Wednesday TeaDay 5/11/11 Fave TeaPronunciations

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Drax asked, "do you have a tea [or teaware] name you like to say, often?" Please see the topic and share.

Yes, and it (they) is (are) ...
53%
Sort of ... it is
20%
Maybe
20%
I do not think so
No votes
Nope
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 15

May 11th, '11, 01:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 5/11/11 Fave TeaPronunciations

by Chip » May 11th, '11, 01:16

Greetings TeaFriends! Please stop in and share what is in your cup throughout this day! Also discuss the topic of the day!

Yesterday we discussed, "unlimited wealth, would you still drink the teas you drink currently?"

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Drax wondered, I'm curious what tea name people like to say. For example, I like to say "Da Hong Pao!" Sort of similar to Seinfeld's "salsa" schtick.

The poll is simply do you have a tea or teaware name you like to say, often? Please see the topic and share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

May 11th, '11, 02:56

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 5/11/11 Fave TeaPronunciations

by Nenugal » May 11th, '11, 02:56

Funny question :)
I love saying Tie Guan Yin, Tie Luo Han, Da Hong Pao, Long Jing, Bi Luo Chun, Bai Mu Dan and Pu-erh Bing. It is also fun to practice the pronunciation with my Chinese friends, and even more fun for them I think :lol:

This morning I'm drinking Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori from O-cha (the new YMLE, first taste!), and I also just got a glass of An Ji Bai Cha from a friend. Mmmmm, I like pronouncing that too :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nenugal on May 11th, '11, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, '11, 03:01

by karmaplace » May 11th, '11, 03:01

I love to (and very often) use the word "다구" (tah-gu) since I'm in Korea. It translates to "tea-things" or "tea utensils". :D I tend to use it for just about anything but the tea itself (and in that case I say "차": cha).

I had some iced Japanese Miyazaki oolong this morning, and now I'm trying to fight off my cough with some hot Keemun. 차 차 차! :mrgreen:

May 11th, '11, 03:42

by auhckw » May 11th, '11, 03:42

Somehow whenever I said Pu, it sounded like Poop

May 11th, '11, 06:39

by Drax » May 11th, '11, 06:39

Da Hong Pao!! :D

May 11th, '11, 08:53

by manekineko » May 11th, '11, 08:53

Tie Guan Yin!

May 11th, '11, 10:02

by tortoise » May 11th, '11, 10:02

Haha...yeah. I'm sure I mispronounce everything, even though I always make concerted efforts. I'm not one of those "say it in american" types.

Kyusu has such an elegant dipthong, don't you think?

Cha Qi.

Shiboridashi.

Shui Xian

God, the list could go on forever. Drinking tea has taught my mouth new moves!

I've layed out some Da Hong Pao for tea this afternoon, but none yet this morning. Getting low again, so ration law is in effect.

May 11th, '11, 12:48

by Chip » May 11th, '11, 12:48

SenChaaaaaaaa! And seasonably, ShinChaaaaa. Actually many teas ending in cha. Tai Ping Hou Kui! Luan Gua Pian! Zhu Ye Qing. Yutaka Midori!

Coincidentally they are also fave (green) teas, so fave teas that I like to pronounce would be more precise. :mrgreen:

Began the day with Kurogi Yama Sencha from Umami-Chaya with the Mrs. The name of this tea always makes me think Italian tea. :lol:

May 11th, '11, 13:14

by FlyedPiper » May 11th, '11, 13:14

I like the way the Chinese pronounce Puerh (correctly that is), by blending the syllables together. Sounds like the sound a cat makes when it's happy :mrgreen: .

It's funny having hobbies where the only other people who are interested in something are online. You find out the way you say things in your head everyday are WAY off when you actually hear someone who knows how to pronounce it. :lol:

May 11th, '11, 13:21

by Chip » May 11th, '11, 13:21

FlyedPiper wrote:It's funny having hobbies where the only other people who are interested in something are online. You find out the way you say things in your head everyday are WAY off when you actually hear someone who knows how to pronounce it. :lol:
True that! I was sooo mispronouncing gyokuro for 7 years til I heard someone actually pronounce it (Ippodo's online gyokuro video). I think I blushed even though I was the only person on the planet who knew I mispronounced it for so long. :lol:

May 11th, '11, 13:25

by brlarson » May 11th, '11, 13:25

`Fukamushi' always makes my wife laugh, so I suppose I enjoy saying it for its side effect.

Opened a new bag of Seven Cups 2010 Shui Jin Gui this morning -- still very tasty, has good richness. I am also brewing the last of my 2010 shi feng from Red Circle Tea. This is one of those teas that is ``too expensive to drink''. I generally do not drink teas like this alone, but I opened and used half of the 14gram bag on New Years Day and didn't want to chance having the other half go stale -- I hate wasting anything created through human craft. There won't be anyone around to share this with for weeks, so I decided not to wait. 7gr in 120ml, six infusions so far and going strong; this tea is wonderful. I am looking forward to tasting shi feng from the current vintage!

May 11th, '11, 13:30

by Chip » May 11th, '11, 13:30

brlarson wrote:`Fukamushi' always makes my wife laugh, so I suppose I enjoy saying it for its side effect.
Oh yeah, I would add fuka and asa to the list. How could either not make you smile! :wink: :lol:

*FFGS* (flashes fukamushi gang sign)

May 11th, '11, 13:40

by Stentor » May 11th, '11, 13:40

Gyrocopter. Wait, what? :mrgreen:

I always try to find the correct pronunciation of tea related words on the internet. There are some sites that have audio files of native speakers pronouncing words. I probably still mispronounce tons of words!

That might actually be an idea for a sticky topic by the way! Correct pronunciation of tea terms. We don't have that yet, do we?

"Fukamushi" makes everyone laugh around here as well. "Oolong" also.
I guess it just sounds weird and unknown to most people who have never really spent any time learning about tea.

I'm really not sure what my favorite TeaWord is. Maybe "kyusu". It just sounds nice, as has been mentioned.
Last edited by Stentor on May 11th, '11, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

May 11th, '11, 13:51

by Chip » May 11th, '11, 13:51

Stentor wrote:I'm always try to find the correct pronunciation of tea related words on the internet. There are some sites that have audio files of native speakers pronouncing words. I probably still mispronounce tons of words!

That might actually be an idea for a sticky topic by the way! Correct pronunciation of tea terms. We don't have that yet, do we?

"Oolong" also.
I guess it just sounds weird and unknown to most people who have never really spend any time learning about tea.
There is a tea word topic, but it might be green oriented. Maybe even Japanese oriented. Drax posted it. I will have to look it up. I do not think it included pronunciation however. Good idea.

A true story, Wuyi Oolong always makes me smile. I had a job where we had to have X referrals each week. I was short one week, and created a referral/person named none other than Wuyi Oolong. "His" name kept coming up on reports, etc. I had more than a few good laughs, sticking it to the establishment! :lol:

May 11th, '11, 14:45

by tortoise » May 11th, '11, 14:45

I actually don't like the word Fukamushi, personally, though I do like the tea.

For some reason, the word sounds slightly embarrassing, like a Phil Collins video or something.

Don't ask me where that came from cuz I have no idea.

Da Hong Pao brewed after lunch. Tim recommended to leave it out in the air for 2 days. Well, I left a bit out for 24 hours and then used half of it for a fresh pot, letting the rest sit for the full 48. I brewed it with slightly cooler water than hot off the boil. It comes across less forceful, but some of the flavor is better articulated. I didn't get the pot as full as I would have liked bc I was trying to save some for another session. Looks like I'll have to order more and try again. :D