Friday/Saturday TeaDay 5/6-7/11 Speed TeaPicking?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How long does it take to pick your next tea to drink on average. So we can get an idea if it is affected by how many teas you have open, also share about how many teas you have open.

A few seconds
38%
At least a minute
4%
Up to a few minutes
31%
Up to 10 minutes
12%
Longer than 10 minutes
4%
Other
12%

Total votes: 26

May 6th, '11, 01:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday/Saturday TeaDay 5/6-7/11 Speed TeaPicking?

by Chip » May 6th, '11, 01:12

Good TeaDay everyone, and welcome! Shall we brew and share what is in our cups today, all day? And of course discuss today's topic.

Yesterday we discussed whether we were listening to music with our tea. You can of course continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Yesterday, I started to wonder. Currently, how long does it take to pick your next tea to drink on average. Although not part of the poll, so we can get an idea if it is affected by how many teas you have open, also share about how many teas you have open.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone (I better start deciding what to drink). Bottoms up!

May 6th, '11, 01:31

Re: Friday TeaDay 5/6/11 Speed TeaPicking?

by entropyembrace » May 6th, '11, 01:31

Usually when I decide I want more tea I have a specific tea in mind so I´ll know instantaneously which one I´m going to choose most of the time....the problems arrise when I don´t have any of the tea I´m craving....then it could take 10 mins or more to decide on a substitute :?

May 6th, '11, 02:45

by karmaplace » May 6th, '11, 02:45

Somedays I'm just downright craving a certain tea, and I pull it out immediately, but lately, especially since the weather's been warmer and I've been more inclined to drinking cold beverages, it takes me a few minutes to pick a tea.

I'll count my open teas when I get back home after work. My boyfriend and I both have colds, so right now my mind's a little too fuzzy to think of all of them. I think I have around seventeen though?

Boricha in my cup today.

May 6th, '11, 04:48
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 6th, '11, 04:48

I know what I have, so I pretty much know in an instant what's next. Sometimes I have it laying out. Of course, there are times when I have to go into the vault and choose something.

May 6th, '11, 09:41

by brlarson » May 6th, '11, 09:41

It generally takes me a second or two to decide what to brew, but that's because I plan my mix of opened teas and I always have teas open that are appropriate for most situations. The spreadsheet helps do that because I always know my stock and consumption-mix and expense.

The only times that I really have to think about what to brew is when choosing tea for family of friends. I never drink great tea alone, and brewing tea for family or guests is always a celebration so they get the best that I have.

Seven Cups DHP again this morning.

May 6th, '11, 09:47

by tortoise » May 6th, '11, 09:47

I generally want a specific tea when the hankerin' comes, so mostly, it's instantaneous. If this isn't the case, I usually anticipate the next tea I'll have, so the choice is made in advance of real tea time.

Like EntropyEmbrace said, the real problem comes when I'm no longer in to the teas I have. Then the decision takes more time.

Big Red Robe with a heavy dose of silence this morning. I need to increase the frequency of tea drinking alone.

May 6th, '11, 09:52

by Chip » May 6th, '11, 09:52

If it is going to be a Japanese green, it takes seconds since there are few choices open. But if I decided it will be something else, wellll, it could take a little while longer. :lol: Seems to be a common theme with TCers?

Other teas are spread out all over the place (though still somewhat organized by type/nationality), and I usually decide by seeing a tea that appeals at the moment.

This morning, the tea selection took a few seconds, Yame sencha Kurogi from Umami-Chaya with the Mrs. which was quite good.

May 6th, '11, 11:15

by debunix » May 6th, '11, 11:15

This morning was quite slow, because I had been planning on sencha, but in my sleeping morning fuzzyheadedness, I clicked the kettle on without clicking the temp button too--so it went right up to 212 and sencha was out. Making the best of it, I picked out the "Tsou ma fei" Ali Shan oolong from Norbu, and am infusing it in my new tiny gaiwan from Dragon Tea House.

May 6th, '11, 13:11

by manekineko » May 6th, '11, 13:11

At least a minute for me. As my tea stash grows, I find it increasingly difficult to decide what tea I'm in the mood for!

Last night was definitely a pouchong night after a really long day; I took my time with it and felt much better. I think a roasted TGY will do well when I return home late late late tonight from rehearsal/possibly the bar.

May 6th, '11, 14:07

by jaderabbit » May 6th, '11, 14:07

I have 4 teas open, not counting the pu'er samples that I'll probably not get back to for another year.
But 2/4 are herbal teas so I guess they don't really count. Other 2 are a maocha and an oolong. I usually just go for the oolong. :lol:

May 6th, '11, 15:26

by Drax » May 6th, '11, 15:26

It normally takes me less than a few minutes to hone in one something and start brewing it. The only time it takes me longer is when I'm hunting down a sample I have written down, but it's somewhere buried in my pumidor...

My current priority is to finish off a lot of older tea (and samples) that have been piling up. In many ways, it's very neat to go back to some of the teas I tried when first really getting into tea...

May 6th, '11, 16:14

by teaisme » May 6th, '11, 16:14

I chose other because sometimes its real fast and sometimes real slow.

I'll just find myself in a slight daze staring at my teas...not really thinking much lol...just sitting there...eventually though something will jump out and say drink me

Other times I will already know what I want to drink but because I have to weigh and refill my drinking bag I skip that tea and move onto something not being stored , the daze sets in more when this happens and when I am dehydrated.

Bags open? 2 chinese green, 1 dancong, 3 japanese green, 5 taiwanese black, 5 taiwanese oolong, one yunnan black. Doing a good job not letting anything be open too long that shouldn't be. Most of greens and greener oolong are nearing the end.

Darjeeling and pu are on the way super long dog drooooool. :mrgreen:

Some bottom of bag lishan today at work

May 7th, '11, 02:33

by Chip » May 7th, '11, 02:33

Great TD as usual, next up was 7132 Organic from the O-C. Followed by Zhu Ye Qing from a fellow TCer.

May 7th, '11, 02:34

by Chip » May 7th, '11, 02:34

Here a bump ...

May 7th, '11, 02:35

by Chip » May 7th, '11, 02:35

... there a bump, everywhere a bump bump!