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '11, 16:55

Awesome new pieces! Enjoy!

Something coming my way from Korea via TeaMerchandiser from TC TA Seong-il through Tead Off at a great introductory price!. Check out the new topic here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15515

Apr 23rd, '11, 18:42

by debunix » Apr 23rd, '11, 18:42

Wow. Just gorgeous.

Apr 23rd, '11, 22:33

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '11, 22:33

debunix wrote:Wow. Just gorgeous.
... yezzzzz, dare I say, my precious ... :mrgreen: I really wanted to add the one green pitcher, but looks like a new computer purchase may interupt that. :cry: