Robert Fornell Ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Jun 9th, '11, 02:25

Re: Robert Fornell Ceramics

by Tead Off » Jun 9th, '11, 02:25

Motofuji died in 2003. Their famous studio, Asbestos, was sold. We lost touch with the daughter.

Through my wife, I know many dancers and also get to see performers, especially from Japan. It doesn't surprise me that many talented dancers need to work at other jobs to support themselves. Public funding and general interest in cutting edge dance is limited. Koichi Tamano and his wife run a restaurant in S.F. These 2 are genius performers and the heirs of Hijikata.

Jun 9th, '11, 16:09

by Robert Fornell » Jun 9th, '11, 16:09

togei wrote:Thanks for the link.
Very interesting comment about moving the genre forward.
When I came to Japan way back I was doing performance art. One of my initial projects, not completed, was to do performances on a new way to do the tea ceremony. I came here to study Ankoku no Butoh and my aesthetic was, and probably still is, influenced by Hijikata and Ohno of Butoh fame. I started researching spaces for the project. If you have ever been to the Osaka Sky Building, coming from J.R. Osaka via the underground tunnel you will have passed through one of my main performance space interests. I had very interesting reactions to my idea to move the tea ceremony from a tea room out into the 'real' world, none of it positive. I don't say that as a judgement about Japanese people but more as a comment on what the ceremony represents here in Japan and how 'moving it forward' is in itself an interesting concept.
Dave
Thanks Dave and Tead Off.

I understand what you're saying Dave as I sometimes feel that many people, not just in Japan but worldwide, interperate tradition with the repetition of what's come before rather than a wonderful foundation to build into the future on. I saw this in Mungyeon as I urged younger potters to really look at what was before them and then digest and move it forward.

As one working on the edge of the "tea world", read Sadou, who makes tea dogu which hopefully function as such but also strive to function on more conceptual levels ( ie. chawan hewn from blocks of ice reflecting the temporal/fleeting nature of life, 儚い, after the on going Tohoku disaster) I feel much of Sadou outside of Japan has somewhat ossified. Again I am somewhat distant from it here. Returning to Japan however, I find a huge sense of liberation/relief and creative freedom as I see/know of many younger chajin/architects as well as potters who are working to keep the "tradition" alive by moving it forward..... giving oneself permission. It is Rikyu's shu-ha-ri in practice.

Another view of Matsumura-san's Shuhally in Yokohama.

http://www.cera.co.jp/column/casestudy/041/
Tead Off wrote:Motofuji died in 2003. Their famous studio, Asbestos, was sold. We lost touch with the daughter.

Through my wife, I know many dancers and also get to see performers, especially from Japan. It doesn't surprise me that many talented dancers need to work at other jobs to support themselves. Public funding and general interest in cutting edge dance is limited. Koichi Tamano and his wife run a restaurant in S.F. These 2 are genius performers and the heirs of Hijikata.
My first Japanese language teacher when I lived in Kyoto in the late 80's was reknown butoh dancer Katsura Kan. None of us in our small class of 3 or 4 knew who he was until one day he showed up in class only wearing a loin cloth. He then proceeded to "draw" kanji with his body..... something I'll never forget.

Best to you both,
R

Jun 9th, '11, 22:38

by Tead Off » Jun 9th, '11, 22:38

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love that image of Katsura Kan!

Dec 20th, '11, 10:49

by Robert Fornell » Dec 20th, '11, 10:49

From a month or two ago....
Attachments
Fornell_Tengu Chawan 1_popup_1.jpg
Fornell_Tengu Chawan 1_popup_1.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

Dec 20th, '11, 23:12

by Tead Off » Dec 20th, '11, 23:12

Hi Rob, beautiful chawan.

I saw Katsura Kan here 2 weeks ago. Chatted with him after his show. He lived here in BKK for 4 years teaching at Chulalongkorn Uni. He is 63 and in remarkable shape.

I hope to be in Japan this spring.

Dec 22nd, '11, 04:59

by bonjiri » Dec 22nd, '11, 04:59

robert

fantastic chawan !

love the surface !

i'm getting thirsty !

cheers ! happy holidays from our family to yours ! !

cory

Dec 22nd, '11, 12:10

by JBaymore » Dec 22nd, '11, 12:10

Beautiful as usual Robert.

Happy Holidays.

best,

..................john

Dec 23rd, '11, 11:40

by Robert Fornell » Dec 23rd, '11, 11:40

Tead Off wrote:Hi Rob, beautiful chawan.

I saw Katsura Kan here 2 weeks ago. Chatted with him after his show. He lived here in BKK for 4 years teaching at Chulalongkorn Uni. He is 63 and in remarkable shape.

I hope to be in Japan this spring.
Thanks Jeff and good hearing from you as well as about Katsura Kan.

Your trip to Japan sounds great! I'm pretty tied up with a number of NCECA shows and workshop as Seattle is hosting it this spring so I won't be heading to Japan until that is over.

Best holiday wishes to you and your wife!
Rob

Dec 23rd, '11, 11:41

by Robert Fornell » Dec 23rd, '11, 11:41

bonjiri wrote:robert

fantastic chawan !

love the surface !

i'm getting thirsty !

cheers ! happy holidays from our family to yours ! !

cory
Thanks Cory!

Best to you and yours in Japan as well..... how I miss Oshougatsu!
Rob

Dec 23rd, '11, 11:44

by Robert Fornell » Dec 23rd, '11, 11:44

JBaymore wrote:Beautiful as usual Robert.

Happy Holidays.

best,

..................john
Thanks John and I hope to see you at NCECA.

Best wishes to you and yours!
Rob

Nov 25th, '12, 17:02

by Robert Fornell » Nov 25th, '12, 17:02

John Baymore may have already shared this with folks but if not I thought that all here might enjoy it.

http://issuu.com/cavinmorris/docs/chawan_catalogue2_a

Also a member here recently inquired regarding newer work so I will post this as well:

http://issuu.com/cavinmorris/docs/r.fornell

Happy holidays to all!
:)

Nov 25th, '12, 18:42

by Seeker » Nov 25th, '12, 18:42

Re: catalogue 2...

OMG!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...pardon me while I attend now to some personal hygiene.
:wink:

Thank you for sharing Rob!

Nov 25th, '12, 19:55

by JBaymore » Nov 25th, '12, 19:55

Robert,

Shared the Cavin-Morris catalog from the Chawan Invitational here a good while back. But thanks for posting it again.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=225

Your solo exhibition looks fantasic too. Wish I could have gotten down there to see it.

best,

...................john

Nov 27th, '12, 21:12

by Robert Fornell » Nov 27th, '12, 21:12

Thank you John and Seeker.

The chawan show, which while a lot of hard work and filled with challenging logistics, was fun to curate as it was interesting to see such a variety of very high quality chawan with a very broad range of expression coming together all at the same venue. Along with that, it provided an opportunity for folks involved with tea to challenge themselves a bit on a deeper level as to how they view/define a chawan and it's context which hopefully will lead to new ways of looking at and utilizing the dogu. This might tie into the shu - ha - ri concept about which I posted last year......... :wink:

R

Mar 6th, '14, 12:58

by bonjiri » Mar 6th, '14, 12:58

robert

aloha

hey, please update us with your travels and shows !

mahalo
cory

+ Post Reply