Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Chip » May 17th, '11, 15:16

Teaware Special Offers (SO) are rather popular on TeaChat, well teaware in general really. We currently have a Hagi SO (and beyond) and a TA SO (featuring TeaChat TeawareArtisans).

However I am certainly always open to suggestions, no promises, but I am definitely listening.

Please feel free to post suggestions here, general or very specific. I will certainly consider member suggestions as I consider ideas for making the SO program more universal in appeal and scope.

Soooo, don't be shy, others may be considering similar ideas as well ... and your suggestion could become the next SO.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby tortoise » May 17th, '11, 15:45

Xiao Pin!

I don't know if we have any direct sources or artists, but I can think of a few Chinese nationals on TC who could help us find one.

I don't know, have you ever done an yixing SO before? Let's get some
<110 ml zisha clay up in here!

User avatar tortoise
Posts: 705
Joined: Sep 01, '10
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Drax » May 17th, '11, 16:00

tortoise wrote:Xiao Pin!

I don't know if we have any direct sources or artists, but I can think of a few Chinese nationals on TC who could help us find one.

I don't know, have you ever done an yixing SO before? Let's get some
<110 ml zisha clay up in here!


I've been on a small yixing teapot kick lately, so sounds good, but... I gotta ask, how would this be different from a 'bulk buy?' What makes it 'special?'

Or does a Yixing SO = bulk buy?

I ask these questions because I really don't know. I guess I'm also asking Chip -- what makes an SO an SO? If an artist breaks out a mold and creates 25 teapots because there's 25 buyers.... is that an SO?

If the artist used a rare, old, or hard-to-find clay... is that an SO?

So please don't misconstrue my questions! I am intrigued...! :D

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2914
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Chip » May 17th, '11, 17:39

Drax wrote:
tortoise wrote:Xiao Pin!

I don't know if we have any direct sources or artists, but I can think of a few Chinese nationals on TC who could help us find one.

I don't know, have you ever done an yixing SO before? Let's get some
<110 ml zisha clay up in here!


I've been on a small yixing teapot kick lately, so sounds good, but... I gotta ask, how would this be different from a 'bulk buy?' What makes it 'special?'

Or does a Yixing SO = bulk buy?

I ask these questions because I really don't know. I guess I'm also asking Chip -- what makes an SO an SO? If an artist breaks out a mold and creates 25 teapots because there's 25 buyers.... is that an SO?

If the artist used a rare, old, or hard-to-find clay... is that an SO?

So please don't misconstrue my questions! I am intrigued...! :D

These are good questions. Simply put, an SO is typically ... special, extraordinary, different, unique (as a group), limited run. Anyone payng attention to the SOs to date can attest they are indeed ... special. :mrgreen:

Also generally a special price consideration! I remember early on being a bit too focused on offering below market priced Hagi SOs. My primary focus for SOs is that they are truly special ... and then at a price that is below market value. This is a seemingly impossible task.

So, they are not simply a group buy deal ... however this is possible under certain circumstances.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby entropyembrace » May 17th, '11, 17:44

I like the idea of more TA SO´s....if the TA´s are interested anyway.

User avatar entropyembrace
Posts: 2051
Joined: Mar 03, '09

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby tortoise » May 17th, '11, 17:53

entropyembrace wrote:I like the idea of more TA SO´s....if the TA´s are interested anyway.


And this as well. Do you need specific TA suggestions? I mean, we've got some pretty heavy hitters....


Here's a brilliant idea: How about a TA Mizusashi? Those are extremely special IMO, and to have an opportunity to purchase one for less than 300 bucks would be awesome.

Of course, I'll be the first to bail if the price isn't just right. :cry:

User avatar tortoise
Posts: 705
Joined: Sep 01, '10
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Drax » May 17th, '11, 19:20

Cool, thanks, Chip (:

tortoise wrote:
Here's a brilliant idea: How about a TA Mizusashi? Those are extremely special IMO, and to have an opportunity to purchase one for less than 300 bucks would be awesome.


