Thursday TeaDay 4/28/11 Shared TeaDay?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Simple question, how often do you share your tea (brewed)? Please share, your tea and your response.

100% of the time
3%
90%
7%
80%
3%
70%
3%
60%
No votes
50%
10%
40%
7%
30%
13%
20%
10%
10%
37%
0%
7%

Total votes: 30

Apr 28th, '11, 01:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 4/28/11 Shared TeaDay?

by Chip » Apr 28th, '11, 01:33

Greetings TeaFriends and welcome to a new TeaDay, again! Please stop in to TeaDay and share what is in your cup with us.

We discussed what percentage of teas would you score a perfect 10? Of course in 2011. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Simple question, how often do you share your tea (brewed)? Please share, your tea and your response. :mrgreen:

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Apr 28th, '11, 02:53

Re: Thursday TeaDay 4/28/11 Shared TeaDay?

by artmom » Apr 28th, '11, 02:53

10% -- Granddaughters only ones to drink tea with me. Now, Samantha is in Japan. Fourteen year old Alex doesn't come over as much now as when she was younger, but she does have tea w/me when she comes. Usually Mariage Freres Marco Polo, or Black Currant Tea. She likes it strong w/milk and a ton of sugar! :lol:

I'd love to share it with others; however, around here "tea" is iced tea -- sweet. :roll:

Apr 28th, '11, 02:53

by karmaplace » Apr 28th, '11, 02:53

If my boyfriend's around, I always try to share my tea, but he got a part-time job a couple weeks ago so he's been around less often. So, I'd say about 40%, maybe less. :)

I started the day with iced mugicha (called "boricha" in Korean), had two bottles of royal milk tea (made with Ceylon), and I'll be switching back to the mugicha for my class. It seems to be starting out as a pretty decent TeaDay. :mrgreen:

Apr 28th, '11, 02:54

by Chimpie » Apr 28th, '11, 02:54

:( Never share tea, most folks in the UK think that PG Tips is the way and look at you with amusement if you have a loose leaf..... So I just have mine for me and feel sorry for them!! :lol:

Apr 28th, '11, 06:36

by JRS22 » Apr 28th, '11, 06:36

I have very few takers for my tea. When my sister and brother are here they're usually happy to share some jasmine pearls. My sister is more adventurous and is now drinking genmaicha green at home after trying it here. Even she didn't appreciate my wonderful sencha otsuusan which is probably just as well. I'm not sure she has the temperament to fine tune tea brewing.

On the other hand, my resident coffee drinker appreciates puerh, and has tried all the OTTI puerhs with me.

I finally bought an Ipod touch and it'll arrive today. I'm in the market for an app to maintain inventory, brewing and tasting notes.

Apr 28th, '11, 06:46

by Jack_teachat » Apr 28th, '11, 06:46

Hi,

Feels good to be back after quite an absence! Always amazes me to see so many new members every time I come back to this forum! :D

I used to have people over for tea alot but it has declined over the past year as friends etc. have moved away :(
Chimpie wrote::( Never share tea, most folks in the UK think that PG Tips is the way and look at you with amusement if you have a loose leaf..... So I just have mine for me and feel sorry for them!! :lol:
Hi Chimpie,

Good to see some other UK members! I find that if you have guests over make them some PG tips or whatever as usual but also make some better tea as well. Naturally offer them some (more often or not they will say yes) and I gurantee you'll be very surprised with the results!

Cooked Menghai Pu-erh, 2006 I think? Gongfu style this morning

Jack :D

Apr 28th, '11, 07:20
Vendor Member

by Xell » Apr 28th, '11, 07:20

Sometimes i share with my wife, but usually she doesn't really like what i prepare, too weak for her. And also she doesn't like gyokuro. Hope that after i drink green tea for some years our taste will match more than now :)

Apr 28th, '11, 07:41

by Chimpie » Apr 28th, '11, 07:41

Jack_teachat wrote:Hi,

Feels good to be back after quite an absence! Always amazes me to see so many new members every time I come back to this forum! :D

I used to have people over for tea alot but it has declined over the past year as friends etc. have moved away :(
Chimpie wrote::( Never share tea, most folks in the UK think that PG Tips is the way and look at you with amusement if you have a loose leaf..... So I just have mine for me and feel sorry for them!! :lol:
Hi Chimpie,

Good to see some other UK members! I find that if you have guests over make them some PG tips or whatever as usual but also make some better tea as well. Naturally offer them some (more often or not they will say yes) and I gurantee you'll be very surprised with the results!

