O.T. Please read if you use Skype

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Apr 23rd, '11, 23:48

O.T. Please read if you use Skype

by togei » Apr 23rd, '11, 23:48

This has nothing to do with tea but I would like to post it here to hopefully save someone from having money stolen from them like I had recently.
The only point I am posting the following is for the warning on passwords. I sent this pasted message to a group I participate in centered on clay so that will explain some of the beginning.

Begin paste.

This has nothing to do with clay but it might help someone.
I woke up this morning to find 2 notices each from Skype and Paypal telling me my automatic re-charge had been triggered for my Skype account. I logged into Skype and found someone had gained access to my account and used it to make a series of calls to Vietnam, using 3,000 yen in the process. I don't know how the breach occurred but I did have an English word for a password. A blunt force attack could figure it out if Skype doesn't have a limit to login attempts.
I was told by Skype it is my fault. Checking further it is a somewhat common hack and there are hundreds of people out there talking about getting similar amounts stolen from their accounts.
I suggest, at a minimum, turning off automatic re-charge on Skype. They won't refund your money even though they must be aware they have some serious security flaws. The other obvious thing to do, which I have, is a better password. I use Password Safe. It is free and I think it uses Blowfish and Triple DES for encryption.
Dave

Apr 24th, '11, 09:45

Re: O.T. Please read if you use Skype

by JBaymore » Apr 24th, '11, 09:45

Thanks for the warning, Dave. Sorry to have you have to PAY to be able to share it though.

Net security is a real problem. As the big computer "gurus" start wanting us to store all of our private information on "The Cloud" ....they'd better solve the security thing ... or the idea is a non-starter.

I'd rather take my risks on a couple of backed up hard drives, one that is not connected to an online machine, stored in a room in my house.

best,

.................john

Apr 24th, '11, 15:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 24th, '11, 15:23

Bummer togei.

Related, sort of.

My PC recently picked up a virus from a site I checked out on TC ... back then I checked every first time poster's site if they listed one or linked one.

I immediately got a seemingly authentic virus scan that turned up 34 serious problems in around 60 seconds, fortunately I knew this was not the real deal, but it was quite crafty as it used Windows security sheild notifications, etc. It looked quite real. And it likely gets many people to in a panic act immediately.

Turns out it is Vista Home Security 2011 virus. Basically it is set up to try and get you to take the bait in a panic mode and buy the fix. And if you do, they have your CC info and who knows what else since you have to register to their psuedo Vista security.

I could easily have taken the bait, but I had enough of a feeling that it was not "right."

This was several weeks ago, and I thought I had purged my PC of the affected files. But it just turned up again 2 days ago. :evil:

Apr 24th, '11, 20:46

by togei » Apr 24th, '11, 20:46

Ohh, scary.
Microsoft has Microsoft Safety Scanner, http://www.microsoft.com/security/scann ... fault.aspx
It is new and is one more step along their path to make security built-in. It is free too.
Dave

Apr 25th, '11, 23:31

by JBaymore » Apr 25th, '11, 23:31

Chip,

That virus has been around a while. It went under the name "Advanced Virus Remover" for a while. Might have morphed by now. The guys who are writing it follow all the tek guru and virus sites online that post information how to defeat it... and then new versions pop up that the published fixes don't work on anymore. Every time there is a fix.... the hackers plug it.

It is a BEAR to get rid of. It hides multiple copies of itself in many places. You are going to need to do serious registry work to actually get rid of it. It will keep coming back. Some versions of it have a data logger that transmits keystrokes back to the originator. Some versions eventually lock you out of your own computer. As it insinuates itself on the machine, eventuially it disables your ability of start Task manager. It is a "smart" part that can trace your effortsd online to find help to remove it... and it disables links you are following to sites on the net.

I spent 24 hours straight fighting it on another machine as it tried to outmanuver my efforts. Eventually got it. But it was awful.

