Hello!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 15th, '11, 17:46

Hello!

by Redin » May 15th, '11, 17:46

Hi! My name is Redin, and I'm from Georgia! I've been drinking tea my whole life, usually the cheap iced tea you would find at Walmart. However, a few months ago I was hanging out with some of my friends and one of them made some tea. At first, I was expecting it to be the same tea I had always had, but I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it. I found out later that it was the Blueberry flavored Black Tea that you can find with the sampler pack. I instantly fell in love and decided to start making my own.

So, here we are. A few months later and I finally decided to make a post on here. My current favorite tea is a Spiced Apple Chai, though the Blueberry Black Tea is a close second.

Unfortunately, I have not perfected my brewing abilities, so I'm always experimenting with various different techniques. So, hopefully I'll be able to find some advice here as well as meet some cool people!

May 15th, '11, 17:58

Re: Hello!

by debunix » May 15th, '11, 17:58

Welcome!

It's a friendly place here. Draw up a chair, pour yourself a cuppa, and dive in! You're already ahead of the game if you've discovered samplers.

May 16th, '11, 00:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 16th, '11, 00:03

Welcome Redin to TeaChat. Hope to see you around the forum. Let us know what is in your cup on TeaDay.

May 16th, '11, 09:59

by Rachel Garber » May 16th, '11, 09:59

According to Bruce Richardson, contributer to "Tea Time" magazine and author of The New Tea Companion: A Guide to Tea Throughout the World, the following are the proper brewing times for various teas. Black tea: 4-5 min at 212 degrees; Oolong tea: 4-7 min at 195-210 degrees and Green tea or white tea: 2-5 min at 165-175 degrees.

May 16th, '11, 12:57

by AdamMY » May 16th, '11, 12:57

Rachel Garber wrote:According to Bruce Richardson, contributer to "Tea Time" magazine and author of The New Tea Companion: A Guide to Tea Throughout the World, the following are the proper brewing times for various teas. Black tea: 4-5 min at 212 degrees; Oolong tea: 4-7 min at 195-210 degrees and Green tea or white tea: 2-5 min at 165-175 degrees.

But there are many different ideas of how to get the best out of the leaf, those times and temps are only "guidelines" and "standard" for certain types of tea. But if we turn you into an Asian tea convert you will likely find those times shockingly long.

May 17th, '11, 03:59

by FlyedPiper » May 17th, '11, 03:59

Welcome Redin!

I grew up on suntea in the summer and bags of hot tea with milk and sugar when I had a cold.

If you hang around here long enough you will be surprised at the varieties of teas and brewing methods you can explore. It's a big world of tea, I suggest you keep an open mind and try lots of different types. One day you're drinking flavored black tea out of a bag and a month later you're whisking matcha in your teacave!

I still like suntea in the summer and hot tea with milk and sugar when I'm sick, BTW. :wink:

Only now my iced tea is houjicha and my sweet tea with milk is masala chai :roll:

+ Post Reply