Hot Brew vs Cold Brew

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 12th, '11, 12:59

Hot Brew vs Cold Brew

by Tamara » May 12th, '11, 12:59

I had never heard of cold brew untill recently and having just finally cut the soda addiction string, I am drinking at least 3 to 4 times the tea I drank previously. Primarily because i like the flavor without sugar which tea is the only drink i can say that about so far. I live in Florida so most my tea drinking is of the iced version. So my question is how much does it change the flavor when you cold brew in the fridge vs make a hot cup of tea and pour it over ice? do you get the potentially healthy parts of tea when you brew it cold as well? Is there a type of tea that is better cold brewed than others. Right now I have been going the sun tea route but I read that can be bad for you. Not sure how true that is so just checking out other options.

May 12th, '11, 15:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Hot Brew vs Cold Brew

by Chip » May 12th, '11, 15:58

Although I cannot answer all your questions, I will say that cold brewing is more forgiving, and can turn even a mediocre tea into a refreshing brew.

In fact, I virtually never cold brew a good or expensive tea for this reason, there are usually some mediocre or teas that are not so great hot that are just sitting around.

May 12th, '11, 16:35

by teaisme » May 12th, '11, 16:35

Tamara wrote:how much does it change the flavor when you cold brew in the fridge vs make a hot cup of tea and pour it over ice
Depends on tea. I've found that in general the lighter/greener the color of the leaf the more enjoyable I find it when comparing it to hot brew, still doesn't beat the taste of hot brew in my eyes though (just feels like its missing something, body and texture are very different. Taste of cold brew is usually very smooth and sweeter then hot brew though. So for darker teas you many want to hot brew then pour over ice.
Tamara wrote:do you get the potentially healthy parts of tea when you brew it cold as well? Is there a type of tea that is better cold brewed than others.
That's a very complex question. I don't think there is a solid answer yet. According to this periodical...Food Chemistry: Volume 119, Issue 4, 15 April 2010, Pages 1597-1604...white tea has increased antioxitant activity (and more polyphenols too) when cold brewed , other types of tea tested did not (just one study don't read too much into it, there is a lot more to tea then just polyphenols)

However...there is a growing belief that iced beverages in general are not that good for you , this has been a belief in TCM, and Ayurveda for ages. I feel it's truth.
Tamara wrote:I have been going the sun tea route but I read that can be bad for you
I have heard this twice too, once in a science journal talking about bacteria growth and once by a tcm doctor (I think his concern was not bacteria but something else I did not quite comprehend). But considering that people do day long brews of puuer and oolong....who the heck knows
Tamara wrote:I live in Florida so most my tea drinking is of the iced version
Have you tried drinking hot tea, or warm/slightly hot tea on a hot day? For many in the middle east and asia, in places it is very hot this is common practice. There are a whole lot of people that believe it will actually cool you more. Consider trying it and let me know how you feel! In 10 mins, 20 mins, 1hr , 2 hrs. etc. Does it help trick your body into thinking its not that hot?

Personally I think this is true. When the AC goes out where I work, and everyone is sweating balls, I am drinking hot tea and not breaking a sweat so.....

May 12th, '11, 21:42

by Tamara » May 12th, '11, 21:42

Thank you both for your responses. This has definitly made me decide to at least give cold brew a try. I probably wont give up on my suntea either quite yet till there is more reason to belive it could cause illness.

I was blaming the state I live in just to keep it simple but really its just me that cant stand hot beverages. I am not sure why but I just dont like hot coffee, hot tea, hot cocoa, or hot cider unless i am very very very cold. When it is cold out i just drink it room tempurature or slightly chilled, no ice. I have a lot of theory's but I have just learned to accept it.

Health benefits I will just have to take the same stance as I do with food, try for healthy but be happy with not bad for me.

Thanks again.

+ Post Reply