Freezing matcha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 5th, '11, 13:22

Freezing matcha

by kaminix » May 5th, '11, 13:22

Hi
Something horrible has happened, my matcha whisk has been attacked... by molds!

I've come to accept the fact that it likely can not be saved. I'm trying out a couple of different techniques now to see if it grows back, however I do believe it will and that I will have to get a replacement.

Anyway, getting that replacement might take some time so I think it would be best to freeze my matcha. Thus comes the question: How?

Normally when you freeze something all the water in the air surrounding it crystallise, then when you defrost it it turns liquid and spills all over your precious tea. Furthermore I think it also attracts more moisture from the surrounding air when you defrost.

My idea is that I'll do this:
1. Put some paper or other dry material inside the matcha bags which will absorb the moist.
2. Wrap the bags in paper too.
3. Put the wrapped bags in an airtight box, possibly a pre-frozen one.

What do you think of this setup? Any ideas for improvements? Any advice against doing this (i.e. it will ruin the tea or it's an unnecessary risk as freezing it will do little good?)?

Best regards,
Alexander Rundberg

May 5th, '11, 13:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Freezing matcha

by Chip » May 5th, '11, 13:27

Cold storage can be problematic, but easily overcome.

Freezing however is too risky IMHO.

Stick with the fridge and do all the wrapping.

May 5th, '11, 13:41

by entropyembrace » May 5th, '11, 13:41

If you´re going to go with cold storage make sure the storage container is airtight and when you do take it out from the fridge/freezer let it reach room temperature before you open.

That should keep condensation from damaging your matcha. Its been working well for me so far with coffee...which once roasted is even more perishable than matcha.

May 5th, '11, 14:20

by kaminix » May 5th, '11, 14:20

Hm. Thank you both.

I actually hadn't even considered using the fridge instead of the freezer, is that really such a good idea? As opposed to the freezer the fridge I think is even more moist than the rest of my apartment and on top of that filled with strange aromas which may affect the tea if the box isn't 100% airtight (even if it only lets in a little air, I think).

May 5th, '11, 14:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 5th, '11, 14:51

As I said problematic, sometimes harder to overcome.

The freezing has a whole big set of problems as well, some you mentioned. There is humidity in your matcha, especially after opening. Go below a certain temp, and it will condense/crystalize. I think I read somewhere, that the tea itself has a water content of maybe 10%, this jacks up each time you open your matcha. It is easy to see the potential problems.

You can always triple/quadruple wrap your matcha. Place it in a place of least humidity/aroma in your fridge. But there is risk.

I have a TeaFridge, a small cube fridge dedicated to tea storage that is opened maybe once every week or two or even less. So, hardly any of these complications. :mrgreen:

May 10th, '11, 14:58

by breakawaymatcha » May 10th, '11, 14:58

Provided you wrap the matcha well and freeze it in a freezer bag, freezing is an ideal way to store matcha that you think you won't use for a while (I got this tip from three different matcha producers). Just be sure to let it sit at room temp for a bit after taking it out. Once you're using it regularly again, fridge is better.

+ Post Reply