2011 Official Shincha Review Topic!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '11, 21:15
Scrolling: scrolling

2011 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by Drax » May 12th, '11, 21:15

Chip wrote:Woo hoo! Shincha is upon us. I know several members have received some Shincha 2011!

Please post your thoughts here.

And the 2011 Shincha Ordering Topic is still available if you are still ordering! I am ... http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15362
Once again, I've carefully edited Chip's post to create a place to focus on 2011 purchases.

I've got my shincha in from o-Cha, but haven't broken into the two that I ordered yet... been focusing on the matcha (I've had a much longer break w/ match than I've had w/ sencha... it has been a happy reunion).

How's everything tasting??

Is your face glowing with joy...? :D

May 12th, '11, 22:32

Re: 2011 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by Chip » May 12th, '11, 22:32

... and stickied!

Let the fun begin! :mrgreen:

May 12th, '11, 22:47

by edkrueger » May 12th, '11, 22:47

Me first! Kinari and regular Shincha came in from Maiko today. Had two session of regular Shincha, it is good. Not much umami and some floral taste, other wise pretty average.

May 13th, '11, 01:38

by Seeker » May 13th, '11, 01:38

I can't find Kaoru Supreme LE - did it sell out?!?!
I did order some shincha tho - can hardly wait till it arrives!

May 13th, '11, 02:54

by Chesslover » May 13th, '11, 02:54

I was also looking for O-cha's YM Kaouru Supreme LE...there's only ordinary YM offered, but in the description it is said:
Similar to our classic Yutaka Midori, we came across this particularly good supply of an unusually high quality Yutaka Midori and knew we had to offer this to our customers. Most likely, this will remain a "limited edition" green tea as supplies for this appear to be limited.
So which one do they sell? Kevin?

May 13th, '11, 03:26
Vendor Member

by Xell » May 13th, '11, 03:26

This is my first shincha season, so can't compare to anything. But shincha i had was certainly different, more fresh and strong flavor, less bitterness than usual ichibancha sold all year. About 10 days ago recieved Yame fukamushi "88 nights" shincha. Really enjoyed this, especially second brew surprised me. I usually have problems getting right second infusion, but with shincha it's always a success :)

Few days ago i also got Ureshino shincha, this is actually tamaryokucha. But i think it's really similar to asamushi shincha, also lightly steamed, but different shape of leaves. I tried it right away in shop, difficult to describe taste, but quite complex, i could pick up many different notes. Yame shincha has more creamy and round taste. After first infusion, tea shop owner strongly shook kyusu, gave it to me and asked to open lid and smell it. This was really nice experience :) Amazing aroma.

Well, i can't say which one i like more, difficult to pick up. Certainly i enjoy all kinds of steaming, there is no favorite.

May 13th, '11, 07:27

by Chip » May 13th, '11, 07:27

Chesslover wrote:I was also looking for O-cha's YM Kaouru Supreme LE...there's only ordinary YM offered, but in the description it is said:
Similar to our classic Yutaka Midori, we came across this particularly good supply of an unusually high quality Yutaka Midori and knew we had to offer this to our customers. Most likely, this will remain a "limited edition" green tea as supplies for this appear to be limited.
So which one do they sell? Kevin?
The YM "Classic" and the YM LE are not available from O-Cha this shincha. As quoted, they are offering an all new selection.

Alas, this will be the first year in 5 that I will not be able to get the classic, the first sencha to really blow my mind ... and many others as well. Hooray, a new YM that will hopefully be even better. :mrgreen:

May 13th, '11, 08:50

by edkrueger » May 13th, '11, 08:50

Xell wrote:...shincha i had was certainly different, more fresh and strong flavor, less bitterness than usual ichibancha sold all year...
Your experiences of shincha differ from mine. Shincha offerings are a bit more astringent and bitter than the same ichibancha you can get later. I think, maybe, the tea you got as shincha is just less bitter in the first place.

May 13th, '11, 10:08
Vendor Member

by Xell » May 13th, '11, 10:08

edkrueger wrote:
Xell wrote:...shincha i had was certainly different, more fresh and strong flavor, less bitterness than usual ichibancha sold all year...
Your experiences of shincha differ from mine. Shincha offerings are a bit more astringent and bitter than the same ichibancha you can get later. I think, maybe, the tea you got as shincha is just less bitter in the first place.
Possible to get such difference just between years? I've heard several times, that 2010 year is "soso" for tea. Well, seems i'm lucky then, since i like only light trace of bitterness :)

May 13th, '11, 13:09

by edkrueger » May 13th, '11, 13:09

Are you comparing the same tea offering from last year versus this year's shincha?

May 14th, '11, 15:43

by zemlemer » May 14th, '11, 15:43

I've tried Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori from O-cha. It's wonderful tea with gorgeous vegy aroma. I love it. I think it should be my №1 in 2011. But.. waiting for another shincha:)

Also I tried Shincha Sencha KINARI from Maiko. It's asamushi sencha, as I understand. Aroma is very good, but too light taste. I brewed 5gr - 150ml - 70 degree for 1 min. Too light. I tried 1.5 min - much better, but aroma also better than taste:(. Maybe I go wrong way or may be it's typical for asamushi.
Finally, could I try another asamushi?

May 15th, '11, 11:04

by odarwin » May 15th, '11, 11:04

pardon my question if its in the wrong place to ask...

but is there also shincha for matcha?
ive been seeing lots of sencha and gyokuro shincha, but no matcha... i was hoping to have an order of a mix if sencha, gyokuro, and matcha all shinchas...

thanks!

May 15th, '11, 11:30

by tortoise » May 15th, '11, 11:30

Chip wrote: The YM "Classic" and the YM LE are not available from O-Cha this shincha. As quoted, they are offering an all new selection.
Huh? I have a bag of 2011 YM LE shincha in my fridge and two more on the way. They must have sold out because they definitely had it.

May 15th, '11, 12:15

by Chip » May 15th, '11, 12:15

tortoise wrote:
Chip wrote: The YM "Classic" and the YM LE are not available from O-Cha this shincha. As quoted, they are offering an all new selection.
Huh? I have a bag of 2011 YM LE shincha in my fridge and two more on the way. They must have sold out because they definitely had it.
From the O-Cha forum ...
Kevangogh wrote:Kagoshima shincha Yutaka Midori and Sae Midori are now in stock, pre-orders shipping.

Note: There really is no more "LE" on Yutaka Midori anymore. I used to buy two different versions but due to our changed circumstances, there is only one YM from here on out. I chose the best out of 8 samples I received and this year, the maker that I chose is not the same one that made LE last year. Green teas can vary quite a bit from year to year - I just go for the best I can get my hands on. 2010 YM LE was quite stellar, hope everyone is pleased with what I went for this year...
When you look at Kevin's shincha page, it just states Yutaka Midori, though it looks like he has to update the description ... I get the feeling Kevin is focused on the shincha teas and orders at the moment. :mrgreen:

If the labels say LE, that is probably a practical thing, just using the labels he has.

May 15th, '11, 13:01
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » May 15th, '11, 13:01

I hate to discuss this on someone else's boards but since other people are bringing it up...

At the time I offered pre-ordered YM (April 1st, 2010), I assumed I would be carrying the same version ("LE") as it was outstanding. Also, this was after the earthquake and my situation changed with the supplier of the original "classic" (as some people call it.) When it came time to actually make the purchase shortly after harvest, I had 8 different YM to choose from. Of those, one was from the same grower I had purchased "LE" from last year. It was still good, but this year there was another one from a different grower that I thought was better so I went with that instead. I buy the best, I don't care who makes it. What can be the best one year might only be second best the next year. My job is to buy the best tea for my customers, I know they are going to buy it and compare it against others. The only reason I had an "LE" in the first place was because this new variety was offered to me in the middle of 2010 and I thought it was good so picked it up and only expected it to be "limited edition."

So we now have one YM instead of two. I don't call it "LE" anymore because this is now my main YM. It's not from the guy who made the "classic", and it's not from the guy who made the "LE" last year. If sometime during this year someone offers me some outstanding YM that's better than our current YM, then I will naturally want to offer it.

+ Post Reply