Tuesday TeaDay 5/3/11 Tears of TeaJoy?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Churng was wondering, upon tasting, did a tea ever make you "cry?" Or maybe laugh, smile, uncontrollable grin, sad, happy, etc? Please share, great topic! 8 votes

Yes, cry
4%
Laugh
5%
Smile
20%
Sit down
9%
Say "WHOA"
28%
Sad
7%
Happy
21%
Other
7%

Total votes: 76

May 3rd, '11, 00:14
Scrolling: scrolling

Tuesday TeaDay 5/3/11 Tears of TeaJoy?

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 00:14

GREETINGS! Welcome to a brand new TeaDay ... well, nothing has changed, but it is a new day to experience TEA. Please drop in throughout the day and share what is in your cup.

We previously discussed our greatest TEA for the month of April. I just realized I never shared my pick. So, please feel free to continue to discuss the GREAT topic ... I will be.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Churng was wondering, upon tasting, did a tea ever make you "cry?" Or maybe laugh, smile, uncontrollable grin, sad, happy, etc? Please share, great topic!

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

May 3rd, '11, 03:13

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 5/3/11 Tears of TeaJoy?

by David R. » May 3rd, '11, 03:13

I remember the time not so far away when I was discovering real good quality sencha. I was so pleased when drinking the first sip every morning, that I was actually expressing it out loud. :lol: Japanese teas still surprise me a lot in a good way. They are so different from their chinese and taiwanese cousins. I wish this surprise could last for ever.

Baozhong after breakfast, subtropical forest 2010 from TM.

May 3rd, '11, 07:41

by Warden Andy » May 3rd, '11, 07:41

I once had a tea so good I thought I was going to die, so I laughed like Donnie Darko.

May 3rd, '11, 08:06

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 08:06

... and share the tea(s) that elicited the response(s).

May 3rd, '11, 08:21

by Nenugal » May 3rd, '11, 08:21

When I first tasted YMLE, I said oi! (Norwegian for Whoa), started smiling and even chuckling a bit, and then sat down happily (if I wasn't already sitting, don't remember). My first tastings of Gyokuro, Tie Guan Yin and Genmaicha also caused similar reactions.

May 3rd, '11, 08:38

by jaderabbit » May 3rd, '11, 08:38

When I tried DongDing oolong for the first time, it knocked me off my feet and made me smile uncontrollably. Oh it was good!!
Crappy scented white tea made me cry and gag. :x

May 3rd, '11, 10:36

by tortoise » May 3rd, '11, 10:36

Hmm, I voted other because tea can make me feel a lot of things...though I don't think it's made me cry. Not that I think that isn't possible.

It all comes down to the tea drinkers ability to be receptive to what the tea has to offer and the experience is informed, undoubtedly, by the emotional condition and personality of the tea-drinker.

Generally speaking, good tea makes me happy, though there are a bajillion shades of happy, from moderately pleased to spiritual rejoicing.

Da Hong Pao from the Tea Gallery this morning.

May 3rd, '11, 12:29

by artmom » May 3rd, '11, 12:29

Cry? Yes - the exquisite White Rose Tea that Victoria so graciously shared with me, shortly after I arrived at Tea Chat!! What a Tea and what an Experience! Definite TEArs of Joy!

Smile? Yes - the Golden Lion Assam 2nd Flush from Lochan Tea. Still makes me smile. :)

Happy? Yes - my first and my latest taste of Mariage Freres Marco Polo made me happy! :D

May 3rd, '11, 14:13

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 14:13

OK, still trying to sort out my range of TEA :mrgreen: motions!

Began the TD with Yame Kurogi from Umami-Chaya with the Mrs. Pretty good brewed at 6:5!

Next up, 7132 Organic from O-Cha. :mrgreen:

May 3rd, '11, 14:51

by AdamMY » May 3rd, '11, 14:51

I have had a variety of emotional responses incited by teas, though I can not remember any incredibly specific responses.

I will say that with Highfire TGY, when I collect the drippings and drink them at the end, I think its a good tea/session when I want to shout in short concentrated bursts to burn off extra energy.

May 3rd, '11, 16:49

by teaisme » May 3rd, '11, 16:49

AdamMY wrote:when I want to shout in short concentrated bursts to burn off extra energy.
:lol:

I've drank many that would make me smile,sit down,happy, and whoa.
As for cry, not yet, but I would say pretty damn close, my eyes would water and I would think to myself "what else out of life do I really need, everything is so freaking perfect" (this happens more when I drink a good oolong tea outdoors surrounded by nature). A feeling of blissful joy and contentment, not really sadness.

Now if only I could transfer that feeling into me all the time! I suppose the closer I get to that the more people will think I'm nuts :mrgreen:

May 3rd, '11, 19:06

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 19:06

Sooo, after some thought, I can positively say I had a lot of "whoa" moments, also some major smile moments, majorly happy moments. This was mostly with Japanese greens, most notably Yutaka midori and a few gyokuro selection.

Negatively, had sad and even angry moments, mostly from disappointed rebuys of teas I really liked the first time and when trying the new bag ... it was clearly NOT the same tea. This often meant never buying from the same vendor again!

:mrgreen: Great TD filled with smiles from Yame Kurogi from Umami-Chaya shared with the Mrs. More smiles with Organic 7132 from O-Cha. And more smiles with Yame Gyokuro from Xell. :mrgreen:

May 3rd, '11, 19:11

by Chip » May 3rd, '11, 19:11

Sooo, I do not ever watch Dancing with the Stars, but just found out that our dear friend Priscilla Ahn, singer/songwriter, will be performing a song TONIGHT from her new album that was released TODAY.

I hope you will check her out.

She will also be on Jay Leno on Thursday night.

She has a Korean born mother and American/caucasian father ... and this has created a beautiful blend. :mrgreen:

Her style is mostly folk style music, though has some fusion works incorporating jazz, rock, etc.

May 3rd, '11, 19:29

by brandon » May 3rd, '11, 19:29

Chip wrote:Sooo, I do not ever watch Dancing with the Stars, but just found out that our dear friend Priscilla Ahn, singer/songwriter, will be performing a song TONIGHT from her new album that was released TODAY.

I hope you will check her out.

She will also be on Jay Leno on Thursday night.

She has a Korean born mother and American/caucasian father ... and this has created a beautiful blend. :mrgreen:

Her style is mostly folk style music, though has some fusion works incorporating jazz, rock, etc.
It's like the young Bob Dylan turned into a pretty girl.
And learned to sing. Love it.

May 3rd, '11, 20:53

by auhckw » May 3rd, '11, 20:53

I was in a tea shop, and couldn't taste any tea cause bad throat and coughing my lungs out... Was there to check out teapots.

Then the owner decided to brew us his personal collection of 1930s liu bao... I could only smell and drool, dare not drink... Sad...