Jun 1st, '11, 02:04

tingjunkie: 110ml Yixing Kyusu for sale- $40

by tingjunkie » Jun 1st, '11, 02:04

Hey Folks! Time to thin out the Yixing herd to help pay for a lovely chawan I couldn't pass up. This pot performs very well, but I just don't use it enough and would like to see a TeaChatter get some use out of her.

Sorry for the dark lighting here...

Clay: Pin Zi Ni. High fired for zi ni. Rings when tapped.
Size: 110 ml
Age/Year: Modern- late 2000's.
Walls: Quite Thick
Pour: +/- 5 sec. Multiple hole filter. Crazy fast! No drips. Perfect lid fit. Stops on a dime when the vent hole is covered.
Source: Shop in Flushing, Queens
Tea Pairing: Japanese green tea, Chinese green tea, or Gao Shan (Taiwanese high mountain oolong).
Info: I'm sure the pot was made for export to the Japanese market- it is quite high fired for a zi ni pot, which points to its intended use with Japanese green teas (a lower fired clay will begin to smell funky with sencha, gyokuro, etc). When I bought it, I knew the small lid opening was going to be a limiting tea-pairing factor and would rule out any tea with long/twisted leaves. The walls are very thick and hold in heat quite well. I already have a nice Tokoname kyusu for Japanese greens, and honestly I don't drink them all that much to begin with. On the advice of a friend, I tried some Gao Shan in the pot. I was worried the purple clay would take too much of the aroma and high notes away, but as it turns out, it didn't. It made a truly excellent brew in fact. The thick walls really threw a ton of heat at the tea (what I think Gao Shan really needs in order to shine) and brought out a new depth of flavor.

Just to avoid the headache of eBay listing, I'll let her go to a new loving home for $40 + shipping

Jun 2nd, '11, 12:44

Re: tingjunkie: 110ml Yixing Kyusu for sale- $40

by shinobicha » Jun 2nd, '11, 12:44

Hi Tingjunkie,

Do you have a picture of the filter, or even if its from a different pot, the kind of filter it has?
TC'er Drax linked me to this post.
Looks like a neat pot!

Thanks.

Jun 2nd, '11, 13:02

by gasninja » Jun 2nd, '11, 13:02

love the pot wont work for my tea needs though mainly pu and yan cha

Jun 2nd, '11, 18:23

by tingjunkie » Jun 2nd, '11, 18:23

shinobicha wrote: Do you have a picture of the filter, or even if its from a different pot, the kind of filter it has?
Hi shinobicha. Unfortunately, due to the shape of the pot, getting a picture of the filter isn't possible. It's a flat 7 holed Yixing style filter though. Not the rounded "golf ball" type, and not the fine sesame filter like some Japanese kyusu have. I tried searching the web for a pic of the style filter and came up empty. If you want, I could go take a photo of a different pot I own if you're not sure what I'm describing. Just let me know!

Jun 2nd, '11, 18:28

by tingjunkie » Jun 2nd, '11, 18:28

Found one! It's like the filter in this pot, but with 7 holes instead of 9: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p154486

Jun 3rd, '11, 01:31

by shinobicha » Jun 3rd, '11, 01:31

Thanks a lot Tingjunkie, for going to the trouble to find a picture!

Hmm... the only issue I'm having is I'm needing a pot that can brew both asamushi and fukamushi, and I'm afraid this filter would completely stop up with deep-steamed teas. Don't you think?

Jun 3rd, '11, 03:47

by Tead Off » Jun 3rd, '11, 03:47

shinobicha wrote:Thanks a lot Tingjunkie, for going to the trouble to find a picture!

Hmm... the only issue I'm having is I'm needing a pot that can brew both asamushi and fukamushi, and I'm afraid this filter would completely stop up with deep-steamed teas. Don't you think?
I can tell you most filters, except the metal inserts you find in some Japanese kyushu, will clog up. Personally, I don't want a metal filter in my teapot and can live with the clogging effect that I normally get with everything I have except a shiboridashi. This seems to be regardless of the shape of the pots. The nature of fukamushi is mush. It is tasty mush.

