Thursday TeaDay 5/26/11 Repeating Teaware?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Speaking of repeating, as you go from tea to tea, do you tend to use the same pot and cup(s)? Or do you seek variety in your teawares as you go from tea to tea? Please share.

Yes, same pot and cup usually
12%
Same pot, different cup
24%
Same cup, different pot
16%
Different pot and cup
44%
Other
4%

Total votes: 25

May 26th, '11, 01:56
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 5/26/11 Repeating Teaware?

by Chip » May 26th, '11, 01:56

Greetings TeaFriends around the world. Welcome to a new TeaDay. Please drop in throughout the day and share what is in your cup. Also discuss today's topic.

Yesterday we dicussed repeating teas. Please continue to vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Speaking of repeating, as you go from tea to tea, do you tend to use the same pot and cup(s)? Or do you seek variety in your teawares as you go from tea to tea? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

May 26th, '11, 02:49
Vendor Member

Re: Thursday TeaDay 5/26/11 Repeating Teaware?

by IPT » May 26th, '11, 02:49

I ALWAYS use different teapots and cups for each new tea I brew.

I try hard to use all of my teacups so I always use different ones. One of my favorite parts of a tea session has to be when I go into the tea vault and pick out a tea and its corresponding teapot and then pick out a teacup. I have an antique tea tray that I place the items on, then I carry the tea and tea ware to my desk. It kind of adds to the ritual.

May 26th, '11, 05:01

by karmaplace » May 26th, '11, 05:01

Always a different pot for different teas. I favor certain cups over others for certain types of teas, but I do try to mix them up every now and then. I have enough different pots and cups that I could easily use a different pot and cup for just about every brew for a few days. :lol:

Tenkei tori matcha and okuyutaka sencha today. Awesome and delicious tea day so far. :mrgreen:

May 26th, '11, 06:51

by Drax » May 26th, '11, 06:51

Hrm, I mostly stick to the same brewing pot, because I have pots dedicated to different types of tea. I will switch up a lot with gaiwans, though.

For a new-to-me tea, I also tend to start in a clear (bodum) or white (e.g., Tempest) cup so that I can appreciate the true color of the tea. Once I'm familiar with it, I'm more likely to switch to a different cup.

I'm "all alone" today at work (well, that is, my tea drinking co-worker is out), so I have a wide array of choices to choose from. I think I might go with a nice cup of gyokuro this morning...

May 26th, '11, 10:50

by twinofmunin » May 26th, '11, 10:50

I mostly drink sencha, and switch between kyusus depending on the type of sencha and the mood I am in... and switch cups 'cause otherwise they'd all sit idle! Cup choice depends mostly on my mood, though.

May 26th, '11, 11:02

by jaderabbit » May 26th, '11, 11:02

I use my little gaiwan for everything now. Cups? Whatever is clean and white or transparent so I can see the tea color. :lol:

May 26th, '11, 11:36

by hopeofdawn » May 26th, '11, 11:36

I tend to switch out my pots/cups because I want to make sure they're all being used and appreciated--but I also tend to pick my teaware based more on what I'm doing than the kind of tea I'm brewing (yixing being the exception, of course.) Like in the morning, I break out the bigger cups or mugs so I can gulp down a quick cup or two before runnning to the bus ... But if I'm at home and have more time to fuss with things, out comes the bigger teapots, the faircup and the smaller cups ...

The only exception being my antique Satsuma set. That only comes out on special occasions--or when I'm feeling especially girly. :P

May 26th, '11, 11:47

by tortoise » May 26th, '11, 11:47

I prefer to switch it up every time. Sometimes I cannot due to the teaware I own. Currently drinking a lot of shincha from one hagi cup, but alternating between a Masaki banko kyusu, a Hokujo tokoname kyusu and Unzen tokoname shiboridashi.

When brewing oolongs I have two pots that brew more or less all the same teas (yan cha), but one is larger than the other.

May 26th, '11, 12:03

by David R. » May 26th, '11, 12:03

I switch pot according to the tea I am brewing. But I can stick to the same cup(s) for a couple of days. It is true for all cups except a few I keep for a particular type of tea, such as the Rock for sencha or a few thin-glazed yunomi I have. Same thing for Bizen which sticks to japanese teas.

Back slowly to tea after 4 days of nothing due to a cold which transformed everything to water... And of course, these days were the ones I received 2011 teas... :roll: This weekend is going to be fun !

May 26th, '11, 12:46

by Chip » May 26th, '11, 12:46

IPT wrote:I ALWAYS use different teapots and cups for each new tea I brew.

I try hard to use all of my teacups so I always use different ones. One of my favorite parts of a tea session has to be when I go into the tea vault and pick out a tea and its corresponding teapot and then pick out a teacup. I have an antique tea tray that I place the items on, then I carry the tea and tea ware to my desk. It kind of adds to the ritual.
Pretty similar actually. I first pick the tea, then scout for the right pot, and then the right cup(s) ... everything must suit the tea and the moment, the mood ... this greatly enhances each tea, personally.

Each tea consists of a repeat of the same procedure, never the same pot twice in the same day. However sometimes for simplicity, the cup will carry over to the next tea, but only if it still suits the new tea and the moment/mood.

May 26th, '11, 14:15

by teaisme » May 26th, '11, 14:15

For work I have 2 bigger pots 240-260ml, one porc, one yixing
yixing is seasoned for light green taiwanese oolongs
everything else goes into the porc
I have one faircup and 3-4 small porc cups I change around , and one small yixing cup that pairs well with the yixing

So yeah 8 pieces that constantly repeat at work
Home is another story.

Two houde aged dancongs today at work. Brewed 2.5g of each (not mixed together). Playing around seeing the outcomes when split into two bigger infusions.
Last edited by teaisme on May 26th, '11, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, '11, 14:23

by Nenugal » May 26th, '11, 14:23

I usually don't re-use the same pot or cup, unless the next tea is quite similar to the previous one. Now trying a sample of Beidou No. 1.

May 26th, '11, 17:28

by tortoise » May 26th, '11, 17:28

YM shincha from O-cha this morning. This afternoon, I am looking forward to trying Ippodo shincha -- which arrived today. Yay.

May 26th, '11, 17:34

by AdamMY » May 26th, '11, 17:34

Really depends on my mood, and how recently I have acquired a certain piece of teaware. If I have a new piece I am much more likely to use it when possible several times in a row, but typically I try and mix things up a bit depending on season and mood.

May 26th, '11, 20:52

by nickE » May 26th, '11, 20:52

I usually seek variety, although I use certain pots for certain teas. Right now I have Yixing pots for aged Puerh, Wuyi/Roasted TGY, and Hongcha. Most other things go in a gaiwan. Except Sencha, for which I have a small Kyusu.

Cups can be very random, pretty much whatever my mood dictates.

Drinking 2010 Manmai at the moment, great stuff. I actually had a session of this about a week ago with my girlfriend and was quite surprised that she enjoyed it. :shock: