2001 YYX Mengku Thin Paper @ RLT - Worth it?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 5th, '11, 10:40

2001 YYX Mengku Thin Paper @ RLT - Worth it?

by tieguanyin » Jun 5th, '11, 10:40

So it appears that Red Lantern Tea is carrying the (in)famous 2001 YYX - thin paper from Mengku.

By natural storage, I wonder what they mean. From the pictures, I am guessing dry storage.

Based on the item description and pics, does this look like the genuine thing? How does the price compare to other outlets selling this tea (Taobao, etc,...)? Reasonable, overpriced, too low to be genuine thing?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TGY

Jun 5th, '11, 11:21

Re: 2001 YYX Mengku Thin Paper @ RLT - Worth it?

by TokyoB » Jun 5th, '11, 11:21

The thin paper (dry storage as opposed to thick paper = wet storage) version is available from Bana Tea in the US for $170. I trust Bana Tea.

http://banateacompany.com/pages/puerh_teas-Aroma.html

Jun 5th, '11, 11:38

by shah82 » Jun 5th, '11, 11:38

The cheapest you can get the dry stored is probably from nicolas tang by a few buck over Bana Tea Company's $170 shipped to US customers.

Is it worth it to purchase? I wouldn't be that inclined to do so, generally on the principle that pre-2004 expensive teas are far more expensive than they are really worth. Also, it's been my experience that famous teas everyone has heard of are famous because people want to sell them. They are usually inferior to teas that goes to preferred customers or just has slipped on by, unnoticed but for a few fans. Moreover, most of the famous teas that you really do want to get your filthy hands on, are more than $300, among less interesting fare at that price. Your Big Green Tree Blacks of the world...

Jun 5th, '11, 13:01

by TokyoB » Jun 5th, '11, 13:01

Nicolas also generally sells samples so that might be your best bet for determining whether it is worth it. Shah82 had some good comments on that issue. I didn't want to hazard an opinion since it is too personal a decision. I agree though that "famous" teas sell at a premium and therefore are generally not as good value. I did buy some though. I will say that I find it much more interesting than the wet storage/thick paper version. I would not purchase that.

Jun 5th, '11, 13:23

by MarshalN » Jun 5th, '11, 13:23

I personally think this tea is worth maybe $80-100, but not $170-180. At that price you have better things you can do with your money.

Jun 5th, '11, 13:26

by wyardley » Jun 5th, '11, 13:26

It was possible to get this tea quite a bit cheaper in HK about a year ago (I bought mine more in the range Dr. M is talking about), however, I have heard that prices have gone up, so $170 or so is probably not too bad if this is a tea you really want in your collection. If you're in the US, especially, I'd agree with the suggestion to buy from Bana tea - her source would be the most reliable possible for this tea.

I think Cloud buying lots of it and then hyping it in his book is part of the reason the tea is so hyped.

Jun 5th, '11, 21:10

by tieguanyin » Jun 5th, '11, 21:10

Thanks for all the input everyone. Premium price may be worth it once one factors in the airfare to HK, accomodations and lack of foreign language skills :mrgreen: ! Did not realize that thin vs thick paper on this one had to do with the type of storage. Did they use a special paper that becomes thicker with wet storage?

BTC sounds like a good option should I decide to plunk some $$ on this cake. I have ordered from RLT in the past and did not have any issues with their products or service.

Is there a thread on TC for most hyped and over-price puerh cakes? If yes, it sounds like this one should be on it!

Jun 5th, '11, 21:23

by wyardley » Jun 5th, '11, 21:23

tieguanyin wrote: Did not realize that thin vs thick paper on this one had to do with the type of storage. Did they use a special paper that becomes thicker with wet storage?
The tea seller just decided to store the thin and thick paper versions differently; the thick paper tea has wetter storage. Both have some degree of storage taste, but the thin paper one is much drier stored.

http://phyllsheng.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... a-mtn.html
http://www.cloudsteacollection.com/html ... 010_e.html
[in Chinese only for now, but there's some about this in his book]

Jun 5th, '11, 23:43

by gasninja » Jun 5th, '11, 23:43

just got the thin paper thru Banna Tea on Friday. I havn't got around to drinking it yet.I loved the thick version so I don't think I be disapointed. The service was exceptionale and I got some really nice samples including a nice old sheng thats not yet on the site. I'll try it tomorow and let you what my inexperienced palate thinks.

Jun 6th, '11, 00:02

by odarwin » Jun 6th, '11, 00:02

i have this and i also bought this around the range of what marshaln said...
i think for that price its worth it, and i feel that $170 is a little bit too expensive. thou my tong is sitting there being aged. i feel that its best to sit in a jar for a few months before drinking. i have a small chuck to try along the way, and id say that its really fragrant, thou at this stage, i feel that it still lacks body and will do better after a few years

Jun 11th, '11, 15:19

by tieguanyin » Jun 11th, '11, 15:19

MarshalN wrote:I personally think this tea is worth maybe $80-100, but not $170-180. At that price you have better things you can do with your money.
Any suggestion on what would be a better purchase at that price range? I know preferences are subjective but still curious anyway.

Jun 11th, '11, 16:24

by shah82 » Jun 11th, '11, 16:24

I think, to me, the best VFM for any single item in the $170-$180 range is the ounce of early sixties maocha offered at HouDe. There is very little out there that isn't terrible VFM in that price range, unless you're in asia and can sample your way too happy. If you must have a bing, I suspect that The Mandarin's Room Yiwu isn't bad for the money.

Jun 12th, '11, 09:41

by apache » Jun 12th, '11, 09:41

I'm sampling the dry stored version right at the moment, IMHO, it is not worth $170. It is too light weight and I cannot see how the texture will improve by storage and aging, astringency yes, but not body and texture. But I'm bias and have prejudice against any tea which is thin.

Jul 20th, '11, 01:55

by puer_shengcha » Jul 20th, '11, 01:55

I've tried together Tang's one and this one. I've a picture, but can't upload it (too big).

This one has been stored a little more wet than the other one. It seems to me that there are been stored in more wet condition than many houde's teas, but drier than almost all EoT ones.

I prefer RLT one.

Even if I will buy one to have a different tea, I don't think this is worth. One can find in China or in Paris more interesting ones at very lower prices (I think the price has growed since this is famous).

Jul 20th, '11, 03:03

by fdrx » Jul 20th, '11, 03:03

may i ask you where in Paris??

+ Post Reply