If it keeps popping up.... maybe get some professional help.

best,

.................john

Apr 25th, '11, 23:46

by Chip » Apr 25th, '11, 23:46

Yes, this has a steep learning curve, and it shut me out of my abilty to get into my anti virus protection program, etc. Here it had been preventing automatic anti virus updates, so it had been easing its way back in after I slammed it in its last attempt several weeks ago.

Thanks for the info.

Apr 26th, '11, 09:18

by JBaymore » Apr 26th, '11, 09:18

Chip.

That sounds all too familiar. Sounds like that particular virus.

Good luck.

I had to use another machine to get onto the web to research fixes and then do the stuff on the infected machine. And a coupe of fresh (expendable) usb keys to transfer stuff. Once they went into the infected machine once from the good machine ... they got tossed.

best,

................john

Apr 26th, '11, 14:41

by entropyembrace » Apr 26th, '11, 14:41

I had the same virus a couple of months ago...the main thing to do is stop using windows in normal mode! It can easily take over your computer if you leave it running normally and you´ll have to reformat to wipe your HD clean.

Restart your computer and press F8 to bring up a menu that lets you start Safe Mode With Networking. Now you´ll be able to use your anti-virus tools, search for information and download new tools without the virus interfering with what you are doing.

I used these three programs to finally clean the infection entirely

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/so ... =208280684

Just make sure you´re in safe mode....it´s VERY IMPORTANT because this virus does attack anti-virus software and redirects your web browsing away from useful sites to pages that download more crap onto your PC.

Apr 26th, '11, 17:05

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 17:05

Already using Safe Mode. Thanks for the links. :mrgreen:

Apr 27th, '11, 05:51

by skilfautdire » Apr 27th, '11, 05:51

Virus scanners ? What are these ?? Haven't run that a single time in 12+ years.

Oh, forgot to say, I'm not using Windows. :D

Apr 27th, '11, 17:06

by entropyembrace » Apr 27th, '11, 17:06

skilfautdire wrote:Virus scanners ? What are these ?? Haven't run that a single time in 12+ years.

Oh, forgot to say, I'm not using Windows. :D
Maybe you should (scan that is)

http://www.macforensicslab.com/Products ... cts_id=174
All successful, and most plausible, malware attacks on Mac OS X have occurred in the last 2 years with the last quarter of 2007 being particularly prolific. Market penetration and overall sales of the Mac OS X system have directly mirrored development of malware, a phenomenon also demonstrated with other operating systems such as Microsoft Windows. Based on this data there is no reason to believe the trend will not continue as Apple continues to increase their market share.
"Most Mac users take security too lightly. In fact, most are quite proud of the fact that they don't run any security at all," Christiansen said. "That's an open door; at some point it will be exploited."
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/31/ ... ng.target/
“Apple users, your days of worry-free web surfing could be numbers. A Mac internet security and privacy software maker has discovered what is believed to be the first professionally crafted in-the-wild malware targeting the Mac Operating system.”
http://www.scmagazineus.com/Trojan-targ ... 1001&gclid

Apr 27th, '11, 20:28

by skilfautdire » Apr 27th, '11, 20:28

entropyembrace wrote: Maybe you should (scan that is)
Plot thickens. I'm not using a MacApple (god forbid ! :) )
Last edited by skilfautdire on Apr 27th, '11, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 27th, '11, 20:29

by JBaymore » Apr 27th, '11, 20:29

skilfautdire wrote:
entropyembrace wrote: Maybe you should (scan that is)
Plot thickens. I'm not using a Mac (god forbid ! :)

Linux?

Apr 27th, '11, 20:32

by skilfautdire » Apr 27th, '11, 20:32

JBaymore wrote:
skilfautdire wrote: Linux?
Yep. Since about 11 years now. Both at home and as a profession. Brings bread to home. Viva Linux. Kids have Windows machines for games, everything else is Linux.

+ Post Reply