A mizusashi would certainly be pretty neat. I just recently bought my 3rd (one for work), but I'm a sucker for a beautiful piece of pottery... :D

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2914
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Chip » May 17th, '11, 20:01

entropyembrace wrote:I like the idea of more TA SO´s....if the TA´s are interested anyway.

Processing ... processing ... ... ... OK, done! Look for one very soon! Actually seriously. :mrgreen:

There are several lined up.

tortoise wrote:Here's a brilliant idea: How about a TA Mizusashi? Those are extremely special IMO, and to have an opportunity to purchase one for less than 300 bucks would be awesome.

Interesting idea. :idea:

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby lkj23 » May 18th, '11, 19:27

I´m interested in a nice yixing pot ( i´m thinking buying DHP from YS) about 130ml, but is not a problem if more or less. (with oolong when leaves open the volume of tea is very little, so for 2 people I would like 130ml)

User avatar lkj23
Posts: 244
Joined: Mar 20, '11
Location: Spain

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby hopeofdawn » May 19th, '11, 11:18

Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like. I'd also include yixing in that, except I know less about them (and have more places to find/buy them ...)

User avatar hopeofdawn
Posts: 592
Joined: Dec 13, '10
Location: Seattle
Contact hopeofdawn:

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Chip » May 19th, '11, 11:24

hopeofdawn wrote:Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like.

Shiboridashi coming up! :mrgreen:

So a Yixing SO around what size?

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby hopeofdawn » May 19th, '11, 11:29

Chip wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like.

Shiboridashi coming up! :mrgreen:

So a Yixing SO around what size?


I'm not sure if I have a preference for an exact size in mL, but in general I tend to think smaller would be better--one-person sized teapots are the ones I use daily at home, while the bigger ones just sit around more often than not, gathering dust until I have company. :(

User avatar hopeofdawn
Posts: 592
Joined: Dec 13, '10
Location: Seattle
Contact hopeofdawn:

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Drax » May 19th, '11, 12:27

hopeofdawn wrote:
Chip wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like.

Shiboridashi coming up! :mrgreen:

So a Yixing SO around what size?


I'm not sure if I have a preference for an exact size in mL, but in general I tend to think smaller would be better--one-person sized teapots are the ones I use daily at home, while the bigger ones just sit around more often than not, gathering dust until I have company. :(


Personally, I would prefer 120mL or less.

And I'm still curious what will make the Yixing SO "special" -- clay? shape?

Also very excited about the shiboridashi... enjoying some kyuusu brewed gyokuro as we speak.

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2914
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby Chip » May 19th, '11, 12:41

Drax wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:
Chip wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like.

Shiboridashi coming up! :mrgreen:

So a Yixing SO around what size?


I'm not sure if I have a preference for an exact size in mL, but in general I tend to think smaller would be better--one-person sized teapots are the ones I use daily at home, while the bigger ones just sit around more often than not, gathering dust until I have company. :(


Personally, I would prefer 120mL or less.

And I'm still curious what will make the Yixing SO "special" -- clay? shape?

Also very excited about the shiboridashi... enjoying some kyuusu brewed gyokuro as we speak.

What would make it special, I have no idea at this writing! Thus the suggestion topic. I would also have to have a "discussion" with potential supplier(s) of such an SO.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teaware SO SUGGESTION topic

Postby lkj23 » May 19th, '11, 12:56

hopeofdawn wrote:
Chip wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:Would love to see a SO for some of the more unique/harder to find teaware out there--houhin, shiboridashi, banko and the like.

Shiboridashi coming up! :mrgreen:

So a Yixing SO around what size?


I'm not sure if I have a preference for an exact size in mL, but in general I tend to think smaller would be better--one-person sized teapots are the ones I use daily at home, while the bigger ones just sit around more often than not, gathering dust until I have company. :(


It depends on the type of tea. I´m drinking now a lot of taiwanese oolong, love their floral and sweet taste, and when leaves open the volume of tea the pot pour is very little, I think even 130-150 is fine for a person.

Today I was using a 250ml pot for 2 people and then I continued alone and I have used a 120ml cup for this teapot :shock:

User avatar lkj23
Posts: 244
Joined: Mar 20, '11
Location: Spain


Today's Poll



Community

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests