Friday TeaDay 5/27/11 TeaRoutines?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Is there a typical type of tea that you start your days with, your mid days, your later days? Please be sure to share.

Yes, most definitely
14%
Yes, pretty much so
41%
Maybe
9%
No, not really
32%
No, definitely not
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

May 27th, '11, 01:04
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday TeaDay 5/27/11 TeaRoutines?

by Chip » May 27th, '11, 01:04

Greetings TeaFriends. Welcome to TeaDay. We hope you will drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Be sure to vote and discuss the day's topic.

Yesterday we discussed consecutive tea and teaware. Please continue to vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Is there a typical type of tea that you start your days with, your mid days, your later days? Please be sure to share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone! Bottoms up.

May 27th, '11, 01:47

Re: Friday TeaDay 5/27/11 TeaRoutines?

by Nenugal » May 27th, '11, 01:47

I usually start the day Japanese, with matcha and sencha. Then around lunch time I turn Chinese, and drink green, oolong and/or sheng.

Today it was time to take out my new hira-chawan for practising the use of low-edged chawan without splashing matcha all over the place...
Bilde0226a.jpg
Kyo-yaki hira-chawan
Bilde0226a.jpg (25.2 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

May 27th, '11, 03:05

by gargoylekitty » May 27th, '11, 03:05

I've found myself settling into a routine of starting off with a bowl of matcha, then some sencha, then Chinese greens during and around worktime, and finishing with some oolong or pu'erh in the evening.

Today broke from that though, had the matcha but have been glass brewing Chinese greens all day. Longjing at the moment, then bed.

@Nenugal- Pretty!

May 27th, '11, 08:50

by jaderabbit » May 27th, '11, 08:50

Haha me too! Matcha, sencha, then some Chinese oolong. Matcha is a really addicting habit, it's becoming a morning ritual for me. :?

May 27th, '11, 09:46

by brlarson » May 27th, '11, 09:46

Rock tea in the morning, occasionally during winter I"ll have matcha instead. Japanese green, usually sencha, at lunchtime. For the coming year, if I have late afternoon tea it will most likely be sencha too, as I'm planning to drink more Japanese greens this year.

Jing's traditional shui xian this morning.

May 27th, '11, 10:13

by tortoise » May 27th, '11, 10:13

I think I'm still establishing routines. They get disturbed, though, when I discover new teas.

In general, I like sencha in the morning and yancha at night. Rock teas have no effect on my sleep, but sencha will keep me awake for some reason.

This morning I had Ippodo's Shincha. Visually, the most impressive sencha I've had to date. Very thin, but strong perfectly formed little pine needles. Flavor is not as floral or fruity as the Tsuen asamushi shinchas, but definitely deeper with more body.

May 27th, '11, 17:30

by Chip » May 27th, '11, 17:30

My routine for years was black to start the day. Oolong next. Then greens the rest of the day.

Then I decided to focus on greens ... though I did not realize at the time how focused I would become.

Today I brew up Sencha every morning and actually have for several years. The rest of the day might vary, but first tea is always sencha!

And of course began the TD with sencha, Yutaka Midori LE from the O-C with the Mrs. as is the routine.

Next up, organic Yama no Ocha from Umami-Chaya.

May 27th, '11, 21:02

by debunix » May 27th, '11, 21:02

Most TeaDays start with sencha, and on workdays, usually there's a midday thermos bulk brew of something that tolerates such abuse well, oolong or puerh. In between, after, and otherwise, anything goes.

Today, started with Norbu's Zairai Honyama sencha, moved on to an exceptionally sweet infusion of the 2010 spring Alishan oolong, also from Norbu, and now going to go for green again with some Premium Organic Dragon Well from Wing Hop Fung.

May 28th, '11, 01:07

by Skippyandjif » May 28th, '11, 01:07

Pretty much so. The first tea of the day is usually something with more caffeine-- pu-erh, Yunnan black, or rose congou. Caffeine doesn't actually affect me unless it's in huge doses (like, really strong black coffee, and a lot of it), so it's more psychological, sort of a way of telling myself that the day has started.

During the day I drink a lot of iced green tea. Especially in the summer, because I play Dance Dance Revolution or soccer every day, so I get seriously thirsty.

At night I drink green or white tea, or a tisane. Those have calming, mellow tastes to me.

Pu-erh this morning; plenty of iced green tea during the day (it was HOT here); and I'm being screeched at by my kettle because the water for my hibiscus tisane just boiled. :lol:

May 28th, '11, 02:01

by Chip » May 28th, '11, 02:01

Thanks Nenugal for coloring our TeaDay!

Finished the TD with Fujitsubo gyokuro! Very nice gyo!

May 28th, '11, 02:07

by Chip » May 28th, '11, 02:07

... guess what, yesterday's TeaDay will carry over to Saturday. :shock:

Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic, share what is in your cup ... and discuss whatever in our TC TeaRoom.

As a bonus, does your TeaRoutine per yesterday's topic change during the weekend? If yes, please share how.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up. :mrgreen:

May 28th, '11, 05:53

by m147 » May 28th, '11, 05:53

Chip wrote:... guess what, yesterday's TeaDay will carry over to Saturday. :shock:

Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic, share what is in your cup ... and discuss whatever in our TC TeaRoom.

As a bonus, does your TeaRoutine per yesterday's topic change during the weekend? If yes, please share how.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up. :mrgreen:

what? it's already saturday. has been for 19 hours. haha
anyway today (saturday 28th) i started off with a dark oolong, but haven't had any thing else yet. right now a beer (asahi) after work and later to brew some yame shincha.

i've got some jongjing and three trypes of oolongs on the way so we'll see how that changes things, when i get them.

May 28th, '11, 06:48

by laura99 » May 28th, '11, 06:48

Most every morning starts with black tea for me. Ruby black tea this morning.

That is changing a bit as I widen my tea selections, so sometimes a oolong or white tea. For some reason sencha and Chinese greens do not sit well on my stomach early in the morning.

The rest of the day is up for grabs