Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby the_skua » Mar 4th, '11, 13:54

Chip wrote:
brandon wrote:
Chip wrote:Now at 7 steeps, the storage aromas of the first few steeps have long dissappeared, so too the mild bitterness. And now settling into a nice session on day 2.

Nada's Bulang gets pretty incredible after 3 or 4 steeps.
the_skua

Postby TwoPynts » Mar 16th, '11, 10:36

Wonderful to read back through all of the comments so far. I've been away from tea and teachat for a little while but hope to try my last sample soon, and then all 3 in one sitting.
TwoPynts

Postby argus » Mar 21st, '11, 13:53

After thoroughly tasting all three samples I really enjoyed the malaysian dry stored brick. Loved the woodiness in it combined with some of that young sheng bite and long staying power.

Didn't really care for the 8582, it was simply too "damp basement"-y for me and really spicy.

The Bulang was really good and enjoyable but the wet storing was a bit overpowering in the first few infusions.

If I was offered one of those three cakes I'd definitely jump on the dry stored brick.

I'm very grateful to everyone that contributed to this OTTI, it gave me a huge insight into what old(ish) pu-er tastes like and I can now appreciate my shu cakes and know what they're trying to emulate.

Here's hoping the next OTTI would also be a huge learning experience that made me enjoy my tea in so many more new ways.
argus

Postby teaisme » Apr 18th, '11, 16:25

Wow thanks guys for making this possible
I've only tried one (dry #3) and it was great. Brewed 6-7 infusions this very early morning in 100ml pot. Will finish it off when I get off work today.

I recount at least 4-5 times I stopped and thought to myself "this is beautiful".

What a spectacular way to step into puerh. Thank you Thank you Thank you, you have made a pu drinker out of me.
teaisme

Postby teaisme » Apr 28th, '11, 17:03

#1 a couple days ago
hum...I can see the appeal but this one is not for me, the musty/dampness flavour kind of puts me off. I still drank around 8-9 infusions until it was pretty much spent, did not attempt to brew for a day or two, longest infusion was around 4 hrs?

It seems like dry is the way I will go, but I will air out the #2 for a few days (or until I deem the wet smell is toned down enough) to see if the wet can be toned down/eliminated

So I was wondering...can you air out a wet until it tastes like a dry, or is it more or less a permanent taste that will not go away?

What the heck is going on...reading the past posts it seems like the musty/damp taste dissipated on #1 after a few infusions for most ppl. It stuck with me until the very end, poking and distracting me from everything else going on with this tea :?
teaisme

Postby wyardley » Apr 28th, '11, 19:43

churng wrote:#1 a couple days ago
hum...I can see the appeal but this one is not for me, the musty/dampness flavour kind of puts me off. I still drank around 8-9 infusions until it was pretty much spent, did not attempt to brew for a day or two, longest infusion was around 4 hrs?
[...]
So I was wondering...can you air out a wet until it tastes like a dry, or is it more or less a permanent taste that will not go away?

It will not "taste like a dry", but a lot of the storage taste will go away - the tea will be darker and smoother than a comparable so-called "dry-stored" tea from the same time period.

You can break up the cake, brush off some of the visible mold, and put it in a cookie tin or earthenware jar, which will help. Airing it for a few weeks in the open air before brewing may also help some (this is a good idea with any puer if you have the time / foresight).

Just FWIW, I don't consider the 8582 to be a "ready to drink" tea... think of it as a stop on the way rather than as the end result.
wyardley

Postby teaisme » Apr 29th, '11, 14:47

ok thanks I will put #2 in an unused teapot with the lid off for awhile and check on it every day or two.

wyardley wrote:ust FWIW, I don't consider the 8582 to be a "ready to drink" tea... think of it as a stop on the way rather than as the end result.

good to know thanks
Do you have the same sample from the otti? I imagine that 2 cakes of 8582 from same year may age at different speeds. So are you saying that most 8582 of that year is not ready yet, or that just the sample I have? I am assuming you mean most since wet is suppose to age faster then dry yeah
teaisme

Postby TIM » Apr 29th, '11, 15:13

churng wrote:ok thanks I will put #2 in an unused teapot with the lid off for awhile and check on it every day or two.

wyardley wrote:ust FWIW, I don't consider the 8582 to be a "ready to drink" tea... think of it as a stop on the way rather than as the end result.

good to know thanks
Do you have the same sample from the otti? I imagine that 2 cakes of 8582 from same year may age at different speeds. So are you saying that most 8582 of that year is not ready yet, or that just the sample I have? I am assuming you mean most since wet is suppose to age faster then dry yeah

Menghai 8582 before 2000(not the dayi wrapper), needs at least 15 years before going to the first mature stage, and there are 3 stages all together.
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby teaisme » May 2nd, '11, 14:57

ok got it thanks!
teaisme

Postby teaisme » May 5th, '11, 17:52

I tried the rest of my sample of #1 (about 1.7g in a bigger porcelain pot 240mlish and broke it into two infusions, first was about 3 mins, secound was about 15

I actually preferred this a lot more then when I brewed 5 g in 100ml pot and wouldn't mind drinking something like that everyday. Delicious.
teaisme

Postby teaisme » Jul 9th, '11, 14:27

broke into the 8582 after letting it sit for a while.
Delicious.
200 ml ish porcelain, about 3.3 grams. Broke the leaf up quite a bit 2/3 loose leaf, and 1/3 big chunk. 4 very satisfying infusions. Pretty short infusion on first, even shorter on second, longer on third, and much longer on 4th. Out of the 3 I would say this one appeals to me the most from the limited experience I have had with them (and puerh). There is what I gather to be 'wet storage taste' but not overpowering this time, just right enough to add to the complexity but not distract from other things. Balanced seems a good word to describe this one.
I will reserve the other 5.3 grams for small pot brewing.

Thanks again guys for making this happen.

Btw, anyone find a cake and brick similar to malay brick and this 8582? I have tried houde's 8582 already but so far my preference is for this one.

:mrgreen:

very interesting experience comparing houde's 98 dry to this wetter 97 8582. Startling differences. From the wet leaf, to the taste, liquor color, feel. Liquor is darker, and I get the feeling of shou even though I have never tried it! :!: :?: :!: :?:
teaisme

Postby solitude » Mar 16th, '12, 02:57

Sorry that I am digging out this thread but I finally tried the last sample (dry stored brick) and you can read my review here: http://norber-t.blogspot.com/2012/03/90s-raw-puerh-brick.html
solitude

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions