Scrolling: scrolling

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by Stentor » Jun 6th, '11, 11:17

LOL this is hilarious.

Jun 6th, '11, 12:58

by Drax » Jun 6th, '11, 12:58

I swear every year there's a news story about how some vendor is frying some new crazy thing at the state fairs (fried coke, fried beer, etc). It now appears they've turned to frying dust. And howling dust, at that...! :lol:

Jun 6th, '11, 23:16
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 6th, '11, 23:16

Isn't that amazing! I wonder how they got the English for it. It almost seems that they just chose words randomly from a dictionary. Like I said, I just had to have it. Good thing it was dirty cheap.

Jun 7th, '11, 00:40

by Chip » Jun 7th, '11, 00:40

IPT wrote:Isn't that amazing! I wonder how they got the English for it. It almost seems that they just chose words randomly from a dictionary. Like I said, I just had to have it. Good thing it was dirty cheap.
I receivd a pair of rather ugly canisters from a member knowing their ugliness and the quote ... I asked for them actually. One is bright key lime pie green and the other is lavender pastel.

They are Japanese, double lidded and very functional, well made in every respect, not cheap. So this company went to a lot of trouble and expense to have these canisters made, yet this is all they say ...
The preservation method of shincha
it puts into a can and keeps in a
refrierator.Since shincha tends to
absorb the smell of other things
let's make it not keep it together with
food,spices,etc.with a strong smell,
although of a scent is good.
That is all they say ... perhaps the worst overall graphic designed canisters I ever saw.

I mean why bother ... :lol:

Jun 7th, '11, 03:46
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 7th, '11, 03:46

That is brilliant! When you get your computer fixed, I would love to see a photo.

I do not know why people seem to have so much trouble writing in English. It is not really that hard to find someone who could fix a translation.

Jun 7th, '11, 07:45

by JRS22 » Jun 7th, '11, 07:45

IPT wrote:I do not know why people seem to have so much trouble writing in English. It is not really that hard to find someone who could fix a translation.
I say the same thing in Chinese and Thai restaurants - I could proofread the menu while waiting for my order.

Jun 7th, '11, 13:34
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 7th, '11, 13:34

JRS22 wrote:I say the same thing in Chinese and Thai restaurants - I could proofread the menu while waiting for my order.
I have actually done just that in exchange for free dinners.

Jun 7th, '11, 14:54

by wyardley » Jun 7th, '11, 14:54

JRS22 wrote:
IPT wrote:I do not know why people seem to have so much trouble writing in English. It is not really that hard to find someone who could fix a translation.
I say the same thing in Chinese and Thai restaurants - I could proofread the menu while waiting for my order.
I think it actually is not so easy, especially as many food names are hard to translate or specialized (i.e., ingredients for which there is no English name), and many of these restaurants have large menus. Names of dishes may be hard to translate in a way that keeps the sense of the original name.

Even in terms of basic translation, many restaurant owners (even here in the US) don't have easy access to someone who's fluent in English, and of course, once a menu has been printed, it's often difficult to print new ones. Sure, it's easy to ridicule flaws in translation that are obvious to us, or which sound funny (glutton vs. gluten, master greens vs. mustard greens, etc.), but the fact of the matter is, most Chinese and Thai restaurants here are not charging a whole lot, and most of them are probably doing a lot better than any of us would do in an unfamiliar country / language without the help of a native speaker.

I really try to not laugh too much about these kinds of mistakes, and I don't waste a lot of time worrying about it, as long as I can get a sense of what the dish is. Learning a foreign language late in life is very humbling, and I would rather eat good food than look at a perfect menu.

Jun 7th, '11, 16:21
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 7th, '11, 16:21

Here is another tea container. It is made of pewter in Shantou by the Kut Hing company. Shantou in China's Guangdong Province was famous for its pewter production until the 1950's. I do not know enough about pewter to date this piece, but it is still quite lovely and the patina of the pewter is really wonderful. My photographic skills are not good enough to really show how nice it is.
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (22.15 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

Jun 7th, '11, 17:42

by Drax » Jun 7th, '11, 17:42

Wow, that's a beautiful pewter piece, IPT!

Have you been able to test it for lead? As you probably know, older pewter tended to use lead in the tin alloy mix... maybe not so much of a problem for storage, but I'd still be concerned about rub-off from any oxidation products...

Jun 7th, '11, 21:27
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 7th, '11, 21:27

It is old enough that I am pretty sure it has a pretty decent lead content, so it will be used as a shelf weight. I have enough tea containers, so I do not need to use it. It should have an inner lid which is missing.

Jun 7th, '11, 22:06

by Chip » Jun 7th, '11, 22:06

IPT wrote:It is old enough that I am pretty sure it has a pretty decent lead content, so it will be used as a shelf weight. I have enough tea containers, so I do not need to use it. It should have an inner lid which is missing.
Awww, come on, what is a little lead in your tea? :mrgreen: Thanks for more sharing!

Jun 7th, '11, 22:39
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 7th, '11, 22:39

I posted it for you Chip. I know your fondness for tea tins and containers. I have bunches more, but you will have to wait. :lol:

Jun 10th, '11, 15:02
Scrolling: fixed

by el gringo » Jun 10th, '11, 15:02

I've acquired a number of tea wares since the last time I posted here, mostly from Dragon Tea House.

50ml yixing cup from Canton Tea Co.

Ceramic tea caddy from DTH, fits around 100g of roll tea like TGY.

Tea spike thing for breaking up some tuo cha.

Cool 100ml cup that my parents picked up for me on their travels.

My favourite, celadon glazed faircup.

Jun 10th, '11, 15:58

by debunix » Jun 10th, '11, 15:58

I like the especially graceful lines on that faircup.