Cooked Menghai Pu-erh, 2006 I think? Gongfu style this morning

Jack :D

Trust me I've tried, most people smile and humour me, I live in the wilds of Suffolk so they get a bit strange with new stuff and if it isn't available in Tescos a lot don't know that it exists.... I once told someone I was a Buddhist and Veggie you should see the looks I got....
So now the easiest way is to not bother, I pop into London for supplies and Tea Houses I'm happy with that :)

Apr 28th, '11, 10:38

by tortoise » Apr 28th, '11, 10:38

I voted 80%. I drink tea with my wife usually. She is always game for trying whatever I make. I don't think she would do it if I weren't around, but it's nice to have a tea-pal.

We also have a couple friends who come over individually for long tea sessions and energetic talking/hanging-out.

And, oh, when my mother-in-law is in town there is lots of tea drinking going on. She is the one, 15-16 years ago, who introduced me to loose-leaf tea while I was still a pup. Artmom, it was more than likely Mariage Freres' Marco Polo.

I had a very nice session by myself this early morning with winter 2010 Li Shan from floating leaves.

Apr 28th, '11, 10:41

by hopeofdawn » Apr 28th, '11, 10:41

No one else in my family really drinks tea, so I drink alone more often than not, so only about 20% for me. The only communal tea drinking happens when I have friends over or go on our monthly teahouse outing--both of which are a lot of fun.

Started out the day with two bowls of O-cha Uji organic matcha before running off for the bus--am now happily sipping Xiu Xian's Sweet Jade oolong. :)

Apr 28th, '11, 10:51

by tortoise » Apr 28th, '11, 10:51

Chimpie wrote: Trust me I've tried, most people smile and humour me, I live in the wilds of Suffolk so they get a bit strange with new stuff and if it isn't available in Tescos a lot don't know that it exists.... I once told someone I was a Buddhist and Veggie you should see the looks I got....
So now the easiest way is to not bother, I pop into London for supplies and Tea Houses I'm happy with that :)
I can definitely relate to that, living in a particularly vacuous part of the U.S. deep South. I understand that people don't encounter tea stuff that often here, particularly the Eastern varieties. I don't understand, however, why people are so completely alienated by it. Is it possible to be curious about something else other than coffee or iced tea? Or do you have to frown and communicate not-so-subtly that you think this person who's into tea is a complete weirdo?

Obviously, there are exceptions.

Apr 28th, '11, 11:12

by debunix » Apr 28th, '11, 11:12

On work days, I brew 2-4 times daily. I nearly always share a good part of at least the midday brewing, for an afternoon clinic where there are 5-10 different people using a shared workroom. 2 of them nearly always have some tea, another 3 or 4 will have some once in a while. And if I have time for a relaxed session with green tea in the morning, I nearly always find a few people interested in a cuppa when I take a pitcher around. It's not like sharing a gongfu session start to finish, but it is quite satisfying to share the enjoyment of what I brew up.

Starting the teaDay with Den's Shin-ryoku sencha, enjoyed solo.

Apr 28th, '11, 11:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 28th, '11, 11:14

tortoise wrote:
Chimpie wrote: Trust me I've tried, most people smile and humour me, I live in the wilds of Suffolk so they get a bit strange with new stuff and if it isn't available in Tescos a lot don't know that it exists.... I once told someone I was a Buddhist and Veggie you should see the looks I got....
I can definitely relate to that, living in a particularly vacuous part of the U.S. deep South. I understand that people don't encounter tea stuff that often here, particularly the Eastern varieties. I don't understand, however, why people are so completely alienated by it. Is it possible to be curious about something else other than coffee or iced tea? Or do you have to frown and communicate not-so-subtly that you think this person who's into tea is a complete weirdo?

Obviously, there are exceptions.
This is interesting given the Creole/Cajun locals, a lot of blending of cultures. I would have thought they would say "tea, why not." :mrgreen:

Apr 28th, '11, 11:23

by tortoise » Apr 28th, '11, 11:23

Chip wrote: This is interesting given the Creole/Cajun locals, a lot of blending of cultures. I would have thought they would say "tea, why not." :mrgreen:
Creole/Cajun land is a bit further South from me, but that's all homogenized now into one "good ol'boy" culture. And no, my tea drinking habits would be highly suspect. Probably makes me a communist. A sympathizer at the very least. (I'm generalizing for humor)

Apr 28th, '11, 11:45

by Elovitz » Apr 28th, '11, 11:45

90% of the time. When the boyfriend is around I always offer/he'll ask for some. Half the time he'll complain about the "bitterness" since he prefers milk and sugar, but knows better than to taint my tea with those. :twisted: