Hello from Ecuador!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 1st, '11, 13:27

Hello from Ecuador!

by ninavampi » May 1st, '11, 13:27

I have always loved tea and was first introduced to loose leaf tea in 2004 when I was studying in the US. One of my roommates had ordered some teas from Adagio, so I quickly looked into it and became instantly hooked.

I love all sorts of tea. My favorites are probably oolongs and greens.

I also love dogs. I have a beautiful French Bulldog named Sencha! : )

I currently live in Ecuador, where there sadly is barely any tea to be found... Any time I travel to the US I make sure to bring back a LARGE amount of tea to have around (last time I literally brought back an entire suitcase!)

I am open to any suggestions for my orders for my next trip )as to retailers and teas in particular).

May 1st, '11, 14:48

Re: Hello from Ecuador!

by Coppery Cup » May 1st, '11, 14:48

Welcome, Nina!

I would think any larger city would have a decent tea shop or two. The only physical retailers I have shopped at are TeaGschwendner, Teavana, and Ten Ren Tea. I would recommend TeaGschwender over the others, but they only have stores in Chicago and New York, I think. Online is a good way to purchase tea and lots of vendors have free shipping if you spend $50 or $100-which I suspect you will if you are filling a suitcase :)

May 2nd, '11, 08:47

by rabbit » May 2nd, '11, 08:47

Welcome! I used to have a friend from Ecuador! There is always the internet, many of us get our tea by ordering it online. I hope to see you around the forums!

May 8th, '11, 17:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 8th, '11, 17:57

Hi Nina, pardon my late welcome! We hope to see you around the forum! Please share what is in your cup on TeaDay!

May 14th, '11, 02:41

by ninavampi » May 14th, '11, 02:41

Hi again! Sorry for not checking back on this post for a while!

While Quito is a big city, it is a big city in third world country standards. To top it off, there really isn't a tea drinking culture at all! In fact, it will come as a surprise to most that even being a big coffee producer, almost all of the coffee consumed in the country is instant!!!! :shock: I have found one little tea shop, that is surviving. Unfortunately most of their tea has been sitting around for over a year now, meaning that it is pretty stale (I recently bought some green tea that I actually had to throw away due to it tasting like a moldy closet... :( )

Thankfully I am fine with bringing my tea into the country. And yes, when I place my orders they are at least at $50, I have to make sure I get enough until I get to come back!!!!!!

+ Post Reply