Oolongs from theFormosa.com: yea or nay?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 17th, '11, 19:10

Re: Oolongs from theFormosa.com: yea or nay?

by AdamMY » Apr 17th, '11, 19:10

bagua7 wrote:
I do simply because I look at the health properties of the tea FIRST and FOREMOST, flavour aroma and all that jazz comes second in my list.
In theory the healthiest teas would likely be powdered such as Matcha, as only so much of the leaf can be extracted, but when consuming the whole leaf you will get the most from the leaf. Although you likely won't make friends on this forum by claiming that all you care about from tea is its Health properties.

I am sure many of us on this forum would highly consider becoming criminals should Tea suddenly be outlawed. I am sure most would also drink it if it were shown to have damaging effects to the health effects similar to alcohol, or cigarettes.

Again I can not speak for everyone, but from the people I tend to talk to, the consumption of tea is a love affair for us.

Apr 17th, '11, 20:32

by edkrueger » Apr 17th, '11, 20:32

Where do you get the idea that higher altitude growth tea is healthier? All teas have the same chemicals in them –though in different concentrations. However, a brewed cup of tea has very little of any of these chemicals –I've heard that 99 percent of brewed tea is water. If you believe in tea health then quantity should matter the most.

Apr 17th, '11, 21:49

by fire_snake » Apr 17th, '11, 21:49

I drink tea regularly for the health benefits. I drink *different kinds* (some more expensive than others) for the taste, aroma, and sensual experience.

The former is my motivation, and the latter is a wonderful by-product I intend to exploit to the fullest. Sometimes, I enjoy it so much I forget about the health benefits!

But of course, that's just me. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Apr 26th, '11, 15:03

by teaisme » Apr 26th, '11, 15:03

What I would like to know is how can you tell a tea is healthy just by considering the mountain/elevation. Yes it makes a difference, but there is a lot of tea grown at 1000-2200 m that is still junk (the mountain ranges in Taiwan are generally all pretty high)

Aren't there so many factors that affect a plants well being and balance other then just elevation and mountain location.

As for Dayuling and lishan good luck on your hunt

I get the feeling sometimes that a lot of people view all high mountain tea as something grown very remote, away from everything, in perfect harmony with nature....this is the image most vendors like their tea to portray...there are plenty of pristine harmonious tea gardens out there, but just as many lazy quick buck ones too.

btw, if health is your number one concern, why are you not looking at organic teas? You know they still use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides on a lot of 'high mountains' tea right?
bagua7 wrote: edkrueger wrote:Shan Ling Xi is a sub category of Shan Lin Xi of which Teamasters offer 4 different types.

Care to edit that because it is rather confusing. Thanks.
:| Hum....you already know what he means so what is so confusing about it?

May 2nd, '11, 09:32

by lkj23 » May 2nd, '11, 09:32

it would be good if somebody of those experts in oolong teas buy samples of this web. I think teas in Taiwan aren´t as expensive as other websites selling

May 5th, '11, 12:13

by manekineko » May 5th, '11, 12:13

Forgive the newbie question: I see lots of links to a blog entitled "Teamaster" but there's no storefront for purchasing tea. What am I missing?

May 5th, '11, 14:07

by teaisme » May 5th, '11, 14:07

his blog has a section called Chinese Teas and Wares
Click to see, email him for price list

May 5th, '11, 14:19

by manekineko » May 5th, '11, 14:19

churng wrote:his blog has a section called Chinese Teas and Wares
Great, thanks a bunch. Seems a bit convoluted, but his reputation proceeds him around here so I'll give it a try.

May 5th, '11, 14:43

by lkj23 » May 5th, '11, 14:43

manekineko wrote:
churng wrote:his blog has a section called Chinese Teas and Wares
Great, thanks a bunch. Seems a bit convoluted, but his reputation proceeds him around here so I'll give it a try.
Here his tea and teaware

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2005/07/ ... #comments/

May 6th, '11, 15:40

by bagua7 » May 6th, '11, 15:40

Last edited by bagua7 on Dec 13th, '11, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, '11, 09:22

by lkj23 » May 7th, '11, 09:22

I have bought theirs samples, let´s see how they are

May 9th, '11, 13:44

by teaisme » May 9th, '11, 13:44

bagua7 wrote:
churng wrote:
bagua7 wrote: edkrueger wrote:Shan Ling Xi is a sub category of Shan Lin Xi of which Teamasters offer 4 different types.

Well, I think that user is the one who should make that statement. You are just being rude. Thank you.
Ok now I'm the one that's confused...your welcome?

May 31st, '11, 18:51

by lkj23 » May 31st, '11, 18:51

4 samples bought.

First try: Spring 2011 Da Yu Ling Oolong Tea------->average, very little bitterness and little floral fragance. A lot of better DA yu ling in this price range

Jun 5th, '11, 19:19

by edkrueger » Jun 5th, '11, 19:19

churng wrote:
bagua7 wrote:
churng wrote:

Well, I think that user is the one who should make that statement. You are just being rude. Thank you.
Ok now I'm the one that's confused...your welcome?
Thanks Churng. Bagua7, here is my response :roll: :

Oct 27th, '11, 03:48

by djlau » Oct 27th, '11, 03:48

Nowadays it's not uncommon even in Taiwan, for famous mountain ranges to be used as "brand names" for labeling.

San Lin Xi refers to an area. Like the Chinese, Taiwanese people love expensive things. The higher the price, the more rare, the better. The west has naturally become heavily influenced by the same ideology because we go to learn from people that tell us exactly this. Finding ways to drive the price up, that's how commerce works. What we should really be asking is if a tea is from such and such mountain, but simply: is this good tea?

+ Post Reply