Difference between Jin Xuan and Milk Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 30th, '11, 14:13

Difference between Jin Xuan and Milk Oolong

by Yougin » Apr 30th, '11, 14:13

Hi guys,

Can you explain the difference between Jin Xuan and Milk Oolong please? Are those the same tea called in different ways? Or they just tastes similar? I'm confused.

Thanks,
Eugene

Apr 30th, '11, 14:43
Vendor Member

Re: Difference between Jin Xuan and Milk Oolong

by gingkoseto » Apr 30th, '11, 14:43

There is some discussion here
http://steepster.com/discuss/1403-milk-oolong

My opinion:
"In my own understanding, the real, unscented “milk oolong” is Taiwan high mountain oolong made of Jin Xuan cultivar (which is grown in Taiwan, but spread to Fujian and other places later). But in Taiwan, nobody would call it “milk oolong” and it’s simply called by its own name, Jin Xuan. The packages or advertising materials would indicate this tea bears a natural milk aroma. That’s why some people even call this tea cultivar “milk oolong”, which is not a name I like, but of course it’s not forbidden to call it so if people would like to.

If a “milk oolong” is scented (by, I don’t know what, milk, milk powder, fragrant oil?), then I can’t imagine how it could possibly be a high quality tea."
Generally speaking, I think it's just a name. If someday someone decides to name his coffee "milk oolong", it's not illegal :mrgreen:

Apr 30th, '11, 15:36

by lkj23 » Apr 30th, '11, 15:36

I have tried the milk taiwanesse oolong from DTH and is incredible, very good taste but I think is scented, I going to buy a sample of Jin Xuan I´m corious about its taste.

Apr 30th, '11, 15:55

by Yougin » Apr 30th, '11, 15:55

Thanks for your reply!

Does it mean the probability the Jin Xuan tea with notes of milk is higher not to be scented if I would buy a tea labeled just as "Milk Oolong"?

Apr 30th, '11, 22:10

by edkrueger » Apr 30th, '11, 22:10

Yes. Jin Xuan is the name of a cultivar and something is labeled Jin Xuan that is what your are getting. Nobody would fake Jin Xuan because its the most common, cheapest and highest yield cultivar. Also, that said, I would assume that most of the flavored milk tea uses Jin Xuan as it base. Finally, one correction to an earlier poster, Jin Xuan isn't necessarily high mountain tea. I believe most of it is grown at lower altitudes.

May 2nd, '11, 13:25
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 2nd, '11, 13:25

Yougin wrote:Thanks for your reply!

Does it mean the probability the Jin Xuan tea with notes of milk is higher not to be scented if I would buy a tea labeled just as "Milk Oolong"?
Probably the best way to know is to ask the vendor. Mediocre quality Jin Xuan may not have the so called "milky aroma". Roasted Jin Xuan has a different flavor profile with greener style. Some vendors call their non-Jin Xuan, non-flavored tea "milk oolong" too, and different people have different interpretation of what flavor counts "milky" to them.

+ Post Reply