Sorry, TJ. I couldn't resist answering his question on your thread. Good luck. Nice and interesting shape.

Jun 3rd, '11, 09:29

by tingjunkie » Jun 3rd, '11, 09:29

No problem Tead. I'd agree that fuka is going to be an issue for most filters. I've tried gyokuro in this pot before. It certainly doesn't stop up completely, but it lets a few more particles through than my kyusu with a sesame filter, and it does take a little bit of proper pouring technique (gently rocking back and forth) to be optimal.

Jun 3rd, '11, 12:06

by shinobicha » Jun 3rd, '11, 12:06

Tead Off wrote:
shinobicha wrote:Thanks a lot Tingjunkie, for going to the trouble to find a picture!

I can tell you most filters, except the metal inserts you find in some Japanese kyushu, will clog up. Personally, I don't want a metal filter in my teapot and can live with the clogging effect that I normally get with everything I have except a shiboridashi. This seems to be regardless of the shape of the pots. The nature of fukamushi is mush. It is tasty mush.

Sorry, TJ. I couldn't resist answering his question on your thread. Good luck. Nice and interesting shape.

Thanks Tead Off - I don't have any experience except with the metal inserts, so that is really good to know.
So you're saying the clogging effect isn't a big deal?
My only concern as such is that it would get bitter because you can't get all the tea out. However, even now with the metal filter that I use, I have to use a technique to pour it out and ensure there isn't any tea left getting bitter at the bottom.
'Tasty mush' - that is a great description :lol:

This is good to know, simply since I was intending to get a pot with a sasame (or like) filter.

Jun 3rd, '11, 13:11

by tingjunkie » Jun 3rd, '11, 13:11

shinobicha wrote: So you're saying the clogging effect isn't a big deal?
My only concern as such is that it would get bitter because you can't get all the tea out. However, even now with the metal filter that I use, I have to use a technique to pour it out and ensure there isn't any tea left getting bitter at the bottom.
'Tasty mush' - that is a great description :lol:

This is good to know, simply since I was intending to get a pot with a sasame (or like) filter.
I've never owned any sencha pot that does a perfect job draining all the tea out- even the one with the fine sesame clay filter leaves some. I'm going camping tonight, but if the pot hasn't sold by Sunday, I'll make some gyokuro with it and report back here. I want to make sure this pot ends up with someone who will be happy with it! :mrgreen:

Jun 4th, '11, 09:02

by Tead Off » Jun 4th, '11, 09:02

shinobicha wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Thanks Tead Off - I don't have any experience except with the metal inserts, so that is really good to know.
So you're saying the clogging effect isn't a big deal?
My only concern as such is that it would get bitter because you can't get all the tea out.
You have to adjust your brewing technique for fukamushi. Personally, I find it annoying but I like fukamushi. I like gyokuro, too. If you don't adjust the technique, it will get bitter. But, if you know what your pot is giving you, you can adjust for this in most cases.

Jun 4th, '11, 09:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 4th, '11, 09:38

... and adjust pouring technique accordingly ... but some pots no matter what, the screen may clog too quickly when pouring fukamushi, and you will have tea in the pot that simply cannot get through the screen, really frustrating when this happens.

Then other pots, the screen will allow way too much particles to pass through.

Either case is not good for optimum sencha taste.

Jun 11th, '11, 20:08

by tingjunkie » Jun 11th, '11, 20:08

Bump:

Hello all. Just wanted to let any interested parties know that this pot will be going to eBay on Monday. I'll throw in free shipping to the U.S. for any TeaChatters who want to grab it before then.

Jun 24th, '11, 00:51

by biberkopf » Jun 24th, '11, 00:51

Hi tingjunkie!
I would really like to buy it. How I can contact with you and pay for it. :D